1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

True. Somehow I fit into 40R Washington. I remember ordering 40R Lazio too and it was too tight. Even though Washington is the slimmer cut (marginally) but I have very wide shoulders. Looking at the size chart Washington indeed has wider shoulders than Lazio.

So I am thinking of trying 42R Lazio which has same shoulder measurement as a 40R Washington (supposedly). If that doesn't fit then perhaps the fit is not for me?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

I'm thinking of sping summer office wear stuff. Type of price where you don't wear a blazer but always a dress shirt and slacks

3. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

The zipper version is MUCH easier to pull off.

That said if you want to get noticed, get the DB version but to me that's just an odd item.

4. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

The issue on suits is also pants. I wear a 34 waist so moving up to a 42 increases the pants waist size. I had some larger pants taken down in the waist once and it made weird folds near the pockets.

1 person likes this.
  5. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I'm right in between 34 and 36 jacket size. Should I go for a slightly extender shoulder or the tighter and more restrictive size?

6. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

This is why I buy 2 sizes and return one. The shoulder only increases 0.4" each size you go up which is not really noticeable for people with symmetric shoulders. One of my shoulders extends further than the other so sometimes bigger jackets look off on one side.

7. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

@benjamin831 Should you feel disinclined to purchase two sizes, I would suggest choosing the larger of the two. If the shoulders are too small, the armholes will probably be small as well - which is a one-way trip to Divot City.

You'll probably also get better results altering a too-large jacket to fit than a too-small one.

You can see the problem here:

48L
    [​IMG]
    vs 50L
    [​IMG]

While I only had the sleeves shortened on the 48L, the 50L had to be taken in quite a bit in the body. The sleeves were slimmed, tapered and shortened from the shoulder. It cost a fair bit, but the end result was worth it, in my opinion.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  8. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

I would get the best fitting shoulder and then alter the chest to get a good fit.

I usually always do the same thing - buy two of each that I want and return the one that doesn't fit the best. I typically end up going with the smaller size because the larger size, while a better fit in the chest, extends just so slightly too far off of my shoulder. It's amazing what only 0.4" can do on my shoulders.

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Damn, the Lazio blue plain suit P5009I was just there yesterday in 42R and now it's sold out.

Do they usually re-stock sizes this early in the season?

I'm looking for a really nice shade of navy blue.

10. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I can't believe how quickly some of the good items are sold out .. Does this mean they are out of stock in their brick and mortar stores as well? Why don't they do the restock?

1 person likes this.
  11. Baked Potato

Baked Potato Senior member

I was just about to order this Lazio suit, but I suddenly happend to bump into this one. Is it only me, or is there barely any difference? I can't really seem to see anything different, just that the fabric structure varies a tiny bit.

Which one would you guys recommend me to go with? Is there anything that justifies the higher price point of the latter suit, perhaps nicer fabric quality? Also, can you guys see any variation in colour between them?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Please post product codes.

13. Baked Potato

Didn't the links work? First suit: P2529L. Second: P2778LA.

14. Suetonius

Suetonius Well-Known Member

I've got a Napoli that I think is the same fabric as the more expensive of those two options. It's a lovely deep blue with a very very subtle sheen when the light catches it right. It looks extremely smooth and it is hands down my favourite suit.

If you can I'd buy both and return one.

15. Baked Potato

I'll actually do as you said - I'll order them both. [​IMG]

By the way, does the suit look "blue" (navy) colourwise, or is it so dark that it can be mistaken for black? Also, isn't it too dark to be worn with brown shoes? Thought about wearing the suit with these oxfords to a birthday celebration I'm attending later this month.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  16. Suetonius

Suetonius Well-Known Member

It'll definitely not get mistaken for black. It looks navy.

I wear mine with brown shoes from time to time, it looks fine.

17. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I saw this in store today and its definitely very dark. Classic and will never go out of style but definitely veryyy dark navy.

18. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Question, if a suit shows under fall/winter can it still be worn in summer?

I mean some are obvious winter fabrics but some just seem good year around. I am thinking about P4944I in lazio if that helps. Anyone have that?

There just aren't any good navy 100% wool suits in Lazio 40L.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  19. EUtroll

EUtroll Senior member

Fabrics can seem similar but you do notice the difference when you put them on. That said, I do use some suits all year around. Some are a bit warmer than others but aside from the hottest days of summer it normally works.

1 person likes this.
  20. jeep364

jeep364 Active Member

Question about overcoats. I am interested in picking up a Camel overcoat. As a smaller, slim guy I figured the single breasted was my only option but am looking at a Bleecker fit as well. 65" 120# 28.5" waist.

I wear a 32R. Napoli and Havana jackets fit without any tailoring whatsoever (slight sleeve extension on the Havana IIRC). I do have one older Havana I bought from a member on here that was tagged a 32R but I brought it in at the waist a bit - it fit more like my Napolis with more room at the waist than the snug Havana I purchased recently.

On one of our favorite auction sites there is a Bleecker in 34R up for sale. Would that size work for me or should I hold out for a 32R?

I prefer a slimmer fit, but obviously I would want the overcoat to fit over my 32R Napolis which are slightly generous in the waist (I don't get those taken in to the 'modern' button popping look - they drape well but there is a bit of room) and shoulders compared to my Havanas.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017