Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Nick Miller

Nick Miller Affiliate Vendor

Advice / help

I'm a bigger guy, I normally wear a 50L Regent Jacket - Suit from Brooks Bros. This cut fits me well, little needs to be done other then shorten the sleeves a bit. Which models in Suit Supply lineup would work for me?

I'm not a fan of the Washington, button stance seems too high, probably wouldn't fit me anyway.

2. timotune

timotune Senior member

Napoli and maybe Sienna should be your best bet.

3. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

When looking at the close up pic it appears to me that the jacket has some texture and may be a little heavier.

4. timotune

timotune Senior member

I am still waiting for this suit to appear
    [​IMG]

The picture is from their FW 2012 campaign... I have not lost hope :slayer:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012

5. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

To the gentlemen who live in the greater Philadelphia area,

My father is a commercial contractor and is currently bidding on the SuitSupply job at 16th and Locust. According to timelines he has received from SuitSupply, the store won't be open for business until late March or early April 2013. Just an update.

I'm hoping all things work out and he wins this job. Maybe a couple suits will be thrown in for him and I? :)

6. Medwed

Medwed Senior member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    This is an update for those undecided & with no access to the retail outlet.
    I wear US38R and after trying on Napoli and Roma suits, I came to conclusion that neither would work for me in professional setting. Social setting..., well YMMW.
    Napoli , Roma and others all have strong shoulders. They are described as lightly padded but to my eye they were just padded, padded real good...
    That padding, coupled with seriously pinched waist creates a silhouette (at least in small sizes) that to my eye could be described as "Valet". I did not like the oversized shoulders with the wasp waist. I looked like a shop assistant from Paul Stuart or Wedding reception help (aka Valet). Not a welcome silhouette in a law office or private finance setting. Marketing and sales settings might tolerate that look, as i said YMMW.

The fabrics and craftsmanship are fine, but you really cannot judge how the suit will look on you from the pics. When i was looking at the website I thought Napoli would be my choice, but I ended up liking Sienna model only. Sienna model is the only one that fit me the same way my Caruso suits fit.
    Real, natural shoulder with moderate waist suppression, relaxed, not exaggerated and appropriate in all settings.
    My opinion of the fit might be heavily slanted due to the small sizes that I wear. Those models rejected by me might actually look more proportionate and less caricature in larger sizes (those above 40R).

Also, I want to mention that their casual pants and sweaters are offered in very rich, nice colors, also leather gloves are of superb quality , albeit limited in colors. Those tufted, red gloves are amazing in person, but unfortunately not offered in any color other than red. Leather goods are priced fairly and of average quality. Shoes are to be avoided in my opinion , due to a hideous toe spring that ruins them for me.
    Kudos to their outerwear, especially overcoats, made with partial canvas in a chest area and very well cut, the fit is very reminiscent of Borrelli or Corneliani overcoats.

In conclusion when I realized that my preffered Sienna model comes at $659 retail plus it has only drop 6 trousers thus I'd have to tailor 32" waist & seat down to 30", which would add extra 60+ my total cost would have been $700+ for a decent, made in China suit. Currently, I am not seeing any benefit to my wardrobe or budget in purchasing SS garment vs. discounted Canali, Adriano, Sartorio, Caruso or Zegna, to name a few.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I gotta admit, I find this statement a bit curious - most lawyers I know dress like crap. JAB would be a huge upgrade for many of them - and this is at high finance PE corp practices and appellate/SC level lit practices.

8. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

If you are 165, I imagine that this is two sizes too small (at least). Even at 155, my guess is you'd be a 38.

9. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I think you make a good summary of your experiences Medwed..when it comes to Napoli I think the message for the fit has been mentioned a couple times in this thread.. their shoulders dont work for those that have narrow shoulders, just like the Sienna will not work for me due to my broad shoulders.. on my body, the shoulders are lightly padded.. but hey I have shoulders with a point to point of 20.6 inches..the Sienna does not work because the shoulders are too know and my shoulders would bulge out the side..the Napoli also works for me because I have a bigger drop (8-9 inches).. so the pinched waist works for me..all in all, the Napoli works for tall moderately built or athletic physiques..but I agree if the cut does not work for you then keep doing what you are doing with your off the rack finds..the Label has been fine for me because the Napoli works perfectly for me and its more accessible.. I really have to search and look for the Canali's or the Zegna's in my size..

10. Nick Miller

Nick Miller Affiliate Vendor

Thank you, I appreciate your advice.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012

11. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Hey,
    I am currently traveling so I am looking to order online (in a hurry). I was wondering if some of you could give me a quick and dirty fitting online (recs for cut/size) [​IMG]

I fit a 38R BB Milano suit really well off the rack, and I'm looking for a cheaper alternative... I did a quick measure a few nights ago and came up with the following:

Chest (armpit to armpit) 20
    Waist 18
    Shoulder 17.5
    Length (Bottom of Collar to bottom) 29.5
    Sleeve length 24

Your advice is much appreciated as I have a wedding coming up that I need a suit for!

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I covet their current crop of outerwear. I suspect I'm not alone.

13. padey

padey New Member

14. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

You are not, they definitely get the urban dandy thing down without the outrageous prices of Phineas Cole.

15. thedose

thedose Well-Known Member

Ok, so I got my blue Lazio fit, this thing fits me like a G L O V E. The shoulders, chest, waist = PERFECT. The sleeves need to be taken in maybe .5" maybe even less. The pants need to be shortened but nothing more, literally PERFECT FIT. The Jacket length also might need to be shortened by no more than .5" I am sooo happy right now!

In the first picture I had my arms out (dunno why I did that)

What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012