• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Thanks, fieldofdreams I appreciate the feedback. There was something markedly different between this and the York jacket that I couldn't quite put my finger on - maybe it was the button stance. I'll have to do some more reading up on these conventions. This Napoli purchase was slightly rushed because I needed a 2nd suit rather quickly, so I want to be a bit more measured in my next pickup. Thanks for for the heads up on the birdseye as well.

I'll give the Lazio a shot. Sadly, all the SS jackets I've tried have been a little too short, the Havana egregiously so to the extent that I think I'll going to sell mine. I've never really thought I would be a "Long", but maybe I should try 42L/44L as well. Plus I can use the tombstone boxes as halloween decorations.

44L in Lazio would probably be a perfect fit. Except that you would have to have the sleeves shortened from the shoulder. This would be fairly expensive. Probably at least $50 and up to $100. You'd also want to find a highly competent tailor to perform the task.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an update - I bought a trio of SuSu suits this year between March and June as I moved into an office job. Nothing physically stressful - one of the suits I've only managed 3 occasions to wear; two weddings and a baby blessing.

Can now report that the crotch is wearing through on one of the Havanas, and the Napoli. Absolutely unacceptable for such limited wear. Will not be purchasing from SuSu again.

The fraying hasn't yet reached some of the levels we've seen other posters demonstrate on here. Any way to reinforce the crotch to nip it in the bud and extend the life of these things to *gasp* possibly a year of infrequent wear?!

EDIT:

Photos
Worst Offender: Havana 1: 3 wears as of this morning.

Havana 2: 3-4 wears, just beginning, apparently, to fray and pill.

Napoli, 3-4 wears. Texture changing a bit right at the seam.

The kicker is that on all of these, when buying them, I could have gone for either the 40 or 42. I went with the 42s for the sake of bigger pants precisely because I didn't want premature pant wear from tight thighs.

Last edited:

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

As an update - I bought a trio of SuSu suits this year between March and June as I moved into an office job. Nothing physically stressful - one of the suits I've only managed 3 occasions to wear; two weddings and a baby blessing.

Can now report that the crotch is wearing through on one of the Havanas, and the Napoli. Absolutely unacceptable for such limited wear. Will not be frequenting SuSu again.

The fraying hasn't yet reached some of the levels we've seen other posters demonstrate on here. Any way to reinforce the crotch to nip it in the bud and extend the life of these things to *gasp* possibly a year of infrequent wear?!

Are your pants tailored very closely to the thigh?

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are your pants tailored very closely to the thigh?

Nope - not at all. Went back and added images. Purposefully went with the larger of sizes at purchase to avoid this.

Chulillo

Reaction score
Wow @El Argentino what a shame... That is exactley what happened to my sweaters from SuSu... Love the color and how they fit me but they wornt out in barely two or three days of use (very spaced out used, not two or three days in a row). On jackets or shirts I have not had that problem at all... thank goodness.

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can now report that the crotch is wearing through on one of the Havanas, and the Napoli. Absolutely unacceptable for such limited wear. Will not be purchasing from SuSu again.

EDIT:
Photos
Worst Offender: Havana 1: 3 wears as of this morning.

Havana 2: 3-4 wears, just beginning, apparently, to fray and pill.

Napoli, 3-4 wears. Texture changing a bit right at the seam.

The kicker is that on all of these, when buying them, I could have gone for either the 40 or 42. I went with the 42s for the sake of bigger pants precisely because I didn't want premature pant wear from tight thighs.

This is worrisome. What fabrics were these suits made from?

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
@El Argentino it's very strange how this happens to some people. I have several of their suits and it did happen to me once. The suit I wore to my wedding. I think it was the combination of a 200g fabric that included mohair, making it rough, and dancing a lot in a suit i had tailored to fit slim through the thighs. None of my other suits by them show any signs of wear in the crotch. The one suit that does, it is very minor.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
I have never had that issue on any of my suits until recently.

My wool-cashmere Havana which I bought a few weeks ago is showing this in the crotch area, even though the trousers are probably the least tightly fitting trousers I have. I've only worn it about 4-5 times, so I'm sort of wondering if I should notify Suitsupply about it or not; anyone had luck rectifying this issue before?

I think the problem is the fabric rather than the construction or fit of the suit, as I've never had this issue before.

dk321

Reaction score
I have been a long time lurker (read maybe the #3000-#6500 posts on this thread thus far) and I recently purchased a Blue Sienna in 32R. Immediately, I noticed the feel and the drape of this suit is unlike anything I have worn before. For reference, I have an Alfrani and a Bar III suits before buying the Sienna, and for the lack for better words, they fit like paper bags compared to the Sienna.

