• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are the fall/winter traveller fabrics different (thicker) than the summer versions?

Not if you live in the southern hemisphere...yes, they are. You will have thicker wools in the winter and linen blends in the summer.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

Not if you live in the southern hemisphere...yes, they are. You will have thicker wools in the winter and linen blends in the summer.

It appears he is asking about the traveler fabric specifically. Have you seen the summer and winter traveler in person?

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At some point one has to use common sense they wouldn't have two options if they were the same thing.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Just looked at traveler suits available. There are four and they are all in winter collection. All moved there from summer collection. All probably four season.

There's also an unlined wool/mohair that would probably do the trick if your looking for something lighter weight.

Last edited:

filterq

Reaction score
Actually looking for something heavier weight. Think I'll go with the striped blue flannel Havana and tan flannel Hudson. I have a few dedicated winter suits and enjoy the fun of having something different for the season. Decided I would get a few more and round out a small winter collection.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
What is the point of the summer outerwear Suitsupply makes? Does anyone here know why one might want a linen overcoat? I don't know much about outerwear. Here is southern california it rarely gets cold. I have a peacoat that I wear when it gets cold.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the point of the summer outerwear Suitsupply makes?  Does anyone here know why one might want a linen overcoat?  I don't know much about outerwear.  Here is southern california it rarely gets cold.  I have a peacoat that I wear when it gets cold.

because they're a european shop that sells to more than just californian clientelle

nights here can get chilly

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So a linen overcoat is for cool summer nights?

I lived in few very different climates, and do not see much use of linen overcoat. This is too much restrictive. What if it rains? Wind starts to blow? Some lighter cotton trench coat is a much better option. So, I'd say pure extravaganza, and this is what they are aiming at with linen overcoat.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
The new warm-weather collection brown Havana 3-piece is 38% wool, 31% silk, 31% linen.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suits/havana-brown-check/P4803.html

Does anyone have experience with a similar fabric composition? I'm wondering mostly how much the tendency to crease will be, as I'm not a fan of how creases look on a suit, regardless if that's part of linen's "charm".

Also how 'cool' the suit will be. Winter is just starting here but I really like the look of this . I've easily layered up underneath and on top of my other thin summer wool suits in the past, but wondering if this will be any different.

On another note I received that burgundy Havana. Not a huge fan of how the fabric feels, but it looks pretty nice. Returning it though, I prefer to buy full suits and split them up rather than jackets on their own. Will post pics soon.

EUtroll

Reaction score
I've a very similar sportcoat from them and it's surprisingly substantial despite the fabric mix. Not a winter material but certainly possible to layer up.

Osbeorn

Reaction score
I have a winter version 70% wool, 20%silk and 10% linen - not the exact same - but the trousers look very worn at the back (color change and more shiny as the fabric is worn down) after less than a years service.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two jackets. last S/S collection, one is Havana, the other Jort, both E Thomas cloth, and both some mix of wool, linen and silk. Those two particular ones are very nice and soft, drape great and everything, but I would not dare use that kind of cloth for pants. Just seams too delicate.
Now, this suit might be a different story, hard to tell from pictures... Order and if it is too delicate, return :) There are horror stories around here about their pants peeling off quickly.

ScofieldReturns

Reaction score
On another note I received that burgundy Havana. Not a huge fan of how the fabric feels, but it looks pretty nice. Returning it though, I prefer to buy full suits and split them up rather than jackets on their own. Will post pics soon.

Shoot, I just ordered that burgundy havana....what don't you like about the fabric? I'm very sensitive to scratchy fabrics...

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Quote:
I have a winter version 70% wool, 20%silk and 10% linen - not the exact same - but the trousers look very worn at the back (color change and more shiny as the fabric is worn down) after less than a years service.

Oh wow, I have a winter suit which is exactly the same composition as that. It's a blue Lazio with a subtle windowpane and glen plaid. I haven't noticed any creases or wear on this Lazio as of yet on this one (Had it since April). I read that they used winter weight linen in the description for this one, so I'm not sure about comparing that to summer weight linen.

Quote:
I have two jackets. last S/S collection, one is Havana, the other Jort, both E Thomas cloth, and both some mix of wool, linen and silk. Those two particular ones are very nice and soft, drape great and everything, but I would not dare use that kind of cloth for pants. Just seams too delicate.
Now, this suit might be a different story, hard to tell from pictures... Order and if it is too delicate, return :) There are horror stories around here about their pants peeling off quickly.

I've ordered it so I'll post pics and give my feedback when it arrives.

I have a pair of trousers that are 60% linen 40% cotton which has had a lot of use all year round and isn't showing signs of wear, but my only problem is that it creases a bit too much during the day.

Quote:
Shoot, I just ordered that burgundy havana....what don't you like about the fabric? I'm very sensitive to scratchy fabrics...

The fabric is 90% wool 10% cashmere but it doesn't feel as soft as I expected it to be considering that composition (I have a suit with this composition which is amazingly soft). Probably has something to do with the way the fabric is woven.

It has a rougher texture than I expected, but it does drape pretty nicely. This was the first true sport-coat I've ordered so maybe I'm just too used to suit fabrics, if it were a suit I'd most likely have kept it. I didn't consider the fabric to be the deal-breaker though.

2nd pic is the best representation of the fabric I could get. Lapels might look wider than usual since it's a pretty small size (32).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads