1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. quuz

quuz Senior member

Great fit, did you have it altered as well? Also regarding the sizing guide, did you end up sizing up or down?

2. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Nice write up and fit pic. Do you normally wear 36R?

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

Looks a bit too snug in the waist in comparison to the overall look. Other than that, looks good.

4. brillopad

brillopad Senior member

Thanks. This is the unaltered and unpressed look, right out of the box. I wear a 36R or occasionally 36S, so I would say it runs true to size IME. I'd size up in length if you're on the cusp.

5. timotune

timotune Senior member

Absolutely stunnig and perfect fit! Almost looks like good bespoke & puts some bad mtm and bespoke in the corner!

6. brillopad

brillopad Senior member

Thanks for the kind words! I am very pleased as well. Nice tumblr btw.

7. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

then what is its purpose

8. thedose

thedose Active Member

you have much to learn [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

+1--great fit. Maybe a bit snug in the waist, but really, really nice on the whole.

10. facet

facet Senior member

I'll add another "kudos" as well; that looks very good on you.

11. EconEric

EconEric New Member

Styleforum Friends,

I have been a longtime beneficiary of all of the advice on these forums and am excited to contribute for the first time.

I have been spending quite a bit of time and effort looking for a plain navy suit. I am hoping to wear this suit at my wedding and then at many occasions after. I do not wear a suit daily or even weekly so durability is not as high on the priority list as straight up bad ass fasion. As per advice on the forums, I have been trying to stay patient and find the perfect suit.

Point of reference: I am 5'10'' and weigh 170lbs.

My first effort in finding this suit was the Ludlow from J.Crew. I used quite a few sportcoats from J.Crew but do not own any suiting. I ordered in my usual J.Crew Sizes: 38s and 31X30 in the slim trousers. When the suit arrived it has cut way too tight. I could fit into both items but the trousers were too tight, the lapels bowed significantly, and there was significant pull across the back (sorry, no pics). I returned and ordered 40s and 32X20. The pants fit well the second time around but the jacket was too large.

After a bit more research, I decided that I would try a Suitsupply London fit. I followed the Suitsupply sizing advice and ordered a 38r. I decided on the London because I definitely like the traditional English tailored look and a lower button stance. When I received the suit, I could immediately appreciate the attention to detail and the quality in the garment. I was impressed. Unfortunately, the suit just didn't do it for me. You can see the pics below. I think the shoulders of the jacket fit but it could have been cut trimmer around the midsection and the sleeves would need to be altered (more difficult due to the functioning button holes). The pants needed some serious work. The waist (supposedly a 32 but I would guess 35) needed to be taken in. The legs also needed to be taken in and tailored. Of course, hemming would have been necessary.

[​IMG]

More than the fit, I just thought the suit was not for me. It was was more Tom Ford than Thom Browne (I guess I lean a little more toward the undersized, minimal style). The lapels were relatively wide. The suit was cut longer. This type of cut seems to be consistent across the different Suitsupply cuts. I recognize the most of these criticisms (other that the lapels) can be tailored away (at significant costs) but eventually I came to the conclusion that turning this suit into what I was looking for would be way harder than just finding a different suit that met my personal aesthetic.

So... I actually, recently found I suit that I am really excited about but I am scared to share it with the community. At the insistence of my mother and other family friends, I went to Nordstrom's. I went with low expectations. I knew many of their "designer" products were low quality and high priced. However, the first suit that I tried on was perfect. It was a Hugo Boss in a size 38s. Yes, it was fused. Yes, it was not 100% wool. But, it fits incredibly well and I feel like a million bucks in it - which is exactly how you are supposed to feel when you put on the right suit.

[​IMG]

The pic above is from the store (sorry about the lighting and I know those shoes are inappropriate). The pants are currently being hemmed. If you guys want I can post pictures once I get the suit back.

Thanks for letting me share my story. I hope it helps others on their journey to find the right suit. As far as morals to the story, I would say 1) Suitsupply is high quality stuff but has a powerful look that isn't for everyone and 2) it never hurts to take a look ... you never know what you may find.

EconEric

12. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

I am very tempted by the solid navy Havana suit after seeing the fit of Brillopads sc. Anyone tried the suit ?

13. thedose

thedose Active Member

Give it a shot, free returns, what have you got to lose?

Based on the measurements, the Havana cut seems perfect. I will be buying some Havana SCs soon, but I'm also waiting to see what they will launch for the Spring campaign

14. brillopad

brillopad Senior member

I agree, give it a shot. I'm glad to see that they've been expanding the Havana cut options but they do seem to sell out rather quickly, so time may be important. I've also seen the prices occasionally rise as well.

15. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I was just at their Chicago store looking for a navy suit. I got the Sienna from their Suit Up line. I'm normally a 36 in shoulder but was looking for a more contemporary look. The 35 fit me great right off the rack. The shoulders were perfect with almost non-existing padding that spotlighted my sharp shoulders.

It would have been great just off the rack but I got the side seams taken in about an inch to get that sand glass look. I had the pants shortened about an inch as well to show some sock.
    In the end the suit looks like it was made just for me. I have a three-thousand plus look and it only set me back $680 with the tailoring.

It should get here by Friday. *** If you get it shipped to an address outside Chicago you don't have to pay taxes!!! You would just pay a $15 shipping fee. That saved me over $60!

I'll post pictures as soon as it gets here.

16. steffenbp11

wow, it seems it's sold out just since last night...

17. thedose

thedose Active Member

and I bet this thread is part of that reason [​IMG] there are TONS of people who lurk these forums, I know because I used to be one of them. Part of me wishes that the pictures could be only accessible to members so we wouldn't get sniped [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  18. steffenbp11

Seems they restocked quickly, or it maybe it was just a software error. Anyway, navy Havana kop completed :slayer:

1 person likes this.
  19. timotune

timotune Senior member

my second Havana was delivered yesterday and is already at the tailor to alter sleeves.

20. steffenbp11

The donegal SC really fits you well. What did you get this time ?