• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if this has been covered but I wondered if there was a general consensus on the fabrics available from Suitsupply (I'm in the UK) and whether there were any picks to consider/avoid?

For context, I'm hoping to spend around £700 ish on a three piece and I gather this isn't enough for the level above suitsupply - plus I'm pretty sure I've left it a bit late to get a decent MTM in that time with a five week lead time. As such I'm hoping Suitsupply will save the day. Currently thinking full canvas plus waistcoat will allow me a bit of an upgrade on the fabric from the basic options but unsure if there is a view on whether they are worth it/if there is a particular fabric supplier I should be seeking out?

If anyone is London based I'd be curious to hear whether people think I might do better getting a RTW from a respectable place and tailoring to fit in that time (I gather I'm pretty normal proportion wise)

Thanks for any advice!

Custom made is likely not feasible for you, given that you only have five weeks and custom made can easily take longer than that to make. On top of that, you have to allocate time for additional alterations.

But that’s not the only option. SuitSupply’s RTW garments are quite good and their in-house alterations tailor can modify your garment to a great fit. For your price range, you should be able to get a full canvas suit.

To answer your question about fabrics, I’m not an expert in that area, but my personal experience with their fabrics has been great. All my suits are medium-weight wools, 8–10 Oz. weight, woven by VBC.

Where do you plan to wear this suit? What color(s) are you thinking?

Davidos

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an appointment soon for a MtM order soon, and I am looking to acquire a brown suit for Fall / Winter.
As this will be my first brown suit, I am looking for some help with details. This would be for my job - work in education - but also to be worn at the weekend with an OCBD or a polo shirt.
I would go for a classic half-canvassed, ideally mid-brown tone with some texture, and a windowpane pattern (light brown undertone that would blend nicely). The doubt remains with the chest pocket, shoulders and pockets.
Chest pocket: boat or rounded patch?
Shoulder: lightly padded or soft?
Pockets: patch or slanted flaps?

All my suits are from Suit Supply - with constructed shoulders and jetted pockets except for the last one - and so far I have:
- Single worsted breasted navy plain suit with notch lapels - three pieces
- Double breasted navy suit - a bit heavy with a pattern which looks like a reppe
- Single breasted navy chalk striped notch lapels- three pieces
- Single worsted breasted suit with peaked lapels in plain mid-grey - two pieces
- Single worsted breasted suit with notch lapels in plain charcoal - three pieces
- Double breasted worsted plain charcoal suit
- Single worsted breasted suit with notch lapels in mid-grey P.o.W. - two pieces
I would go with a boat pocket, soft shoulders and rounded patch pockets.

pomor

Reaction score
My custom mades are here. I will pick them up tomorrow and write some feedback here about the fabrics
I wonder if they didn’t cancel your order because, perhaps, your order was already in the initial stages of being made when they realized you paid very little, and ours have not had any work started on so they canceled them

EDIT: Although many of us did get a secondary email informing that the work had, in fact, been started, But this was most likely just a generic email anyway just to let you know that the payment went through and the Chinese tailors got the orders in.

sorry, voice typing from mobile, pardon grammar and style

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if they didn’t cancel your order because, perhaps, your order was already in the initial stages of being made when they realized you paid very little, and ours have not had any work started on so they canceled them

EDIT: Although many of us did get a secondary email informing that the work had, in fact, been started, But this was most likely just a generic email anyway just to let you know that the payment went through and the Chinese tailors got the orders in.

sorry, voice typing from mobile, pardon grammar and style
possibly i don't know! It could be an explanation, but some people got their cancelling 3-4 days after ordering, which generally didn't work when i was at the shop. at that stage it was too complicated to order. But now it's in house so idk!

Profetatus

Reaction score
Hello folks, I have 175CAD worth of gift cards from the 2 custom made **** ups and won’t use them as nothing excites me at Suitsupply right now. Would is in Canada interested in converting them?

pomor

Reaction score
Hello folks, I have 175CAD worth of gift cards from the 2 custom made **** ups and won’t use them as nothing excites me at Suitsupply right now. Would is in Canada interested in converting them?

