1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. 00Schneider

00Schneider Senior Member

Did anyone here ever had a SS chino altered? If so, is there enough extra fabric to have them widened one size (specifically at the buttocks). Or alternatively chinos that are too wide altered one size down?

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Nope. I work at a top investment bank in London, and have many friends across the street in all departments. No one wears ties. Not DCM/ECM, not M&A, and certainly not S&T. Lawyers don't wear ties either when they come in to discuss certain specifics without clients present. Again, the only time people wear ties is when meeting certain clients at a more professional occasion (not at bars/restaurants) and a couple of MDs/group heads wear them more frequently. Walk around the city/canary wharf and count the number I'm of ties. Won't be many.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

3. svinsvin

svinsvin Active Member

I work in IBD of an investment bank and almost everyone, even us analysts, wear ties everyday. Sounds odd that no one in London do so, when it's regarded the most formal city with regard to dress code in Europe.

4. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Distinguished Member

5. Monkeyface

It's odd, but that's the way it is. This is my theory about it: I suppose wearing a suit and tie became an identifier of being a banker/lawyer/big corporate post crisis, something that could get you in trouble in some parts of London, or while commuting. Hell, I've been yelled at for wearing a t-shirt with a corporate logo when I was volunteering. I don't think people understand I hadn't even graduated high school when the crisis happened. Anyway, then came the London riots, and many people were told not to wear suits at all or work from home. The business casual dress code became more important after that, I suppose in order to fit in more. However, no one is going to buy an all new wardrobe, so people just ditched the tie, which has become new standard now.

6. Jeroen Vriend

Jeroen Vriend Senior Member

I would size down one. It is possible in both ways.

7. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior Member

+1 on this request if anyone is able

8. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Distinguished Member

On the US site, there are 7 different "Havana Blue Plain" jackets. which one?

9. Ironballs

Ironballs Senior Member

Was in a SuitSupply store this week, if this is the one you're talking about, it's a medium-blue. Lighter than navy, but not a light blue colour.

10. Aieyric

Aieyric Senior Member

Its getting darker here but in "natural" light
    [​IMG]

and under electric light
    [​IMG]

I personally think its better than navy.

11. V1KTA222

V1KTA222 Senior Member

Whoops didn't read close enough. For me, I meant the blue plain in York.

Thanks aieyric for the pics of the Havana.

12. MrNestor

MrNestor Senior Member

That last pic from Aiyeric is spot on.

Speaking of jackets I'd love some advice. Would you buy the Jort Navy (wool and cashmere) which has a lot nicer stuff like full canvas, more stuff done by hand and lower buttoning stance which I like since I'm 6 feet 2 inches (187), or should I go for the new Havana navy in 100% cashmere, it looks so soft and cozy though...

Advice?

13. Monkeyface

Fit is more important. The havana's high buttoning point is not very flattering for taller guys.

14. Spex

Spex Senior Member

Yes, that was the one I meant (sorry, I could have been more specific). I saw someone wearing a jacket that I suspect is the same type of colour and I liked how it was somewhat different than navy, but didn't come off as particularly flashy or business inappropriate. I'll definitely try to check it out in person. Is anyone of the opinion that it wouldn't serve the same purpose as the standard navy blazer? Just as versatile?

15. svinsvin

svinsvin Active Member

@Monkeyface : The question was supposed to be asked in here in the extension of our talk about CBD/business casual. Apologies if I confused you.

I was just wondering how a Neapolitan suit with patch pockets would be received in London (e.g. Havana).

Edit: with 4,5" lapels, what is the app. shoulders width of the suit coats you're sporting then?