1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Might be worth looking at mtm, plenty on the forum get their trousers from luxire and the like. Just have to get the fit down and you're set.

2. Michael81

Michael81 Well-Known Member

So, I just contacted customer service via Whatsapp asking about the SS collection. They responded with "Thank you for your interest. We will still receive a few more items, which will arrive bit by bit. Therefore I can not give you an exact date. I am sorry for the inconvenience this causes."

Incredibly irritating. In any case, I decided to pull the trigger on this off-white Havana, since there was only one left in my size and they were going quickly.

[​IMG]
    I'd been holding off until the next wave. But apparently since there is no wave, it was do or die. I'll just return it if I don't like it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gosroth

Gosroth Well-Known Member

I´ve been lusting for another DB suit the last two years or so.

Sadly, the Soho was slightly too big in size 44 (EUR) and slightly too small in 42. The Madison was a decent fit in size 44, but I could never get past those enormous bat-wing lapels that looked totally out of proportion on small sizes (no point in wearing a pocket square, as the lapel would cover 95% of the chest pocket).

Now two years later, DB suits have been showing up at Susu again in limited numbers. As others have commented already, it appears the models have been slightly updated.

The Soho is clearly slimmer in the chest, and possibly in the waist as well, now being closer to Lazio or Washington in chest width (perhaps slightly roomier). The trousers appears to have gotten a slightly lower rise.

Madison is supposed to be exactly the same as Soho according to the sizing guide. My measuring of two recent examples however, show that Soho is still 1 cm wider in the chest when measured across (48 cm for size 44, vs 47 for Madison) and 1 cm slimmer in waist (43 cm for Soho, vs 44 cm for Madison).

(However, general sizing inconsistency could account for the above).

Biggest change however that Madison lapel width has gone down from the monster 11,5 cm (size 44 EUR) to 10 cm on the same size. It could just be that lapel width is now proportional to chest size (so that lapel width has stayed the same on larger sizes).

Chest pocket shaped has changed as well, and is now a much more curved barchetta pocket, which means the you can actually style the suit with a pocket square now.

Personally, I´ve gotten the navy cotton twill Madison from the Spring/summer collection, and trying to make a decision to keep or not.

The stark navy color means it´s easy to pair, gives a stern and bossy impression, and could be worn for business in a pinch.
    The cotton twill and shiny brown buttons gives it a rather casual vibe, so all in all, I find it quite versatile.

My worries are that the cotton will fade or wear out faster then a typical 110s wool, and it does look a bit dull and cheap when compared with nice wools. My dilemma is if I should stick with this one, or wait and see if Susu comes up with another Madison suit in wool that fit my requirements; solid navy or dark blue, shinny buttons (not matte ones), enough texture to the fabric to be worn as a separate jacket without looking like a suit jacket, yet formal enough to be worn in most business settings.

C4760M was close to fitting the bill, but the traveler fabric was just too smooth for the jacket to be worn alone.

1 person likes this.
  4. clarksdb

clarksdb Well-Known Member

The La Spalla has side adjusters and also suspender buttons. Is it okay to only use the side adjusters and wear without suspenders? Or would suspenders be recommended?

5. KWang94

KWang94 Well-Known Member

Quote:It's not as if anyone would know that you have suspender buttons. I think that when you're wearing suspender buttons, trouser should be worn a little looser around the waist to provide for better drape. If you choose to not wear suspenders that day, use the side tab adjustors to tighten the waist area. Ideally, trousers with side tab adjustors should be cut with your "fattest self" in mind (say, after a heavy meal, for example)

2 people like this.
  6. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Well-Known Member

Got my field jacket.

[​IMG]

Reasonably happy with it, bit more of a formal style and structured than run of the mill field jacket, fit is good for what I was after - I don't intend to wear it over a suit jacket so sized down one and fit is solid with just shirt and trousers or with a jumper on.

Material is less wool like and more of a technical fabric. Surprised me a bit at first but to be water resistant etc guess that was to be expected.

Will probably keep it but maybe its slightly over priced for what it is.

7. KWang94

KWang94 Well-Known Member

Quote:I think most people would agree that anything outside of their core offerings are over-priced. They look nice but definitely not up to the same quality as their jackets/suits.

1 person likes this.
  8. feeble

feeble Active Member

I'm looking to buy a few suits and after checking out their collections I've settled on 2-3 Napoli suits and maybe a Sienna.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the differences of their fabrics? I've checked online from a number of places but no one seems to really address it. What is the difference between Reda, Zignone, Drago and VBC? I know some are mills, and they source their wool from other places, or sell to other merchants.

What I really want to know is, is VBC wool considered superior to Zignone?

Which fabrics will last longer?

