• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hype1234

Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up again, but can someone with a sienna actually measure the lapel at widest point and LMK (black line in the pic).Thank you!

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Yeah, the triple patch, the bigger check and the light brown buttons help, but ideally the check would've been bolder. It's a bit of an odd combination for a 3 piece though. If I were to purchase that suit, I would swap out the buttons for a very dark brown horn.

Do you think it'd be easy to get away with wearing the full suit in a fairly conservative business environment?

As of now I don't really need to worry about this, but I'm thinking of the future too (I've at least 4 years before I start working in the real world, as I am starting Uni this year).

EDIT: Just ordered it, should be here in 2 business days, though I'm not entirely sure how the fit will compare to my Washington. So there's a good chance I may return it.

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think it'd be easy to get away with wearing the full suit in a fairly conservative business environment?

As of now I don't really need to worry about this, but I'm thinking of the future too (I've at least 4 years before I start working in the real world, as I am starting Uni this year).

In London? Nope, not a chance. Solid navy blue, charcoal and mid grey is where it's at. No DB, no peak lapels, no vests, no triple patch pockets, no light buttons, (sadly) no neckties, no big patterns (or any pattern, depending on the environment), and of course, only black cap toe oxfords.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though, if it's still four years off. Four years ago I didn't even know where I was going to work or what I was going to do, and I certainly didn't think I'd end up in one of the most conservative sectors in one of the most conservative cities.

Live a little, wear what you want to wear, and when the time comes you can sell your old stuff and buy more office appropriate clothing.

When you're at uni, more countrified clothes might be a little more appropriate/fun, since you won't get a chance to wear those much afterwards. Think tweed suits or jackets with crazy patterns, OCBDs and a wool or knit tie, heavy flannels with two tone boots in winter, or lighter linen in summer. I hardly every wore a navy business suit at uni. Loud and fun stuff is where it's at. They also tend to sell at higher discounts and can be found cheaper at thrift stores, because most people can't wear those to the office, which comes in handy when you're living on a student's budget.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions on which fabric color would be better for a consulting firm interview?

Antra Plain: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits/napoli-antra-plain/P2525I.html
Grey Faux-Uni: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...=color&prefn3=lineID&prefv2=Grey&prefv1=Plain

I would personally get the Grey Faux Uni.

I'm not overly thrilled with the fall suits. Many are cool, but I can't wear them where I work. Agree that many would be better as jackets, or those super patterned ones to be worn at Pitti but not standard issue offices. I hope the full collection has a few more basics. I also wish they didn't jack up the price with a vest, let me choose if I want it or if I want to pay less without it.

Last edited:

AzDoc

Reaction score
Had a quick question for you guys, I bought a Napoli suit a few weeks and had to have the waist taken in about an inch or 2 on the pants. I picked it up and took it home and now the waist is slightly too tight. I can button the pants, but they need to be let out slightly to really fit comfortably. The seat and legs of the pants fit fine now. So my question is basically, once pants have been taken in, is the excess material usually still available on the pants to let them out again? I won't be able to make it back to the store for a week or so because of a busy schedule and I'm just curious about what to expect. Thanks.

Ironballs

Reaction score
@Monkeyface , no neckties? People walk around with a suit and an open shirt?

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Monkeyface
, no neckties? People walk around with a suit and an open shirt?

Yep, nearly everywhere. You won't spot too many ties in the city, and hardly any in Canary Wharf, which are the two main business centres. I'd say the only ones wearing it regularly are real estate agents, but they're mostly gaudy and bad quality.

Most offices have been business casual for at least a decade now, and the trend is going downward. Business casual in London is basically business formal without a tie. The most common look is a plain navy suit, a white double cuffed shirt with silver cufflinks, and black cap toe oxfords. Only the people at the very top wear ties, but no pocket squares. At some companies it's seen as a sort of right that you can only earn through seniority. Show up with a tie and you'll be told to take it off.

I only wear ties in the weekends, or when meeting certain clients, but that's it. I own about 30 ties, so that means I can go 10 weeks without ever wearing the same tie twice, wearing one tie only 5 times a year.

Last edited:

Ironballs

Reaction score
My goodness. What sector does wear ties? Law? Police detectives in civilian uniforms?

svinsvin

Reaction score
Yep, nearly everywhere. You won't spot too many ties in the city, and hardly any in Canary Wharf, which are the two main business centres. I'd say the only ones wearing it regularly are real estate agents, but they're mostly gaudy and bad quality.

Most offices have been business casual for at least a decade now, and the trend is going downward. Business casual in London is basically business formal without a tie. The most common look is a plain navy suit, a white double cuffed shirt with silver cufflinks, and black cap toe oxfords. Only the people at the very top wear ties, but no pocket squares. At some companies it's seen as a sort of right that you can only earn through seniority. Show up with a tie and you'll be told to take it off.

I only wear ties in the weekends, or when meeting certain clients, but that's it. I own about 30 ties, so that means I can go 10 weeks without ever wearing the same tie twice, wearing one tie only 5 times a year.
May I ask what industry you're in? Just of curiosity.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawyers wear ties when meeting clients, as do some consultants. I'm in finance.

I wear ties in the weekends because I enjoy wearing them. Mostly knit ties or textured ones. It doesn't look out of place at all when going to brunch or dinner at a nice restaurant, taking a stroll in the park, or going for drinks at an upscale cocktail bar/speakeasy. I'm certainly not the only one, and in the nicer areas people tend to be better dressed during the weekends than during the week.

Spex

Reaction score
Hey guys, two questions here:

1. Does anyone have the Havana "blue plain" (not navy) and can post a pick? I like the fact that it's not super dark, however I'm wondering if it screams "bright blue"

2. I was just looking at the shirt measurement chart and the sleeve lengths don't make any sense to me. Their diagram illustrates the usual way of measuring starting from the bottom/centre of the collar, but somehow the lengths come up way shorter than I'd expect. With their measurements these would all be short sleeves on me!

Thanks.

svinsvin

Reaction score
Lawyers wear ties when meeting clients, as do some consultants. I'm in finance.

I wear ties in the weekends because I enjoy wearing them. Mostly knit ties or textured ones. It doesn't look out of place at all when going to brunch or dinner at a nice restaurant, taking a stroll in the park, or going for drinks at an upscale cocktail bar/speakeasy. I'm certainly not the only one, and in the nicer areas people tend to be better dressed during the weekends than during the week.
Many lawyers wear ties at their desks as well, so do mgmt. consultants. Not to forget investment bankers (M&A, ECM, DCM), whom are some of the most formally dressed. Many bankers such as those in sales & trading also wear ties when meeting clients, and often at their desks as well.

This is atleast the case in my city, and London is unarguably more formal. For instance, brown shoes are (stupidly) still not accepted in investment banking in London, whereas it's perfectly fine in the rest of Europe.

svinsvin

Reaction score
Hey guys, two questions here:

1. Does anyone have the Havana "blue plain" (not navy) and can post a pick? I like the fact that it's not super dark, however I'm wondering if it screams "bright blue"

2. I was just looking at the shirt measurement chart and the sleeve lengths don't make any sense to me. Their diagram illustrates the usual way of measuring starting from the bottom/centre of the collar, but somehow the lengths come up way shorter than I'd expect. With their measurements these would all be short sleeves on me!

Thanks.
It's only the sleeve length. This is taken from a country where centimeters is the standard.

For some reason, they haven't corrected the image for the countries going my inches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads