Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

Thanks. I am really deciding if it is even worth it. Most people don't wear Tuxedos anymore on Cruises and I don't really go to many black tie affairs. But I have always wanted to have one just in case.

2. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I'm going on a cruise in December as well (over New Year's Eve), and I faced the same decision. I ended up with a Joseph a bank signature peak lapel tuxedo for 300. I probably would have preferred suit supply if I had known about it at the time. But if you can't get a good fit, then it probably isn't the way to go. Unfortunately, in that price range, there are very few options for a peak lapel tuxedo.

3. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

The 40L fits good, just a little loose in the jacket. They charge 27 dollars to alter it. It is not bad and the pants for the 40L are near perfect. I am still deciding. My wife and I take cruises regularly so I guess it would be considered a good investment.

4. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

They sell the tuxedo-trousers separately. Productcode "B1109".

5. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

Nice, but what about the Jacket? It would be great if they sold that separately.

6. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Loose where? Loose in the shoulders is unfixable. Loose anywhere else is fixable.

7. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

shoulders are fine, it is a little loose in sides and midsection.

8. zizou

zizou Well-Known Member

for what it's worth, i purchased the washington peak lapel tuxedo in the spring (may have been last season's collection since the picture on the website is different).

i wear a 40R in other suits so i purchased the 40R. the jacket was fine. the waist was very suppressed so i would have had to let it out a bit. the pants were beyond alterations. i have large soccer thighs, and the pants made it look like i was wearing leggings. so i ended up having to return it.

i ended up buying a peak lapel tuxedo from the wizard of aahs for $300ish.

9. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

If the shoulders fit on the 40L, and the pants are exactly right, you're hemming and hawing over some nips through the body? I don't understand your problem here.

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

So the shoulders work on both the 38L and the 40L? I would think they could only be perfect on one of them.

11. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

You are right, I am being picky. I just need to decide if I really want a tuxedo.

12. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Since you mentioned that you go on cruises often, I would go for it. I only have one upcoming cruise planned, and I ended up buying one. Since you cruise often, can you comment on the percentage of people wearing tuxedos on the formal nights?

13. beowolf

beowolf Senior member

To be honest, there weren't many men wearing tuxedos on our last cruise, but the ones that did looked great. That's what got me thinking about wearing one because they seems to be enjoying the moment. My wife and I have had a very stressful year dealing with a health scare and being so busy that I wanted to make this cruise something special. I have plenty of suits, many of them MTM, but I never considered a tuxedo.

14. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

If you're used to a lot of MtM, I doubt you'd be satisfied with SuitSupply's value tux. Personally, I would make sure my Tux is the best I can get-- they're worn on special occasions in which you want to look good, after all.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  15. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

Do it. You will really enjoy the ritual aspect of putting it on - cuff links, studs, bow tie, etc.