Also, in your opinion(s), should Super 130 wools be worn less frequently? If I buy a Sienna suit does that mean i should be wearing it only twice a month? Numerous places refer to S110's as the workhouse, something you can wear every other day. I don't need to wear a suit everyday, but when I do I have to wear them frequently, ie 4-5 days in a row.

The specific suits i'm looking at are:
    Napoli Navy Plain P5229M - Zignone - 259 Euro
    http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/napoli-navy-plain/P5229M.html

Napoli Navy Plain P2778M - VBC - 349 Euro
    http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/napoli-navy-plain/P2778M.html

Napoli Grey Plain P4296N - VBC - 259 Euro
    http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/napoli-grey-plain/P4296N.html

Napoli Grey Plain P2505M - VBC - 349 Euro
    http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/napoli-grey-plain/P2505M.html

Sienna Grey Plain P4842 - Reda - 399 Euro
    http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/introduction/sienna-grey-plain/P4842.html?cgid=introduction

I'm a fan of notch lapel that are 3.5 inch or smaller. Ideally no padding in the shoulder but i understand the Napoli does have light padding.

I have looked at others like the Lazio but am not interested in any other styles, just Napoli and Sienna at this time.

9. SS 376

SS 376 Well-Known Member

I have 7 or so suits, 6 of which are VBC and one of which is (I think) Cerruti. I also come in with a default preference for VBC, but I honestly cannot see or feel a difference between VBC and Cerruti, but that is complicated by the fact that the Cerruti is a Sienna while all the others, save for one, are Lazio or Napoli. I am honestly pleased with each one and I can’t make broad generalizations across wool brands.

As for durability, I would say that the 110 is best for a weekly rotation while 130 and 150 are better worn every other week or so. For you, I think a 130 will last years since you are not putting them in heavy and constant rotation. But I would generally not wear a 130 more than once a week.

If you’re not a fan of padding, I would opt for the Sienna. Neither the Lazio nor the Napoli have a lot of padding (as compared to other brands) but there is a good deal less padding in the Sienna. Everything else may feel a bit stiff, in my opinion. To me, the price difference between the Napoli and Sienna (at least for Europeans) is small enough that it is usually worth it to step up to the Sienna. The same does not necessarily hold true for the US. These are all my personal opinions.

10. Nikola

Nikola Well-Known Member

What brand do you suggest for items other than suit/jackets that could match the quality/price ratio of SS?

11. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

12. MoreSpinach

MoreSpinach Member

La Spalla and Hartford are not really middle of the road. The hand crafted detailing matches some of the top Italian makers, and their 150 fabric is gorgeous. For slim gentlemen that can rock an Italian cut, La Spalla is a superlative addition to the wardrobe. For a more, um, democratic build, Hartford does equally well. I like these two so much now that many of my not-so-slim-cut Canali and Cornelianis will likely go the way of ebay. Just my 2 cents.

13. flashkobalt

flashkobalt Well-Known Member

14. Cranperry

Cranperry New Member

There are some field jackets coming soon with "Chester" fit. Where could I find its size table since those are not available yet on the site?

15. Michael81

This is true, but there are serious diminishing returns in that price range when it comes to RTW suits. Why pay €700 plus alteration costs for a nice RTW suit when you can go MTM for not much more than that? Or in SuSu's case, possibly even less?

16. MoreSpinach

MoreSpinach Member

Perhaps we live in different cities, but I cannot conceive of an MTM suit with 150 fabric and the kind of hand made details in that price. Nowhere close. Sure, you could get the kind of stuff that's made in Tsim Tsa Tsui in Hong Kong, but seldom is that anywhere close to the detailing. Which city are you in? Would love some recommendations.

17. Michael81

I think we're talking about different things - fit vs finish. Unfortunately SuSu's more expensive RTW offerings suffer from the same fit problems as their basic lines (low-rise, too tight trousers, high-button stances, short jackets etc). As things stand, I have to spend quite a lot on tailoring to get around these problems. €700 would quickly become €800 or even €900. That, to me, is not worth it, since I'm still not getting exactly what I want.

SuSu also has its production facilities in China, by the way.

I could recommend one or two places in Helsinki or Turku, but I don't think that's going to be of any help to you. Since you're in Toronto, you could always ask SuSu about their MTM programme. As I understand it they offer a wide variety of fabrics and options, including details not available in their RTW lines (high-rise trousers, pleats, different shoulder types, etc). A few posters here have tried it with positive results.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  18. MoreSpinach

MoreSpinach Member

Michael81, this is super helpful. I didn't know their Toronto outfit offered MTM. Worth checking for sure! Thank you.

19. Zerase

Zerase Member

Seems like they are finally opening a store in Stockholm, Sweden! Woohoo!!!

20. Michael81

Anyone else rather underwhelmed by the SS collection? The options for blue jackets in wool are pretty meh.

MxmHrpr and clarksdb like this.