1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Thanks, that'd be great

2. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Received these last week
    Liking this one, good cut to it and not chunky like a lot of puff style body warmers out there. Not as warm as a feather down of course, but warmer and more cosy than I was expecting which is nice.
    [​IMG]
    SuSu Link

Will probably send this one back, outside of a 3pce suit not sure a navy w/c is as versatile as I might have imagined. The material is also shiny irl - not sure if that is just this piece or a trait of Suit Supply linen in general?
    [​IMG]
    SuSu Link

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  4. armedferret

armedferret Senior member

I have a natural ("light brown") linen wc from them that's not shiny at all. Might just be that specific fabric.

5. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

My two linen jackets from this SS season aren't shiny either...

6. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

New jort collection and a couple of other items are up now.

7. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

God DAMN it. I would definitely have gone with that navy Jort jacket instead of the blue wool-silk-linen Havana I bought a few weeks ago had it been available. Thanks for nothing, SuitSupply.

8. DonnyDB10

DonnyDB10 Member

I need some advice on suit sizing. I typically get my suits from Suitsupply as they are relatively inexpensive and the quality is nice for the price range. I've been wearing a 44R but I've recently shed nearly 25lbs. Now the 44R is very loose and somewhat baggy on me. My current 44R will need to be taken in in various places.

I'm ready to purchase another suit from them but I'm torn on what I should do size wise. Would you recommend I stick with the 44 and just have it altered or do you think I should size down to a 42R? I tried a 42R on; the trousers at the waist fit like a glove, but I'm afraid the jacket may be too tight once I get the waist suppressed.

So do you think I should stick with the 44 and just have altered to my preference or should I start sizing down to a 42?

9. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

First, congratulations on your weight loss.

As to your question: In my opinion sizing down is fraught with peril. While the 42 will be slimmer in the waist, the proportions will be different: shorter jacket, higher buttoning point, narrower shoulders and smaller armholes. Possibly also too-short sleeves and tighter trousers in the thigh. You'll probably get a cleaner drape from the shoulder and better proportions in general with a 44 than a 42. Just have the trousers and jacket taken in from the waist. They're relatively simple operations and any competent tailor could do it.

Having said that, if you have the opportunity to try on a 42, do it. That's probably the only way you'll know for sure.

10. jeep364

jeep364 Active Member

Hello all, a few questions. I have a Napoli Gray and Havana Hopsack wool blazer. I previously had a Napoli Blue (like that lighter almost electric blue from the $399 line - which I have since sold as it was too bold). I am very satisfied with the construction and overall fit of the Suit supply products I have. I don't wear suits that often, but was looking to add to my collection with a somewhat casual linen/wool, linen, or lighter wool suit that could be worn as separates.

I wear a 32R in both the Napoli's and Havana but am looking to go MTM this time around. Pants fit great, but the jackets are both slightly long for my shorter torso. The Havana is slightly tight around the chest (the v puckering of the lapels at times) and the button stance seems a bit high as well.

I will be hitting up the Georgetown (DC) store soon to try on and talk about some MTM with them. What cuts and fabrics should I be looking at? I don't like peak lapels (Washington line) or particularly high gorge height. I prefer an otherwise slim fit.

Havana - wool / linen?
    Hudson Navy S130s
    Lazio
    Sienna (I was actually thinking of a Birds Eye Sienna in the future after this more 'casual' initial MTM purchase)

11. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

Attached Files:

12. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

Also does anyone have any strong prefers e between these two brown suits? Definitely more of a fashion than work choice for me.

The Havana is made from a lightweight wool and the hudson is cotton.

Attached Files:

13. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

Hi is anyone here available for proxy service from
    Europe?

14. BlairW

BlairW Active Member

Just had an interesting experience that may be helpful for people in NZ or Aus...

I found a Soho suit that was available on the US site but not the NZ (EU sourced) site. So I emailed asking if they would create an order for me which they reluctantly did. Turns out I was charged $299Euro instead of the usual $499USD so I ended up paying less than NZ$500 as opposed to what would normally have been over $700.

I summary I got a sweet Soho suit that I previously couldn't get, and saved myself over $200 in the process. Not bad at all!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017 at 8:58 PM
  15. BlairW

BlairW Active Member

I prefer the Havana and reckon a light weight wool drapes much better than cotton too

phsiao08 likes this.
  16. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

Yeah, I think trying them on this weekend I've reached the same conclusion. It's more comfortable at the end of the day.

17. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Tailors coming to Toronto this weekend. Never had any experience. How much is MTM? And is it worth it?

18. feeble

feeble Active Member

I don't have experience with these two Sienna's specifically but the one I have is S130s by VBC. It's awesome. Very comfortable and gets a lot of compliments.

That being said, I try to only wear it once every other week and air it out as soon as I get home for at least a few hours before putting it back in the garment bag. I've had mine about 18 months, have worn it maybe 12 times. Haven't had to press it yet.

I'm sure the S150s feel great, but I wouldn't plan on wearing them frequently. For this cost it gets into a ROI situation.

Anyone with S150s experience care to chip in as to how frequently they wear and how it's cared for?

phsiao08 likes this.
  19. feeble

feeble Active Member

I did MTM in Amsterdam at the Willemsparkweg location (if anyone goes, setup a time with Oliver. British guy, awesome service).

For me it was great, I paid 629 Euro per suit (got 2), got to pick a whole host of options and I'll be doing the final tailoring here in the US. SuSu has finished the suits and now it's a matter of shipping them and clearing customs.

It was a very straightforward process, went in, they gave me a jacket and trousers that were close to my fit, pinned everything to my measurements and liking. I chose the color, fabric (went with VBC S110s, needed some workhorse suits), personalized styling such as the lining and collar monogram. The jacket itself is fully canvassed. I got both with a soft shoulder and one cut to look like the Sienna with slanted flap pockets and a ticket pocket. You also have the option of them sewing into the lining a dedicated pocket for your cell phone. For this price, it is incredible value. After paying basically $1350 U.S. Dollars for 2 fully canvassed suits I'm not sure I can go back to RTW options. The whole thing took an hour. On weekends you'll have to plan ahead and book a time, on weekdays you can probably just walk in.

I had some real trouble with the RTW jackets fitting properly. The lapel had some extreme rolling and nothing looked good. I sized up and at that point the trousers were going to be way too big. The tailoring on the suit would've been more than MTM.