Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Epicurus

Epicurus Member

Just to confirm - do you take a 38R in the Lazio as well? I'm quite interested in ordering the Hudson blue plain jacket (and possibly the Hudson blue suit) from the website, but I'd like to have a bit of confidence in the sizing.

2. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

I don't really understand all the fuss about working cuffs... Any decent tailor, that can be called a tailor and by this I mean the ones that REALLY cut suits, is more than capable of shortening sleeves from the shoulders!
    It's pricier, yes, but aren't working cuffs so much nicer and to many a sign of a "better" suit?

3. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

Quote: I think if you have them do the alteration and they mess it up they would exchange it for a new one or let you return it, but you can ask them first to make sure. they took back an entire suit after alterations because the senior sales associate in the Shanghai store thought that a different size would look better. He wasn’t there when I first tried it on, but was there when I was trying it after alterations. But like I said you should email them to make sure and get it in writing just in case. as for the patten lining up, you could mention it to them, when I wanted to rotate the sleeve on one of my jackets with a plaid pattern, the tailor advised against it because the pattern wouldn’t match up so they seem to be aware of it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014

4. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

£299

My measurements I entered into the Suitsupply size advisor are...

Height 71.5"
    Chest 41"
    Upper Waist 41"
    Lower Waist 40"

I'm almost always 42r anywhere I shop and Suitsupply has proven to be the same for me.

5. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

Correct. I own two Washingtons in 38R, one Havana in 38R, and a Lazio in 38R as well. For more reference, both Napoli and York fit me in a 36R but the sleeves are obviously too short. The 38R in those same fits are too loose in the chest which makes sense considering they are more accessible/generous cuts. I would agree the Hudson is the casual version of the Lazio and if I were to go the MTO route I would totally base it off the Hudson if I could, minus the patch breast pocket.

6. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

There is one tailor (actually a taylor group) who charges from £12.50 up to £30 "depending on the detail" which is decent price.

Did your sleeves end up like this? It is a Washington jacket and I had to shorten the sleeves by 2 inches (I think). He charged £35 and he was a certified tailor.
    [​IMG]

7. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

If the guy was really a tailor, ditch him and get a real one, that cuts suits and is capable of altering conveniently your clothes. Another question is; communication. Tell your tailor EXACTLY what you want and the outcome you expect. Don't expect that a simple "can you shorten my sleeves?", results in an outcome different from what you had, which is horrendous...

8. atoms

atoms Senior member

For what it's worth, I do minor alterations myself such as shortening sleeves at the cuff and taking in sides. I've shortened 3 suit supply jacket sleeves by nearly 3/4 of an inch and there is nothing that SS does to make it any more difficult than others.

9. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

Not at all, I didn't have to get it shortened by that much though.

Shortening more than 3/4 of an inch from the sleeve is a bad idea on suits with working cuffs, though you could probably get away with shortening it by an inch.

Not sure how much I had this shortened, probably less than 1/2 an inch:

[​IMG]

10. Dingusberry

Dingusberry Senior member

What should I tell the tailor? That was my first attempt of shortening the sleeves of a jacket and. I guess it is hard to make it look decent when you have to shorten the sleeves with 2 inches.

11. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

You should have told the tailor you wanted the "end" of the sleeve untouched, keeping the distance between the buttons and the sleeve end. If he's good, he'd tell that to do so he would need to work from the shoulder and inform you that it would also take longer and be a bit more expensive... You didn't ask, he was lazy and did what was simpler and you ended up with a messed up jacket...

12. NickInTO

NickInTO Senior member

This is a x-post from the Tailors thread. I just picked up my first SuSu suit - a 38L Napoli. I'm a tough fit OTR (6'2, ~150lbs, 6'8" arm span). I'm not sure this cut is the best for me, but I'm more concerned about the back of the jacket - looks messy with bunching near the arms. I'm not sure going with their in-house tailoring was the best idea. Any suggestions for ways it can be fixed?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

You shouldnt tell him anything, you shouldnt buy a jacket with working buttonholes when you need 2 inches out.

edit: I mean, unless you really feel like paying a fortune to have a competent tailor take it out at the shoulder

14. patliean1

patliean1 Senior member

^^^^^^^^This. Even on non-working button holes it's going to look disproportionate if the tailor doesn't shorten from the shoulder.

15. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

??for most nonworking buttonholes in wool fabric, taking out the fake buttonhole stitching and button leaves no visible marks behind. Cotton is a different story. Shouldn't need to shorten from shoulder for the majority of sleeves with nonworking buttonholes.