If I were you I would wait to see if there’s an outlet in the next couple of weeks, even if you’re in Canada, which is less likely to get the outlet but it might still happen

kithking23

Reaction score
Pm me please with details

Ihsahn_

Reaction score
Custom made is likely not feasible for you, given that you only have five weeks and custom made can easily take longer than that to make. On top of that, you have to allocate time for additional alterations.

But that’s not the only option. SuitSupply’s RTW garments are quite good and their in-house alterations tailor can modify your garment to a great fit. For your price range, you should be able to get a full canvas suit.

To answer your question about fabrics, I’m not an expert in that area, but my personal experience with their fabrics has been great. All my suits are medium-weight wools, 8–10 Oz. weight, woven by VBC.

Where do you plan to wear this suit? What color(s) are you thinking?

Thanks for the reply, yes it seems as though I have indeed left it too late for Custom Made! I'm going to go into the shop in Leadenhall in London on Sunday and see what they think about adjustments to a RTW suit. It's probably my first choice right now, other than potentially finding another decent RTW place in the City and making adjustments accordingly - as mentioned, I'm a pretty 'standard' shape so hopefully shouldn't have too much trouble.

Thanks for the reassurance about the fabrics. Good to know.

It's for a wedding (mine - COVID has changed our plans hence the short notice). I'm thinking either mid-grey (but with a bit of texture as opposed to shiny or "flat" colours) or mid-blue (again, nothing too light, potentially with some texture to it).

My budget is pretty flexible, but I'm just coming to the realisation that MTM isn't going to happen in the timeframe, and I'll likely pick up another MTM suit in the near future so not sure whether grabbing an £800 suit now that isn't MTM now is the best idea. Hence a RTW from SuitSupply with adjustments seems to be a decent idea, provided their fabrics are solid and RTW aren't lower quality than their Custom Made?

Thanks again.

tnd

Reaction score
did they get rid of the wishlist feature from the site?

pomor

Reaction score
did they get rid of the wishlist feature from the site?

Honestly, it may come back. Seems like lately their features are all in flux with subject to change. I have always just put an item in the cart and let it sit there. They normally would flush it out after a few weeks, but by then I would have made a decision on whether or not I want it.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, yes it seems as though I have indeed left it too late for Custom Made! I'm going to go into the shop in Leadenhall in London on Sunday and see what they think about adjustments to a RTW suit. It's probably my first choice right now, other than potentially finding another decent RTW place in the City and making adjustments accordingly - as mentioned, I'm a pretty 'standard' shape so hopefully shouldn't have too much trouble.

Thanks for the reassurance about the fabrics. Good to know.

It's for a wedding (mine - COVID has changed our plans hence the short notice). I'm thinking either mid-grey (but with a bit of texture as opposed to shiny or "flat" colours) or mid-blue (again, nothing too light, potentially with some texture to it).

My budget is pretty flexible, but I'm just coming to the realisation that MTM isn't going to happen in the timeframe, and I'll likely pick up another MTM suit in the near future so not sure whether grabbing an £800 suit now that isn't MTM now is the best idea. Hence a RTW from SuitSupply with adjustments seems to be a decent idea, provided their fabrics are solid and RTW aren't lower quality than their Custom Made?

Thanks again.

Congratulations on your wedding! And you really can’t go wrong with the choices you outline—mid-grey or mid-blue. Even their most basic Lazio stuff is decent, with a few VBC fabrics. Not sure what form of texture you’re looking for, but their birdseye ones are nice.

Noblekostas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was surprised how heavy the cotton suits and cotton linen were, not bad just surprising. The light blue DB is excellent. The Solaro is meh. I will keep it though.

Left them for alterations, with the confused looks of the SuSu reps about the price. Will post pics next week!

tnd

Reaction score
any word on when the summer outlet will open?

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there will be an outlet this Summer at all. The Covid outlet couple of months ago was the overkill and I believe they sold out almost every trash item they had with those prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads