1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. q6312

q6312 Member

Judging by your photos, I will go for the 36R because the 38R looks big. Thanks for the help!

2. Uunottaja

Uunottaja Senior member

^ Just aim for the right shoulder width, the rest will most likely need some fixing anyway.

3. Uunottaja

Uunottaja Senior member

I will actually be visiting the New York store in early June, and was wondering if they make the alterations really quickly there, and has anyone had sleeves shortened? As I will be returning to Finland after that visit, I was wondering if I should order the stuff straight into my home there (cheaper prices in Europe) or take the benefit of them making alterations for me for what seems like a cheap price in New York? I have about 9 days there, in your experiences have they been quicker than that?

Thanks.

4. Birks and Grey Socks

Birks and Grey Socks Senior member

The New York store can turn around most alterations including sleeves in about 1-2 hours. Alterations cost about half what I would expect from any competent tailor. Plus they have the benefit of tailoring nothing but their own suits for 8 hours a day, repetition breeds familiarity

To another poster, I notice I have to size up about 1/2 a size in SS compared to most north american brands in Napoli/Roma fit, and 1 size in Washington fit. Mostly to clear the shoulders and chest.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. Uunottaja

Uunottaja Senior member

Thanks, this was a helpful answer.

6. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

So I received my suit from Suit Supply this evening. I purchased the gray suit Napoli cut in a 46L. Overall I'll say it's pretty decent. I own a couple of name brand suits like my Zegna's and Canali's. The suits feel is comparable at least to me. The fit is pretty good but there are a couple things I am going to need to work on.

Pro's
    Pretty High Armhole: As high as my Zegna Milano cut. it fits really nice under my arm pit without feeling to restrictive.

Nice natural shoulder's: The shoulders are done pretty well that provides a nice clean look. I especially love the roped shoulder for the sleeve head. I believe it is a matter of preference and I prefer roped shoulders. The shoulders fit me perfectly as well as in the chest.

Pants: I was worried that the pants would be a problem because they are finished but they fit nicely for me. I'm not a cuff guy so thats not a problem. I don't even have to hem them. They fall naturally on my shoe with a very little break. It measured across at the leg opening at 9" which is how wide I naturally keep my pant openings anyways.

Good Fabric: It feels nice and luxurious. The suit itself feels very light. I had it on and barely felt it. it felt good.

Nice Slim Fit: I have a 9 inch drop so this really helped. 46 inch chest and 37 inch waist. So scratch that I may have to take the pants in by an inch and a half.

Con's.
    Sleeve Length: Thats what really killed me. I am taking it to my tailor's tomorrow to see if it can be rectified. I need at least a 1.25" on each sleeve. There are surgeons cuff's which might sour things. I'll find out tomorrow.

Waist: I will have to let it out maybe by less than a quarter in the upper waist side. Just a little tight.. but that is an easy remedy.

Pitch Issues: I do have some slight pitch issues on the sleeves. No dimpling or anything but there are pitch issues. I am not too worried though because I have yet to find a suit off the rack where I did not have pitch issues save for my suit I purchased in college. Its not horribly but when you have a discerning eye you notice the small things. However I am not too worried about that either.

Overall:
    Way better quality wise than the price indicates. I have purchased Calvin Klein Collection and a couple of brooks brothers suits that don't feel this good on the first try on. I'm just perturbed at the sleeve length because everything else is fixable but that. Well hopefully it is. Ill keep you posted. I hope this helps for now!

7. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

and one last nice tid bit.. it measures 3.75" inches at its widest lapel wise

8. mackmittonz

mackmittonz Well-Known Member

FYI - According to one of the employees at Suit Supply NYC, Suit Supply plans to open a store in Georgetown near the Four Seasons off M St. in May time frame.

9. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

@chocsosa - perhaps on the sleeves you can have your tailor add a 5th buttonhole so that the distance from the end to the button isn't too far.

10. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

@ Cousin Donuts, Im not worried about the fifth button hole. My tailor can take care of that. I'm hoping however that he can lengthen the sleeve atleast an inch and a quarter being that they are working button holes.. Ill find out today at lunch. Apart from that its a beautiful looking suit.. I love the drape too!

11. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

Really want to get to NYC so I can visit the store. Need a navy suit.

12. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

I bought two London suits - one navy and one medium gray - no pics yet bc the sleeves are being let out by a tailor. I have to say, while I don't have much experience with suits, the suits I purchased at suit supply seem vastly superior to the Boss Black Passolini suit I nearly went with before my visit to ss.

Next buys from Suit supply will be a charcoal Washington cut (higher button stance than the London but I think I can get used to it) and a lighter than navy blazer.

13. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

yea I'm having the same done as well.. the pants fit me perfect on the Napoli fit without having to hem or do anything (they came hemmed already anyways)..post your pics when you get them. Would love to see the fit pics of yours

14. So(cal)Steezy

So(cal)Steezy Member

I really like the brown napoli they have online right now. What do you guys think of brown in a business context? I only own a blue suit so far as I just started my collection. Would I regret buying a brown suit before a grey one? Versatile? I know blue and grey are the staples, but I think I'd look more distinct/handsome in brown quite honestly.

15. zero neck

Seems to me that it would depend on what kind of business, but brown works. However, you'll probably get a good deal more use out of a charcoal or a medium gray suit.

That said, if you can pull off a brown suit, you'll be fine either way.

16. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

Brown is a wonderful suit color for all people with appropriate complexion and hair color wearing suits most days and having 6+ of them in their wardrobe. If you are working in a very conservative environment (law, finance) it can be a problem even if it is not expressed openly. A brown suit will also be better remembered what can be an issue if you have only two suits and have to wear it frequently. And last but not least there are fewer successful color combinations with shirt and tie in relation to grey. Not an issue if you like wearing blue shirts and ties though.

That said, I have two brown summer suits of my own, a plain dark brown and a light brown with light blue pinstripes. :) Both are Suitsupply Sienna cuts btw and I love them.

1 person likes this.
  17. zero neck

Has anyone purchased a suitsupply blazer in half wool half cotton or other blends? Curious how they feel/what the construction is like. I have in mind the Washington cut, something in Navy or slightly lighter than Navy for business casual/casual wearing.

Thanks

18. wishiwasricher

wishiwasricher Senior member

Can someone confirm which of their suit styles is the slimmest? Is washington the slimmest followed by roma? And can anyone confirm some of the sizing? I am a size 38 so was trying to figure out if their sizings runs true (i notice some of the posters said that the sizing may differ from suit to suit)

Im tempted to purchase a solid blue suit and i cant try it oun so will have to check the sizing carefully before i buy,

19. zero neck

20. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

just received my Siena wool-linen blend today. My first suitsupply order and I must say I´m pretty impressed. I don't know how it stands up to Canali, Corneliani and the like, but it feels sfar superior to Boss, Lindeberg, Z.Zegna etc. And at a much more competitive price (sans discount). It's pretty slim, but not skinny fit.

I need to hem the pants and have them taken in a cm or two in the waist, but that is more or less it I think. Even the sleeves with the dreaded working button holes fit. I posted a couple of poor bathroom shots below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bought a (european) 46. I ´m 6ft and weigh around 155 lbs. I bought a few ties too, that were a bit hit and miss, but ok. I'm really tempted to order one of the navy linen sports coats in the near future..