1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Syeknom

Syeknom Well-Known Member

When I asked in-store recently about their MTM service they said that all MTM suits are always the Napoli model and then adjusted from there. I was hoping to have a London suit in my choice of fabric + more extensively tailored but this isn't the cae.

2. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member

That looks good. How do you like the pants?
    Pretty sure I'm getting a Lazio suit but I'm worried it'll be too tight around my thighs.

3. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Well-Known Member

Thanks omgitwes. i like the pants quite a lot actually. On me they are slim without being skinny. But I have rather thiin legs, so I can't really say whether they will fit your build. On the other hand, their return policy is great, so take a chance !

4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

So, I just got my suitsupply suit back form their tailor, and I was quite shocked with the fit. They were supposed to take in the jacket a little, but it seems like they took in one side more than other. I actually think the suit was better before the tailoring...

There are these weird lines on my right shoulder, that won't go away, no matter how I stand.

[​IMG]

There is insane collar gap on one side, while the other side fits quite nicely.

[​IMG]

Here you can see that one lapel bulging out, while the other one seems to be ok.

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why this happened? And more importantly, can it be fixed??

5. timotune

timotune Well-Known Member

looks pretty messed up.
    I would go in the store again and talk to them. Seems to be a clear mistake by them.

6. chocsosa

chocsosa Well-Known Member

They prob messed with the Lapels or the collar..I think if you shorten the collar just a little bit ,(prob just a quarter of an inch) the collar gap will be gone and it will help the silhouette of the jacket..you could take in the sides as well but not too much.. just enough to enhance a little bit more of the waist..I think shortening the collar will also help the rippling at the sleeve head as well..what model is it? Lazio?

7. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. This is the London model, and it's a wool-linen mix. The initial fit was nice, but they were supposed to just take in the back and the sides. But if you look at the jacket from the back, it has become a total mess, all skewed and wrinkles everywhere. On top of that they managed to create a collar gap where there was none before, and it's not taken in at all in the sides. I'm having a hard time trusting their tailor now. I think I'll just go back and demand a full refund.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. chocsosa

chocsosa Well-Known Member

Yea then they def touched the collar...typically you lower or raise the collar as needed...they f'd it up and thats why you have a collar gap.. and a collar gap can throw everything off.. it can affect the drape of the shoulders, chest everything..thats why I am very thankful for my tailor..I live in the most obscure little big town in the U.S..so to have a tailor that knows how to get things done is awesome on so many levels...

9. dena

dena Member

Not interested in buying a full blow suit, but how do their slim shirts / non-suit pants fit?

10. dufferin1

dufferin1 Well-Known Member

I have yet to really hear good things about the shirts. Honestly, they don't look to bad but when you've got some shirts (the ones priced at $149), why buy one when you can get a Napoli or Borrelli for the same/less and made in Italy?

11. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

Stopped in to the Soho location Saturday

General comments:
    -Most all of the associates were clueless. Saw a guy pairing a pair of super slim camo pants with a eclectic blue DB sport coat (selling to middle aged man)
    -Sales folks walking around with tailors tapes and pins. LOL. Would not trust them to take measurements for alterations, your new suits getting jacked up for sure.
    -Asked which model had the biggest drop otr, was asked "so like for shorts"
    -Garments looked pretty cool. A great place for a young man to acquire decent stylish suiting
    -Pretty nice cut on the Washington line. Was impressed by the full canvas of their top tier line, generally a pretty cool place

Bottom line, great concept and cool offerings, but wouldn't work with any of their sales folks. Buy and take to tailor.

1 person likes this.
  12. Mr Mustard

Mr Mustard New Member

That's disappointing. Thanks for the info.

13. JilSlander

JilSlander Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried out any of the jackets/outerwear?

I'm particularly interested in the Blue Overcoat as a spring piece/raincoat.

Thanks.

14. Veremund

Veremund Well-Known Member

15. dufferin1

dufferin1 Well-Known Member

Same here, it looks simple but quite stylish. I think this would be usful in April/May when the temperatures get warmer but not warm enough yet. This jacket would also be great in October/Nov when it isn't cold enough yet.

The shoulder measurements seem slim though..

Any news on SuitSupply Toronto?

16. McBindle

McBindle Well-Known Member

Sienna vs Washington rise? I prefer to not have a gap between the buttoning point and trouser waist and like a buttoning point just above the hip bones. The Washington looks good but I want something more conservative (no peaks, and no concave shoulder). Has anyone tried both of these or have the Sienna? I am having trouble telling from the photos (description doesn't address it) on the SS site how the two compare. Does the Sienna sit at natural waist?

I am looking for a suit in plain grey. Monkeyface's London fit is nice but does not come in grey.

Thanks.

17. IVotedForKodos

IVotedForKodos Member

I have two of the sub $100 shirts. One of them the buttons are really poor quality and broke at the cleaners after about two wears. Cleaner is a good one and replaced all @ no charge to me. I wouldn't mess with one for $149 as you say but the shirts are an almost perfect OTR fit for me so I like the two I have.

18. mispoke

mispoke Well-Known Member

supposedly yorkville this fall:

http://www.torontolife.com/daily/style/shop-talk/2013/03/11/toronto-suitsupply-yorkville/

19. Firefox

Firefox Well-Known Member

20. mispoke

mispoke Well-Known Member

The ~$500 price point is just right to set their product above the rest. When it comes closer to ~$700-800, it seems the case for Suitsupply Purple Line becomes a lot less compelling…especially when you can simply use the Toronto retail location as a showroom for sizing/fit and then make your purchase through the US online store.