• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevaeh

Reaction score
In need of some advice from a custom order I just got:

It's the navy wool/silk/linen from piacenza fabric and I got the wide lapel half lined havana in an attempt to duplicate the old hudson fit:

View attachment 1396901

However, I simply didn't realize the lapels would be so WIDE. they are 4.75" wide. does this look ridic on me? I'm 5-6 for reference. Should I just return it? It otherwise fits great

For further reference, this is my best fitting sportcoat (a silk/linen from E Thomas in the Hudson). Note how perfect the lapel width is:

1590702061775-jpg.1396892

For further reference, I was avoiding the Havana because I think the lapel is a tad too skinny and the fit isn't the best on me

View attachment 1396902

so yeah my main issue is with the wide lapels on the custom....is it too cartoony for me?

At first glance, they do look a little wide. But I have a question before I commit to an opinion. Is that the type of shirt you are planning to wear with that jacket? Then I'd say definitely too wide.

Otherwise, can you share a photo with that type of shirt? It would be helpful to see the whole ensemble. Because perhaps with a different shirt and, to a lesser extent, trouser combination this might look great on you.

Last edited:

Sellidor

Reaction score
In general, I'm a fan of wide lapels, but with there's something unbalanced about the Havana wide lapel fit. I think the issue is the high buttoning stance. With a lower stance, the lines would be more harmonious and fluid. As it is, the wide lapels seem to suddenly explode from nowhere.

I think Lopez Aragon does wide lapel jackets that look much more balanced, in part due to the much lower buttoning stance (or so it seems from pictures, I haven't ever ordered from them).

For example:

ScofieldReturns

Reaction score
not this exact shirt (since it's short sleeve) but a similar henley in white or light gray is probably what i'll mostly wear it with

EthansAlley

Reaction score

It's the navy wool/silk/linen from piacenza fabric and I got the wide lapel half lined havana in an attempt to duplicate the old hudson fit:

I like the lapel width of the Hudson fit also. Why couldn’t they do the Hudson fit lapel? Was it not an option?

ScofieldReturns

Reaction score
I thought the option i selected was the hudson lapel width, but I guess not. They did away with that naming convention a while ago, so it's all just listed as havana now. this was the only option for a half lined jacket as well. if anyone knows otherwise, please do inform us!

MrSuited

Reaction score
The options for lapel width are narrow, standard and wide. Narrow is about 3 inches, standard is about 3.5 inches and wide is at least 4.25 inches if I'm not mistaken.

Marc S

Reaction score
This looks great! I think the structured shoulder looks fine, too. Do you have any comparisons, on you specifically, between a structured Lazio and a lightly-padded Lazio?

Also, are those mother of pearl buttons? They look nice.

Yessir, here you go!

Lightly padded 36R OTR (with an ever so slightly narrower lapel that I prefer....it’s also a Lazio so this is just luck of the draw):
40A6B68E-652D-4500-9178-736DE978D1F7.jpeg

And re posting the Lazio Structured Custom Made:

586D235F-EE02-4E5D-906C-5D9509A1DDFC.jpeg

Thanks as always for your opinion!

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In general, I'm a fan of wide lapels, but with there's something unbalanced about the Havana wide lapel fit. I think the issue is the high buttoning stance. With a lower stance, the lines would be more harmonious and fluid. As it is, the wide lapels seem to suddenly explode from nowhere.

I think Lopez Aragon does wide lapel jackets that look much more balanced, in part due to the much lower buttoning stance (or so it seems from pictures, I haven't ever ordered from them).

For example:

That jacket is killer.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Yessir, here you go!

Lightly padded 36R OTR (with an ever so slightly narrower lapel that I prefer....it’s also a Lazio so this is just luck of the draw):
View attachment 1397013

And re posting the Lazio Structured Custom Made:

View attachment 1397014

Thanks as always for your opinion!

Both those shoulder styles look good on you! Maybe, on your next suit, get one shoulder structured and the other lightly padded. ?

Marc S

Reaction score
Both those shoulder styles look good on you! Maybe, on your next suit, get one shoulder structured and the other lightly padded. ?

Hahaha! Now THAT would be a custom suit!!!!

Thank you sir

Marc S

Reaction score
The options for lapel width are narrow, standard and wide. Narrow is about 3 inches, standard is about 3.5 inches and wide is at least 4.25 inches if I'm not mistaken.

Just revisited the link Elliott sent me. Here's what it says on lapel options:

Narrow
Notch - 7cm Peak - 7cm

Standard
Notch - 9.2cm Peak - 9.8cm

Wide
Notch - 11.5cm Peak - 11.8cm

From when I measured mine earlier, I recall my Standard lapels measuring about 9 cm. So seems to fit there.

Marccarlsson

Reaction score

View attachment 1396901

However, I simply didn't realize the lapels would be so WIDE. they are 4.75" wide. does this look ridic on me? I'm 5-6 for reference. Should I just return it? It otherwise fits great

For further reference, this is my best fitting sportcoat (a silk/linen from E Thomas in the Hudson). Note how perfect the lapel width is:

1590702061775-jpg.1396892

For further reference, I was avoiding the Havana because I think the lapel is a tad too skinny and the fit isn't the best on me

View attachment 1396902

so yeah my main issue is with the wide lapels on the custom....is it too cartoonish y for me?

I think it looks good, but the Hudson does look more balanced.

A thought - If you wanted to replicate the Hudson with Custom Made, why didn't you go with the "Havana Pleated", which is basically the Hudson?

caschta

Reaction score
Because he wanted half-lined, I guess. But you can always ask for half-lined instore, it doesn't show in the configurator though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads