Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. StephenB

StephenB Senior member

Bro, those are trousers, not Jeggings.

2. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Trousers look tight..

3. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Has anyone noticed that there are two nearly identical blue Lazio suits in the collection right now ? I wonder if there is any difference....it looks like the same cloth and colour

4. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

You can't really tell. They always dress their models in a size too short and too tight. The fit of the Mercer appears to be similar to the Havana.

5. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Color looks a little different on my screen. The asian model is a little blue-er.

The one with the model not wearing a cardigan is for sale in the US and it just arrived at my house. I went home for lunch and took a look. Definitely blue-er than the navy, but not a bright summer blue. I like it.

6. mbaltazar

mbaltazar Senior member

Is it from me, or the suit is extremely short and tight?

7. alkydrinker

alkydrinker Well-Known Member

HAVANA REVIEW

I ordered a Havana sport coat in the brown plaid. My chest measures 42" and I am 6'2". The 42L (my usual size) was too tight and pulling. Going up to the 44L, the fit was really nice. The measurements on the SS website corresponded exactly to the how I measured the jackets - the 44L chest is 23" across.

The cloth is quite nice and I really like the light construction of the Havana. I am pretty traditional when it comes to fit, and I must say the tailoring style here is really sharp, something about the silhouette and lines are just sexy on this jacket. However, the buttoning point is a bit too high...it doesn't completely kill the look and I guess is in fashion for now, but lowering the buttons down to a classic buttoning point would have made the jacket really amazing.

The unfortunate DEAL BREAKER making me return the jacket is the FUNCTIONAL SLEEVE BUTTONS. The description of the jacket didn't note this, but now I see that the general description of the Havana cut does. The sleeves were 27.5" and I need 25.5". Suit Supply offers to take up the sleeves at the shoulder for $75, but (1) I hesitate to perform this type of major surgery for fear something something would not come out quite right, and then I'd have almost $500 into a mangled sport coat and (2) the horizontal portion of the plaid pattern currently matches on the body and sleeve, I doubt it would after the alteration.

I feel like there is a general consensus that functional buttons on RTW jackets is a bad idea....I don't know why SS would insist on having this feature.

Service was excellent and returns extremely easy. I was surprised how quick they ship, and will ship from their Netherlands warehouse with 3 day shipping to the US.

If I could magically get this jacket with a lowered buttoning point and no functional sleeve buttons, it would definitely be my end-all-be-all favorite sport coat.

8. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Fur future reference: all SS jackets have functional cuffs, I believe their coats have them too

9. alkydrinker

^^^ Should there be a petition or something to get them to stop? I can't read through this entire thread, but is this feature not infuriating to others as well?

10. SamF

SamF Well-Known Member

Yeah it's frustrating. I need the sleeve altered on mine due to a dropped shoulder, luckily the difference is small enough that the alteration can be done without the space between the buttons and the cuff being too odd, but it'd be simpler for everyone if the buttons weren't functional. Suppose it's just a prestige thing: i.e. because bespoke clothes have working cuffs, that somehow having working cuffs on a RTW piece is indicative of quality.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

11. alkydrinker

Yeah I'm sure that this is the idea though it is very poor logic. Google will show you a million discussions on this exact issue, and I feel like it is has become pretty well established among people who know menswear that working cuffs on RTW really makes no sense and shouldn't be done.

On my plaid Havana, I wonder if the Suit Supply tailor would have said he/she could make the plaid match while shortening the sleeves at shoulder.

12. MrNestor

MrNestor Senior member

13. MrNestor

MrNestor Senior member

Which one is the best for a guy with not that many SC's at the moment?

14. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

They do look fantastic indeed.

What is more interesting is how the same cut looks so different on two different people based on individual body types, take a look at the shoulders!

My Hudson fits me like the one on the Asian model, I think it's because of sloped shoulders.

EDIT: In my opinion the one the Asian model is wearing seems more versatile, due to the the larger amount of navy. However, they are very similar, so I'd say just go for which you prefer.

15. MrNestor

MrNestor Senior member

Wow, you're right. One of them looks like it's a roped shoulder somehow.

I think the orange tones is nice and all, but to me I think that the other one wins out in versatility.

Do you agree?