1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Solaxun

Solaxun Member

Been on a never-ending quest to find a suit that fits me well, figured I'd try these guys out since they have a pretty good rep and good return policy.

I loved the Washington but there were 3 problems that force me to return it

(i) my arms barely fit in that thing and i couldnt bend my elbow without feeling like i was gonna hulk out of the suit.
    (ii) lapel bowed a bit, chest or upper back probably a bit too tight
    (iii) lapel peaks stick out above the shoulder from different viewing angles, and at any movement (again may be from the tightness, but I've noticed this a recurring problem from several posters, i think they just made the peak too high)

The suit was very very nice other than the fit issues, if i could get those worked out (which will prob require MTM assuming the peaks sitcking out is a result of tightness and not poor design) I would buy all my suits there.

2. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Most of thier suits are pretty slim.. even the Napoli.. the Napoli just gives more room in the shoulders and chest... but the pants are pretty slim.. and the sides are slim, not overwhelmingly so like a Dior Homme or Ralph Lauren Black Label.. but still slim..do not have the Washington but I figure I would have to size up to fit in them due to their arm holes.. as for the peak lapels.. they are done so because they market mostly to really fashion forward younger guys who prefer that in the face fashion appeal..not my style thus I don't have any Washington fits, yet.. but I understand the aesthetic..

3. thedose

thedose Active Member

Ugh, this is why I hate my stats... So hard to find good fitting good quality stuff without spending an arm and a leg [​IMG]

I'm gonna drive up to the Georgetown store this weekend and see if any of their other models fit better (fingers crossed) if not, then so much for that brand...

Thanks for the critique! [​IMG]

4. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I really wish they would have waistcoats with their formalwear. Just makes them not a real option without having to go MTM.

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I agree with Chocsosa, doesn't look good in current form. Shaving off 1.5" is not something you want to be doing to this coat. If you bought a long you need to get a regular (or if a regular you need a short). You also need to size down one (38 to 36 or whatever). don't button that top button.

6. blue2007

blue2007 Senior member

My first SS suit but I chose the wrong size. I went with a 42L Washington http://us.suitsupply.com/suit-grey-...509w/P2509W,en_US,pd.html?start=31&cgid=Suits

and I had to altered the sleeves 3/4 and hem the pants.

After taking a second look at home, I realized that a 42R would have been the ideal one. I'm 6"3 but the jacket is just a bit too long.

Thinking about selling it. Anyone interested? It has never been worn.

7. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

Timo, did you buy the Spalla? I thought I saw a jacket of the model on your tumblr. Would love to see how it looks when worn.

8. filterq

filterq Well-Known Member

A couple thing; First off - do not button the top button. It's a 3 roll 2, meaning you never button the top button, it's cut to fit like a 2 even though it's a 3. The whole thing is too long and you should order a short and see how that goes. The whole jacket will fit better since the buttoning point will be at the proper position, where your hips start on the jacket will be proper, it's more than just the length being better. It may be that the shoulders will end up fitting better as well because the arm-hole is cut different and the opening will likely be in a better position in relation to your body.

9. pleco

pleco Well-Known Member

Got myself a free Sienna in a grey birdseye. The Jort is cut very oddly. It would accomodate someone with a large chest and slim waist best yet fairly narrow shoulders best. The extra wide lapels would lead me to believe that this cut would look best on size 40+ also. If you are a more boxy build Sienna wins hands down. If you want the hand spec of the Jort but don't have the chest - waist ratio for it, MTM is the way to go.

10. RedRider

RedRider New Member

Question for you guys. Just got my plain navy Napoli in and tried it on (40R). I used the fit 'advisor' on their site. It's snug, but I really like the suit. The only thing I can see wrong is that the lapels are often not hanging smoothly on the inside roll. I don't know what the proper term is for what they're doing, but I googled pucker, pinch, etc and nothing similar came up. I'd rather not go up a size as the pants fit me perfectly with the 34" waist. Is this a common problem? Is it a problem at all? Thanks in advance![​IMG]

11. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I would have to see what you are talking about but the Napoli's with the wider lapels have a really nice roll that when buttoned will still roll a little bit. Sign of lapel that has a great roll.. all my suits with beautiful lapel rolls do this.. I'm thinking thats what you are talking about..

12. Rankiz

Rankiz Senior member

I think he means there is much air between the lapels and his chest.

13. RedRider

RedRider New Member

I'll try and take a better pic. I'm talking about the inside 'v' edge that the lapel of the coat makes. There are points halfway up the 'v' on both sides where what appears to be extra fabric ripples. The canvas underneath doesn't feel like its doing the same thing, but the fabric along the roll pinches, puckers, whatever you call it. I think if there was a tad less fabric it wouldn't do it. I'd think that would be fixable since the fabric just floats freely over the canvas.

14. timotune

timotune Senior member

I just have a top shot with crappy lighting:
    [​IMG]

No alterations yet. Sleeves obv. too long, some sleeve pitch issues (I have those with all of my coats :confused:).
    Size is a 40r and it is this one: http://www.suitsupply.com/suit-blue...3343,en,pd.html?start=53&cgid=Suits&srule=Fit

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  15. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Looks like it has potential. Are you keeping it ?

16. timotune

timotune Senior member

Yes. I bought it BNWT from a user in another forum for a pretty low price (~450€)

I will go to my tailor after Christmas, the sleeves can be fixed.

17. PaisleySnail

PaisleySnail Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I'm assuming that's what you're talking about? I'm not sure what's causing that but I think the jacket fits well overall.

18. RedRider

RedRider New Member

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about, thanks. The jacket does fit my contours well, just a little tight in the chest/back, but I'm thinking I'm ok with that. Back looks good too. Very impressed with quality, much much better than anything I've tried at the various malls all over Miami for past two weeks $1000 and below.

19. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

It might mean that the chest is a little tight. Or maybe it just needs to be steamed/pressed. A live tailor might know.

20. blue2007

blue2007 Senior member

Can you guys please critique this fit? It's a 42L Washington, I'm 6"2.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]