1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I hear ya man.

FWIW, I work in corporate banking in Louisville. Louisville is an old school, old money town. The client-facing person closest to me in age is 50 (I am 33). I have come to learn from the old fogeys that in my neck of the woods it doesn't matter what you wear - as long as you are not a peacock and meet minimum standards, it is what you say and your actions that get deals done, win clients, and makes you successful. The patriarch of our group, the guy with the biggest portfolio, wears tan or grey slacks with a navy blazer and 80s striped tie every single day. And he wears two-tone black-brown loafers. He's said to me numerous times that he has never won nor lost a deal because of how he's dressed.

If a certain article of clothing or nit like a ticket pocket makes you self-conscious and not confident, then don't buy it. But if it makes you feel better, more confident, then go for it. If I'm seeing a manufacturer who will be wearing khaki's and a polo then I wear a more subdued outfit. If I'm just in the office taking care of administrative stuff then I may rock a poofier pocket square or more interesting mix of patterns. There is no black and white. Everything is relative to your situation and environment

2. Feta

Feta Member

Sv: Suitsupply NYC

AThanks for the replies, will definitely feel comfortable with the ticket pocket.

How about SS double monks classic line? I'm definitely on a shopping spree right now.

3. quuz

quuz Senior member

How is the Havana in terms of sizing? Im usually a 44/46, 180cm and 67kg. Should I go with the 44 or the 46? Im really into the green one

4. Firefox

Firefox Senior member

+1!

IMO, this philosophy can be applied to many discussions on StyleForum. FWIW, probably life in general too. [​IMG]

5. Hotel Guy

Hotel Guy Senior member

Have to disagree. As long as you don't look like a clown, I highly doubt you are looked at as stuck-up by wearing nice clothes that you want to wear. Be yourself, dress the way you want to, and dont worry about what other people may or may not think about what kind of pockets or lapels you have on your jacket. Just as many people might think the opposite (independent, not a follower, secure, etc.).

For what its worth, I work in private equity real estate so I get where you are coming from with your conservative, although out-dated, unwritten office rules. I do agree though that its best to have been there for a little while or be a little further in your career so you are not the kid on day one out of undergrad rolling up in a pinstriped double breasted suit with pink tie and silk pocket square.

6. filterq

filterq Well-Known Member

So much is in how you wear things.

Whatever you are putting on that has a bit of flair: if you own it, you will look powerful, if you are trying to pull it off, you look weak and like a poser. Wear what you love, love wearing it, and people will love it ion you (unless you look like Krusty the Clown).

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  7. knezz

knezz Senior member

I must be looking at the wrong site as there isn't much there. I couldn't imagine the store having less but what do I know :satisfied:

Thanks for both responses.

8. CousinDonuts

I count 72 suits on the website. That's more than you'll find at Macy's.

But, I have noticed that when something is gone, it doesn't come back. Might just be part of their merchandising strategy.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  9. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

I have a pair in brown and they are splendid for the price. However, if I had to do it all over again I'd spend a little extra and buy a pair of double monks from Allan Edmonds or To Book New York. For $300 though they are worth every penny I just feel I'd rather buy shoes from a dedicated shoe brand.

10. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Does anyone have the roma fit suit.. looking at the measurements it looks very identitical to the Napoli in the shoulders and length wise but softer shoulders and patch pockets..Is the fit the same? Are the armholes higher as well?

11. CousinDonuts

^ the Roma shoulders look like the Sienna to me.

12. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

Yea I know same soft shoulder.. but when I look at the measurements it looks like it has the same size of the Napoli.. hey thats fine for me.. I would be able to get my regular size without sizing up due to my really broad shoulders.. I just wonder if it has higher armholes and the fit in general for anyone who has purchased the Roma before..

13. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

Has anyone been to the Suitsupply store in Frankfurt? My father is heading back to the motherland for a week and was thinking of maybe getting a dress shirt or something. Are the prices better in Europe? (price isn't an issue, just curious)

14. timotune

timotune Senior member

Frankfurt store is not open yet.

15. CousinDonuts

This is a 38R Havana fit jacket that has not been touched by a tailor. I feel like the shorter length means I could wear it more casually, perhaps with jeans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  16. Feta

Feta Member

Sv: Suitsupply NYC

AYou could definetly were that with jeans.

How durable is the oxblood brogue in rain /snow like weather? It seem to have a big rubber sole.

17. kischi

kischi Senior member

Cross-post form The Tailor's Thread: This light grey suit and the blue coat came in last week from Suit Supply. No alterations yet. What do you think - keep or return? Sorry for crappy pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

That looks great- keep them! I have that same overcoat-- did you find the arm widths larger than their typical stuff? I thought that was odd.

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree that a shorter length really helps to wear a jacket with jeans, but that jacket is too small for you. It's too tight and something about the top button looks really off. Like you need a L in this particular jacket instead of a R.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  20. timotune

timotune Senior member

Keep! That DB is super-sweet! Is the fabric more flanelly or worsted? Might want to buy this model but don't want a winter only suit.