• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Thank you for your guys input so far. I am curious about the quality of SuSu's full canvas construction, as well as the milanese buttonhole. Does anyone have a picture of SuSu's take on a Milanese buttonhole?

The quality of construction of my two full canvas suits—both custom made—is wonderful. They have the finer, albeit minor, points, like sous bras, that their standard half-canvas line doesn’t always. My suits were also made on the La Spalla fit, which used to be one of their top-line fits. As I understand it, the La Spalla is no longer available for OTR items.

Also, since I selected the fabrics, I won’t opine on the fabrics available with their OTR full-canvas suits.

Now, as for have I noticed a difference in fit: the improvement in fit and drape over my half-canvas suits is marginal. Certainly, it’s not as big of a jump as that going from a shopping mall-style fused suit to a SuitSupply-style half-canvas one.

japejapejape

Reaction score
The quality of construction of my two full canvas suits—both custom made—is wonderful. They have the finer, albeit minor, points, like sous bras, that their standard half-canvas line doesn’t always. My suits were also made on the La Spalla fit, which used to be one of their top-line fits. As I understand it, the La Spalla is no longer available for OTR items.

Also, since I selected the fabrics, I won’t opine on the fabrics available with their OTR full-canvas suits.

Now, as for have I noticed a difference in fit: the improvement in fit and drape over my half-canvas suits is marginal. Certainly, it’s not as big of a jump as that going from a shopping mall-style fused suit to a SuitSupply-style half-canvas one.
if you don't mind me asking, what fabrics did you choose?
and are there any fabrics you would shy away from adding a full canvas? lastly, did you do the light canvas option?

Marc S

Reaction score
and are there any fabrics you would shy away from adding a full canvas? lastly, did you do the light canvas option?

I’ll jump in and provide my answers too :)

Chose S110 Tropical Wool full canvas and S130 Wool - both VBC

My SA suggested the full canvas on anything S130 and higher, since the fabric does not have much structure/shape on its own as the fabric is softer. I would tend to agree. The S130 is quite soft!

I did not, SA said they should only be considered in super tropical climates where it is always hot.

japejapejape

Reaction score
I’ll jump in and provide my answers too :)

Chose S110 Tropical Wool full canvas and S130 Wool - both VBC

My SA suggested the full canvas on anything S130 and higher, since the fabric does not have much structure/shape on its own as the fabric is softer. I would tend to agree. The S130 is quite soft!

I did not, SA said they should only be considered in super tropical climates where it is always hot.
thanks for the good advice. i also picked up a vbc tropical wool suit but with a half canvas.

nevaeh

Reaction score

Both the fabrics I have are VBC S130 wool. One is navy (580.901/420) and the other is mid grey (580.901/4). As @Marc S said, they are both quite light, soft, and fine. As to the fabrics I would shy away from, I don't have enough of a knowledge of this to say one way or another. But my thought is that if a fabric is fine for half-canvas--as, I imagine, most of SuitSupply's fabrics are--it would be fine for full-canvas, too.

I have the standard canvas weight on both suits. Although--unless the SuitSupply representative messed up and accidentally entered the light canvas option--the suits feel quite light overall.

Attachments

• vbc navy.png
    vbc navy.png
    849.9 KB · Views: 241
  • vbc mid grey.png
    vbc mid grey.png
    999.3 KB · Views: 272

hschrapel

Reaction score
Was presently surprised that alterations were free on Custom Made. I didn't think they'd honor that as they saw how little I paid for the suit. Surprisingly, the cost of all the alterations I had made (as I had sized up) totaled more-or-less the same as the suit itself haha.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows anything about the outlet? Will it happen, if so when and where (please include Sweden)?

pomor

Reaction score
Anyone knows anything about the outlet? Will it happen, if so when and where (please include Sweden)?

I’m putting my money on July 13-15th as the outlet start. Also, US for sure, Europe/Canada maybe, but likely

EUtroll

Reaction score
With the blowout sale earlier this year, unless they've to, I'd think they would like to push it ahead.

kithking23

Reaction score
I believe they will,ive seen their inventory get pulled. Some suits and jackets or even trousers aren’t there anymore. I suppose if they didn’t have anything to lose in April,neither do they in July is they decide to go through with an outlet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads