Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

@ SuitsHarvey Burgundy is versatile with many colors. It would be a good investment. Your solid grey suit will work with just about anything. Even green.

Last edited: May 31, 2014

2. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

I just have to get something off of my chest for a minute: how hard is it really to find a decent alteration tailor (unless one lives in a big cosmopolitan area like NYC, Boston or the likes)?

I just came back from dropping my Suit Supply tuxedo at the tailor (I checked most of those located within 45 min of my place) for hemming, sleeve shortening (½") and getting rid of a bump going over the back collar (because of posture and square shoulders).

Now, she'll gladly do the upper back alteration, and hem the pants, but she's arguing with me that hemming them with no break wouldn't look good and thus only will do a half or full break. And she finds my jacket sleeve are short enough and won't shorten them ½".

You guys experienced this?

I could've told her that I understand her usual clients ask for full break and crazy long sleeves, but I was a little uncomfortable arguing. Should I just bring her a couple pictures of what I want, next time (because there will be a next time, although she's old school, I think she's one of the most competent in my area)?

3. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Got my SS Naopli back from the tailor today and talked to him about a MTM SC. He is more a traditional guy but understands people tastes as he mentioned I like more trim styles. I have only lived in bigger cities when finding a tailor so it has never been an issue for me. I think if an independent tailor was hard to find I would ask a men's store where the best place would be. Most of the time they will know or have someone in mind. Independent tailors are probably going by the wayside so I am happy I have established a relationship with mine.

4. Spex

Spex Senior member

Interesting...I was reading a thread on another forum along these same lines. I'm assuming in these cases these tailors assume that most men don't really know what they want or what's in style and simply make their alterations based on the general populous...which is exactly what those of us on these forums do not want.

I think the key is being very confident and upfront with what you want, making it clear that you understand what you are asking for. If a tailor refuses to do what you ask, they are not really doing their job. I think they may fear that if they adjust something beyond the "norm" that the client may complain and when it comes to making a certain length shorter, it may be difficult if not impossible to undo.

5. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

I've experienced something similar. It's her right to refuse, but she's also the one potentially losing out on your business.

Just politely insist she alters them the way you want. Pictures are a good idea. It might show her it doesn't look as bad as she thinks. Even the finest tailor in the world is useless if you are not happy with the results.

6. Hammi

Hammi Member

I like that suit, but how did you get to it on the website? I searched by brand, both fall and spring, and can't find it under Lazio.

7. Bellohizzle

Bellohizzle Member

That Sienna looks amazing! :slayer::

8. sdotc

sdotc Member

How do you guys feel about SuitSupply's dress shirts? I have a couple of the multiwashed linen shirts, and I like them a lot, although I think they were a bit expensive given what they were. They also aren't dress shirts so I don't want to judge one based on the other. I'm considering this one: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/shirts/light-blue-shirt/H4249.html

I know kamakura is a favorite here, wondering if that's the better option (especially at about half the price)

Last edited: May 31, 2014

9. Filippos

Filippos Active Member

It's this one http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/l...3679.html?start=124&cgid=Suits&start=91&sz=91

I have it and it's great! But suitable only for winter. It has intense birds eye texture and feels "heavy" ... Once you look at it on a big screen you will understand. But still it's a beautiful winter "casual" suit

10. markfjh

markfjh Well-Known Member

Does anyone have inside news about when the Suitsupply store in Singapore is opening? Really looking forward to that!

11. faribeana88

faribeana88 Well-Known Member

Well I am a drop 9 with huge legs so when you buy a the SS separate and go with a 42R jacket and 40 waist pants and get them severely taken in to accomodate a 33 inch waist, the bottoms are very roomy on the Napoli.

12. Leather

Leather Senior member

If I have a 14 drop and get a 40R jacket, would it be possible to tailor the pants small enough in the waist?

13. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

14 drop? [​IMG]

14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

That would probably require paying a hefty alterations bill. You best bet is mtm.

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The trousers will need to be recut, which is quite expensive. MTM is the only way to get such a drop.