1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jayross

Jayross Active Member

Sure.

1: I'm a 20 year old university student. I probably won't be wearing it much during the school year, but I spend my summer months in NYC, which is when I enjoy dressing well, meeting new people, going to different events, etc. Basically I want something that I can wear around SoHo, to nice dinner dates, etc.

2. I'm a 35 chest, regular. 30 waist.

Yeah, I'm still unsure about the material. NYC in the summer is pretty outrageous at times in terms of heat or humidity. However, a linen suit ins't exactly the kind of look I'm going for, which is why I'm thinking a summer-weight wool would be the best option. I probably won't wear it too often, but maybe 8-10 times a month?

And I know online MTM can be very inconsistent, but I just assumed that due to my skinny nature (5'11", 145lbs), that I would get the best fit that way. However, after looking at suit supply, I figured that might be the better option (especially for my budget, which is probably under $500. Asides from Suit Supply, what other places in NYC would you recommend? I just heard suit supply is the slimmest fitting, which is definitely what I'm going for.

2. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

What cut suit is that?

3. WhyAlwaysMe

WhyAlwaysMe Well-Known Member

4. MALTLIQUOR

MALTLIQUOR Member

The NYC store is my only frame of reference, and RIX is smaller in both square footage and stock than NY. I was in that mall three or four times over the space of five days recently and never saw any customers in the shop. Looked to be three women working at any one time, so you can expect immediate attention.

5. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

Have you considered a couple of sports coats instead of a suit? For the same price as a suit, you could get 2 sports coats, which would work with chinos, matching belt and shoes (maybe suede in sand / stone colour)? Check out the Guide to Coherent Sportcoat thread for ideas - particularly picture no.4. You'll still look well-dressed, and will have more variety than simply wearing the same suit. If you are thinking of going down the suit route and will be wearing it 8-10 times a month in a NYC summer (I'm in London - no comparison), then you may need to think tropical wool or something like fresco or linen.

In terms of fit, I'm an inch taller than you but 35lbs heavier! Yeah, you are skinny! The best way to determine if OTR is the way to go is to measure yourself. Suit Supply have an online size advisor for their suits to allow you to input your measurements and determine which suit is appropriate (if any) for your measurements. I'm pretty much a 40R with minimal alterations - besides the taking the chest in a little, or lengthening sleeves 1/4 inch.

Sadly, since I live the other side of the Atlantic, I'm not au fait with NYC outlets. If you perform a search using NYC as a search term, there should be a number of threads where you can pick up recommendations to try on suits / sports jackets.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  6. Jayross

Jayross Active Member

Thanks. That's helpful info about a sportcoat, maybe I should get one or two of those.. though I still feel like I want a full-on suit. I'll definitely look around and see what my options are. Thanks for your help!

7. filterq

filterq Well-Known Member

Only go on-line MTM as a last resort. Until you get used to wearing a suit and what it should look like you'll have a hard time just evaluating the suit you get for a remake if it's not perfect out of the box (which it most likely won't be). You may also want to get a slim fitting 36 rather than a 35 for the extra length. If it's a 7 inch drop, then the pants won't be too off. Try a few bodies and see what works. You should get some good help from their staff.

8. The Gold Bug

The Gold Bug Well-Known Member

Seriously.... Sienna is the best f* thing ever.

9. stylistics

stylistics Well-Known Member

heading into the city on saturday. is suit supply > mysuit?

also what is the best bang for my buck if i want to spend $650 and under?

looking for a classic look, navy, dark blue or charcoal gray.

thank you.

10. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Haven't read through the 70 pages, but one questions: Is there any sleeve allowance on their suits?
    I need to size down because of shoulders, but at the cost of sleeve length (normally 25.5, the sizing I'm going to has 24.5'' sleeves)

11. chaney1

chaney1 Well-Known Member

Anyone know how slim the shirts are or the extra slim? Usually wear tm lewin slim fit and fit great. Would that compare to the slim or extra slim? About 175 6'3 long athletic build

12. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

Generally, suit supply slim fit = TM Lewin Tailored Fit, so I would say they're a bit slimmer than the normal TM Lewin slim fits.

13. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I don't know how to figure how much is available to let out, but here is a picture of an SS jacket that has not had the cuffs touched.

[​IMG]
    (I also can't get this picture right side up no matter what I try)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  14. stylistics

stylistics Well-Known Member

i went today and bought a suit. im usually a 44R, but since im a bigger guy and weight train often, i had to get a 46R

is that normal for this place? the 44R was very tight on me. the 46 felt much better and with alterations it should look good...

15. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

That's perfectly normal.

16. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

Yes, you can add an additional inch

17. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

actually from mine I was able to add an inch and a half from my Napoli's if that helps..

18. dreamspace

dreamspace Senior member

Thanks, looks like I'm going for a SS Peak lapel tux then.

19. flashkobalt

flashkobalt Senior member

Got my Washington plain blue suit last week and am extremely pleased. Had considered getting my usual 40R, but having read that the Washington was rather slim, decided to get a 42R.

Customer service was outstanding. 42R was not available online, however I was told to simply order in a different size, and forward the request to change to customer service. My suit arrived in 6 days (Australia), and included a large suit-shaped box, with a return sticker inside for UPS shipping back to the Netherlands should I not be pleased.

I've essentially purchased all my clothing online since about 2003-2004, and this is easily one of, if not the best customer service I've come across.

As for as the quality of the suit goes, I'm probably not the right person to ask, as I don't own anything high end. Having said that, I'm not really sure what I would be willing to pay a lot more for. The fabric seems of high quality, and has a lovely hand, the cut is spot on (trousers need hemming, possibly slight tapering), and when compared to my previous Hugo Boss and Calvin Klein suits, SS seems to be several leagues higher.

Anyway, I think my point is made, but I am very close to buying another suit and the tuxedo - this from someone who might need to wear suit a few times each year - simply because I'm so pleased with the product and the service.

20. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Let's see that Washingon Flash !