I want you guys to give me some brutally honest fit feedback on the following photos. I have a few issues in mind, but I am really interested to hear what other people on this forum would say about these, especially having read a tons of very useful feedback on fit from this thread. I would also be interested in finding out what other SuitSupply fits I should try next.

Sorry about the mess in the pants, they are supposed to be hemmed to a slight break, but my relatively big calves, thick knee length socks and the windy day had made them ride up like mad. Also sorry about the sun flare on the back shot....

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:

MrTopCat

Reaction score
I have been a long time lurker (read maybe the #3000-#6500 posts on this thread thus far) and I recently purchased a Blue Sienna in 32R. Immediately, I noticed the feel and the drape of this suit is unlike anything I have worn before. For reference, I have an Alfrani and a Bar III suits before buying the Sienna, and for the lack for better words, they fit like paper bags compared to the Sienna.

I want you guys to give me some brutally honest fit feedback on the following photos. I have a few issues in mind, but I am really interested to hear what other people on this forum would say about these, especially having read a tons of very useful feedback on fit from this thread. I would also be interested in finding out what other SuitSupply fits I should try next.

Sorry about the mess in the pants, they are supposed to be hemmed to a slight break, but my relatively big calves, thick knee length socks and the windy day had made them ride up like mad. Also sorry about the sun flare on the back shot....

Edited for grammar.

Looks like it fits pretty well all around, except for one issue.

The issue is the shoulder divots, it seems like a fairly common problem on the Sienna. There's nothing you can really do to fix this issue, it seems like your shoulders are a bit too wide for the suit. Your options would be to try a larger size, or the same size but different cut, or possibly Made-to-Measure.

Also, is it the wind making the vent flare out like that in the side view picture?

Last edited:

dk321

Reaction score

Looks like it fits pretty well all around, except for one issue.

The issue is the shoulder divots, it seems like a fairly common problem on the Sienna. There's nothing you can really do to fix this issue, it seems like your shoulders are a bit too wide for the suit. Your options would be to try a larger size, or the same size but different cut, or possibly Made-to-Measure.

Also, is it the wind making the vent flare out like that in the side view picture?

Thanks for the quick reply! Yup, you are right on with the the shoulder being too small. fortunately I think the vent flare on the left side of the back vent was mostly due to wind (right side is not flaring up as much as the left in the side view I posted, in reality, they fall about the same when stationary), though this is after the waist has already been let out by 3/4"-1", but nothing else has been done to the jacket otherwise.

Funny (or sad) story how I ended up with a size too small:

1. I was trying on some Lazios and Napolis on a whim while on a trip to NYC recently; I remembered the SA commented I was a 32R, so that kinda stuck with me when I went to purchase online later. However, after reading 3,000 posts on this thread, it seems that recommending a size too small is a recurring theme with SuitSupply SAs. My next one is probably going to be the next size up in anything I am gonna try.
2. I got bigger in my chest (~2") and shoulders (~?") between first getting this suit and getting it back from the tailor.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never had that issue on any of my suits until recently.

My wool-cashmere Havana which I bought a few weeks ago is showing this in the crotch area, even though the trousers are probably the least tightly fitting trousers I have. I've only worn it about 4-5 times, so I'm sort of wondering if I should notify Suitsupply about it or not; anyone had luck rectifying this issue before?

I think the problem is the fabric rather than the construction or fit of the suit, as I've never had this issue before.

The one with the most wear that I have pictured, the first Havana, is a wool cashmere blend as well.

I showed this to my wife, who completely went off and said I should return all three of them to suit supply. As a fresh grad $1500 for suits for my work wardrobe is quite an investment. No reason that this should be happening at all. And I don't care what their return policy is.

Edit: I went back and compared the crotch of these trousers to a few other suits that iVe had through undergrad and other jobs. This includes suits from Banana Republic that I've owned for six or seven years. None of them show wear like this, even having been worn hard twice a week.

Last edited:

iSurg

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on this Havana jacket/suit?

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/jackets/havana-navy-plain/C4760.html

Looking for a 4 seasons navy blazer suit for Australian summer...

Just wondering if any of you blokes have bought it and your thoughts on the fabric performance. I have 2 Havana and 2Hudson jackets. Love them both.

Bump

Any guys out there have this as a suit? Hoping it doesn't suffer from the same issues as the blended fabrics immediately posted above...
Do you think that the fabrics from named mills are less likely to pill?

Last edited:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All three of mine are named mills. Will double check the tags tonight. FWIW, the jackets don't demonstrate any similar wear

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been away from the forum for several months so i don't know if it's been discussed here or not...

has anyone tried suitsupply's MTM? your experience? worth it?
2 of the cuts fit me PERFECTLY up top... but the pants are always bursting at the seams
i let out my pants to the max and i am always self conscious when i am sitting or crouching down (such as when i tie my shoelaces)
so i want to try getting my pants made to measure next time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads