1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

Remember the Suit Supply London-Style suit?
    [​IMG]

This is the Sienna-Style, same size:
    [​IMG]

Some details:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

Am really searching for an excuse to go to NYC to get measured in store so I can buy online.

3. ville_e

ville_e Senior member

I'm interested to know what are your favourite suits from the Suit Supply spring/summer 2012 collection?

4. cuponoodles

cuponoodles Senior member

Went in a couple of weeks ago (the NYC store, which is blowing up around the city) and found the two sales associates I interacted with extremely helpful. They were smart, knew their product, and were able to offer some recommendations. I didn't buy anything, but I definitely plan on going back to get my new suit for the upcoming wedding season blitz. Actually, on my advice, a friend of mine went there to buy a suit and said it was both the most pleasant buying experience he has had in addition to the best fitting suit he's ever owned.

Another, often overlooked aspect for those close to an in-store location (or visiting NYC) is that their tailoring options are legendarily quick and very, very affordable (they quoted me around $30 - $40 to shorten a jacket, which runs around $90 - $100 at my usual place in Manhattan).

In terms of their non-suit items, I'm not a fan of the extreme cutaway collar shirts that they proffer, but many of their shoes appeared to be of high quality (I'm no shoe expert, though).

Highly recommended. All they need now are some double-breasted suits and I'm set.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

strangelove, both those suits look really nice on you

6. zero neck

zero neck Well-Known Member

@Stranglove - was the selection good?

I'm going on Friday to look for a navy suit. Pretty sure I need a classic fit so i've been looking at Napoli and Sienna on the website.

7. DrStrangelove

DrStrangelove Well-Known Member

@robinson: thank you

@zero neck: I don't consider the Napoli to be a classic fit. The higher buttoning point makes it look weird (on me).
    The real classic fit is the London. But the Sienna comes pretty close - even though it has hacking pockets and a ticket pocket.
    And I really like the Washington fit, but due to its slightly higher buttoning point and high drop it is unwearable for people without a perfectly flat abdomen.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  8. zero neck

^Thanks, I'll have to check those out.

Just checked on their website and the button does look a little high on the Washington. I assume they don't alter their button placements?

9. asdf

asdf Senior member

I just ordered and received one of the Napoli suits and am, at first glance, very impressed. I found the 44L to fit generally true to size (ie 44L suitsupply ~= 54L canali in shoulders, chest, and length, though NOT waist). Jacket length is traditional, waist is already quite slim, and pants slim though democratic. Probably will not tailor the jacket at all, maybe very slight sleeve adjustments.

Also, the fast/free shipping and inclusive duty/tax was nice.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  10. Prof. B. Bear

Prof. B. Bear Senior member

What's the button stance like on the Roma range?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  11. MrInvariant

MrInvariant Senior member

How is the armhole height on these things?
    Is the armhole lower than average, average, or higher than average?

12. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Slightly higher. Modern.
    Edit: see my post below.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  13. CousinDonuts

Slightly higher. Modern.

14. chaney1

chaney1 Well-Known Member

Do they have a larger selection of fabrics in store then on there website? Looking to pick something up in the "lazio" fit but dont have a big selection in color. I emailed customer service and they said that this was the next slimmest from the "washington"

15. zero neck

Got two london style suits yesterday at suitsupply nyc. Medium gray and navy. Really impressed with the quality - nice selection of suits in alot of sizes and cuts. I know where im getting my next one.

16. CousinDonuts

I just bought a navy unstructured cotton blazer (Paris fit) and standard issue navy suit (Napoli fit) from Suit Supply. Both were ordered in the same size. I ordered Tuesday morning eastern standard time and the order was waiting for me when I got home from work Friday. Can't beat that turnaround. A couple of observations:

The suit is the same fit as the charcoal one I have from the F/W collection. This navy is S/S. The shoulder fit and length is the same. The button point is in the exact same spot. However, something feels different about the drape. It is a little looser in the waist and the hips flare. I will need to have my tailor make some adjustments. This one does have a little more pre-built hourglass shaping to it. Maybe that is causing the flare. To compare, I made no changes to the charcoal suit last fall. The armholes are also either slightly lower, or a little bigger. It is definitely not as snug. I just emailed the company to ask if they changed the model between seasons.

Despite being the same size, the cotton blazer was much more snug through the shoulders, chest and waist. It is shorter by about 2 inches, which is fine because I was buying it as a casual jacket to be worn with jeans. Even though it is snugger in the shoulders and chest, there is pretty easy movement of my arms because it has a natural shoulder. The jacket is a cotton/silk blend, and it has a sort of herringbone look to it, with a feel that is almost suede-like. The pick stitching is very prominent.

Overall, I'm debating whether or not to send the suit back, depending on the response from the company. I love the value for the price point, but I was hoping to get a clone of the one I already owned. I may even re-order it later and see if something different shows up.

The first pic here is the F/W charcoal, the second is the S/S navy. Am I wrong on this, or do my observations above look legit? Maybe I need to steam it and let it hang overnight and then compare? (don't comment on my shirt, I did this quickly and the sleeve length is good). Any feedback is welcome.

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. TedW

TedW Active Member

I think you have done well.

I don't think there is too much flare. In fact I think the the S/S navy sits better on you than the F/W. A good steam will help though. Well done.

Disclosure - I just picked up three suits from suitsupply today. Best fitting OTR suit I have ever bought, and less than half the price of the ones I have purchased. Will be back. If they continue to stock 36S for short-arses like me.

18. Uunottaja

Uunottaja Senior member

^^ Owning several SS products, and being a definitely a fan, I think inconsistencies in their sizing and products overall is my biggest criticism. For example, my two Napoli fit suits had quite different measurements when I got them. Another good example was that one odd jacket I got (I wear 38S) had a 38R sleeve on the other side, and a 38S sleeve on the other - now that was just lazy quality control.

19. q6312

q6312 Member

I'm very tempted to buy a solid navy suit from them, but since I'm in Canada I can't try anything on. I am thinking that the 36R will be too small for me and 38R might be slightly big. Does everyone buy their usual size or do they size up?

20. CousinDonuts

The 2 you see above are 38R. I also tried on, and returned, a 40 from suitsupply and while the shoulders would have been passable, the 38 is better overall. From what I've tried on at brooks I would get a 38 or 39. I have 2 blazers from JCrew in a 40. I own a Givenchy in a 40 but the shoulders are a touch wide. As I read in an interview with the founder, SS almost expects you to buy multiple sizes and return what doesn't fit. I took advantage of that the first time.