• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, took the suits to my local SuSu tonight. The SA took them straight to their tailor who said she'd do her best to fix the pants as they are, for free, probably with an interfacing or something of the sort. We'll see what happens.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who might be interested, my SuitSupply tuxedo trousers (VBC S110's) also pilled up pretty fast. On the first wear actually.

Out of complete honesty, I have to mention that the suit was worn on my wedding day, so a lot of dancing and moving around foolishly happened that night, and I'm a heavy sweater. Add to that the fact that I'm a hefty guy and have thigh rub, I guess this makes for a quite bad combo for trouser wear.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who might be interested, my SuitSupply tuxedo trousers (VBC S110's) also pilled up pretty fast. On the first wear actually.

Out of complete honesty, I have to mention that the suit was worn on my wedding day, so a lot of dancing and moving around foolishly happened that night, and I'm a heavy sweater. Add to that the fact that I'm a hefty guy and have thigh rub, I guess this makes for a quite bad combo for trouser wear.

Regardless of your hyperhydrosis or habitus, clothing items that we are consciously paying more for shouldn't need justification for their lack of durability. In my opinion, durability is one of the reasons worth spending extra on something (Not counting luxury super 160 fabrics, etc.). I realize SS isn't "premium" (by SF standards), but it is more expensive than what the majority of men spend on their formalwear. A company that is this large should do more research before choosing fragile fabrics and stamping VBC, Reda, Ormezzano, etc. on them. I read on another thread that there is a chance that these mills provide SS with outlet-level fabrics, which is why they are able to sell at their pricepoint.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I read the exact same thread (Spier & Mackay)? If this is true, it's a bit deceiptive, right?

Chulillo

Reaction score
Regardless of your hyperhydrosis or habitus, clothing items that we are consciously paying more for shouldn't need justification for their lack of durability. In my opinion, durability is one of the reasons worth spending extra on something (Not counting luxury super 160 fabrics, etc.). I realize SS isn't "premium" (by SF standards), but it is more expensive than what the majority of men spend on their formalwear. A company that is this large should do more research before choosing fragile fabrics and stamping VBC, Reda, Ormezzano, etc. on them. I read on another thread that there is a chance that these mills provide SS with outlet-level fabrics, which is why they are able to sell at their pricepoint.

I completely agree with you.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I read the exact same thread (Spier & Mackay)? If this is true, it's a bit deceiptive, right?

Tons of companies do it. Go to any outlet mall, and you will see Brooks Brothers stores full of "346" products, that are of inferior quality and not made in USA. I have seen outlet malls with Gucci, Burberry, and even Loro Piana stores. They are baiting the consumer who shops for the brand name and not the quality, which unfortunately is how many discern the provenance of clothing fabrics as well.

Last edited:

Chulillo

Reaction score
Tons of companies do it. Go to any outlet mall, and you will see Brooks Brothers stores full of "346" products, that are of inferior quality and not made in USA. I have seen outlet malls with Gucci, Burberry, and even Loro Piana stores. They are baiting the consumer who shops for the brand name and not the quality, which unfortunately is how many discern the provenance of clothing fabrics as well.

In my city there is an outlet with many American brands -some we all know very well- whose products are of much much lower quality that "the same ones" you can buy at full Price in any regular flagship store... that is a true pity though. Some other brands just make up a new sub-Brand or "name" for their specific outlet-oriented products.

Redirecting the topic again, what do you guys think of using a Washington jacket for a more casual wear? I am already own two Washington jackets and I am thinking of purchasing another one but to wear as a more relaxed piece... no tie and cotton pants or even jeans... thoughts?

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
I saw the s&m thread where it says that suitsupply gets vbc cloth specifically for them at a lower price. I thought they were talking about for blue line suits.

The issue is definitely with the fabrics, and I don't think it's a common issue.

tonysn

Reaction score
Going to be in a beach wedding next year so I'm in the market for a navy suit that needs to be breathable. The rep recommended the Havana Navy traveller jacket/pants since it's a breathable mohair fabric (and partially lined) but I'm wanting a slightly lighter color.

Does anyone have experience/photos of the Sienna or Lazio in the Wool Linen fabric? I'm concerned with wrinkles since I'll be wearing it throughout the days for photos. Open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/sienna-blue-plain/P3882I.html?vpid=P3882I24
http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/lazio-blue-plain/P4260I.html?vpid=P4260I25

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree. When I took the suits back to SuSu yesterday evening, the SA gave me

1) the line about how the suits shouldn't be used in "excessive physical activity." Duh. I'm sitting at an office desk, not running sprints.

2) how the only fabric he'd "heard" of pilling and shredding was the wool-cashmere blends, of which my Havana was one - as if this was justification for it disintegrating after 3 wears.

Despite whatever good-faith effort SuSu will make at repairing the pants, if they subsequently go, I'll force through a return - if not directly through the store, then via my credit card. And I will not be purchasing SuSu products in the future.

Last edited:

CaptainTohm

Reaction score
I only own one SuSu suit currently (Havana traveler) but I haven't noticed any problems. Further, I've owned three other SuSu suits I outgrew and had to sell that I never had problems with..

All of that said, I can understand not wanting to risk trousers or full suits anymore, but I have nothing but love for all of my SuSu jackets. I haven't found anything as high quality in that price range for jackets.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
In my city there is an outlet with many American brands -some we all know very well- whose products are of much much lower quality that "the same ones" you can buy at full Price in any regular flagship store... that is a true pity though. Some other brands just make up a new sub-Brand or "name" for their specific outlet-oriented products.

Redirecting the topic again, what do you guys think of using a Washington jacket for a more casual wear? I am already own two Washington jackets and I am thinking of purchasing another one but to wear as a more relaxed piece... no tie and cotton pants or even jeans... thoughts?

I feel peak lapels on a single-breasted sport coat are already pushing the boundaries. As peak lapels are more formal in my eyes, I'd never imagine wearing them with jeans; dressy cotton chinos could work.

I guess it all boils down to the actual jacket and which jeans you plan to wear, as well as the rest of the outfit. So if you think you could put together a great outfit give it a try, but I'd personally go for a notch lapel jacket in this case.

I had an obsession over peak lapels (Blame Harvey Specter/Tom Ford for that) before and wouldn't even consider notch lapels until I bought a Hudson. I'm glad it's over as my options opened up vastly since, but I still do love the way peak lapels look.

I saw the s&m thread where it says that suitsupply gets vbc cloth specifically for them at a lower price. I thought they were talking about for blue line suits.

The issue is definitely with the fabrics, and I don't think it's a common issue.

I haven't had this issue on 5/6 of my Suitsupply suits, one of which I've had for almost a year (worn almost once a week since) and is S130s soft donegal tweed.

It's just this wool-cashmere suit which is piling, I don't see a way they could fix it since the fabric seems to be the actual problem.

CaptainTohm

Reaction score
@Chulillo I wear my Washington odd jacket all the time casually.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had no SuSu issues, although I have not had a great amount of experience. In wear my Reda suit at least once a week, to weddings, work, etc., and I have had no issues. I think you just have to be realistic with the fabric.

Chulillo

Reaction score
I feel peak lapels on a single-breasted sport coat are already pushing the boundaries. As peak lapels are more formal in my eyes, I'd never imagine wearing them with jeans; dressy cotton chinos could work.

I guess it all boils down to the actual jacket and which jeans you plan to wear, as well as the rest of the outfit. So if you think you could put together a great outfit give it a try, but I'd personally go for a notch lapel jacket in this case.

I had an obsession over peak lapels (Blame Harvey Specter/Tom Ford for that) before and wouldn't even consider notch lapels until I bought a Hudson. I'm glad it's over as my options opened up vastly since, but I still do love the way peak lapels look.

I haven't had this issue on 5/6 of my Suitsupply suits, one of which I've had for almost a year (worn almost once a week since) and is S130s soft donegal tweed.

It's just this wool-cashmere suit which is piling, I don't see a way they could fix it since the fabric seems to be the actual problem.

I have always agree with you but lately I am feeling a bit more daring to mix things up a Little... I still don't know if I will do it but I am really considering it.

@Chulillo I wear my Washington odd jacket all the time casually.

Thanks mate, I like it!! Is that the new Fall/Winter Washington? I am considering that one or a solid navy one... It looks really good. I believe we have a similar frame and the cut of that jacket feels really good, it suits us well I think.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics