1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ZheNewYork

ZheNewYork Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of tailor would alter suit shoulders for $60, but the shoulder on your suit actually looks too small to me. The jacket also looks a little too small for you in general.

1 person likes this.
  2. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Yes I am and pretty much yes I do.. Most of the collections work in a L except the Sienna that I think is cut a little shorter.. I could be wrong though... Thanks for the words @BlairW !

3. b14k

b14k Active Member

He told me it was $60 to narrow the shoulders. This is my first suit, so I am not sure how pricing works. I am located in San Francisco. When you say the jacket looks small, are you talking about the length? I am a small guy (5'6"), so should I size up to a 34 or try another fit in a size 32?

4. arnold76

arnold76 Member

It fits you very well in sleeves and jacket length. The chest seems a bit narrow, there's a bit of pulling when buttoned and it's causing the lapel to bow, you might be able to let that out. The shoulder divots are caused when either the jacket extends past your shoulder, or when your shoulder extends past the jacket and pushes out on the fabric. It's hard to tell the cause. I would go up a size at the expense of length, but that's a compromise buying OTR

5. MeachamLake

MeachamLake Senior member

Recieved my new Washington Half - just got it back from the tailors. What a suit! Sleeves needed to be shortened from the shoulder, but other than that it's perfect. I love the lapels - much prefer it to the standard Washington - and the fabric is very nice indeed.

Looks like this one actually has been removed from the main site in advance of being sent to the outlet, so I grabbed it just in time!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    4 people like this.
  6. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

^^ looks very nice - love the fabric!

1 person likes this.
  7. tmai

tmai Member

Your shoulders look pretty close to correct. Setting expectations, it is almost impossible to get a perfect fit OTR, but that doesn't mean you can get something that is fits very well. the slight divot in the shoulder usually comes from the sloping of your shoulder being more drastic than the cut of the suit shoulders. Its not an issues but it looks rather nice so far.

I wouldn't pay a tailor to fix it for a couple of reasons: 1. Cutting from the shoulder is very risky. Not many tailors can do it well and it would really change the integrity of the suit itself. 2. Unless you really trust this tailor, again most people might end up butchering it.

If you ever want to get rid of the divot, opt for a softer shoulder (one with less padding) and it will almost always get rid of the divot because it allows for more wiggle room in shoulder sloping.

It's hard to say if it is too tight without seeing it in person. It shows very slight signs of tugging on the suit but not bad by any means, it looks like it should a good hourglass shape on the sides (front and back), I would argue against it from this picture alone. Just remember that if you want a see if it is tailor along the body, have a friend pinch the side seams on the body and if there is around 0.5 inch of fabric on the pinch all the way down, then it is tailored and you should not take in anymore.

Looks like a good fit.

Cheers!

8. suited

suited Senior member

Fabric looks really nice, but I'm not a fan of the lapels. Seems like they're going for a Tom Ford lookalike, which I've never liked because I think the gorge is too low. I believe their 3-roll-2 Washington has a higher gorge and slightly more narrow lapel, which looks better IMO. I wish they'd stop putting working cuffs on their jackets from the factory.

9. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

How are the trousers on the Washington? High rise or mid rise? Heavily tapered?

10. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Do any Suit Supply models have a high rise? (Serious question.)

Cheers,

Ac

11. b14k

b14k Active Member

The shoulder divot is the only thing bothering me right now. If i wanted to try and get rid of the divot, is it easier to narrow the shoulders or softening the shoulder pads?

12. tmai

tmai Member

Narrowing the shoulders and softening the shoulders is pretty much a very difficult alteration. Almost impossible to do retroactively. I would honestly say it is very much so impossible.

You are better off just wearing the suit for now, because it does look good and the shoulders are very close. No one will really notice but yourself. I would say that next time, just remember to look at the shoulders and perhaps opt for a different style on the shoulder.

13. b14k

b14k Active Member

you're right. I am overthinking it. thanks for the advice!

14. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

Would you guys please post a couple of pics of what is, for you, a "high rise" trousers?

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  16. Michael81

Michael81 Senior member

I have a similar problem with a Washington half I bought. The divots really bothered me too, so I took it to my tailor. She said it is possible to reshape the shoulder padding with a super-heated iron. This could potentially solve the issue without the need for any invasive surgery.

I'll let you know how it turns out on Friday.

17. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

Well, I don't recall seeing something similar in Suitsupply's line up. Honestly, and to me, it's kind of arguable the looks of a "high rise" trousers like the ones you posted. But if it works for you... cool

1 person likes this.
  18. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

The standard Washington has a relatively high rise.

19. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Co-sign.

20. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Neither. Your tailor needs to extend or reshape the armhole. Not an easy task if possible at all.
    Contrary to intuition narrowing shoulders will make it worse.