• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ SuitsHarvey Burgundy is versatile with many colors. It would be a good investment. Your solid grey suit will work with just about anything. Even green.

Last edited:

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just have to get something off of my chest for a minute: how hard is it really to find a decent alteration tailor (unless one lives in a big cosmopolitan area like NYC, Boston or the likes)?

I just came back from dropping my Suit Supply tuxedo at the tailor (I checked most of those located within 45 min of my place) for hemming, sleeve shortening (½") and getting rid of a bump going over the back collar (because of posture and square shoulders).

Now, she'll gladly do the upper back alteration, and hem the pants, but she's arguing with me that hemming them with no break wouldn't look good and thus only will do a half or full break. And she finds my jacket sleeve are short enough and won't shorten them ½".

You guys experienced this?

I could've told her that I understand her usual clients ask for full break and crazy long sleeves, but I was a little uncomfortable arguing. Should I just bring her a couple pictures of what I want, next time (because there will be a next time, although she's old school, I think she's one of the most competent in my area)?

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my SS Naopli back from the tailor today and talked to him about a MTM SC. He is more a traditional guy but understands people tastes as he mentioned I like more trim styles. I have only lived in bigger cities when finding a tailor so it has never been an issue for me. I think if an independent tailor was hard to find I would ask a men's store where the best place would be. Most of the time they will know or have someone in mind. Independent tailors are probably going by the wayside so I am happy I have established a relationship with mine.

Spex

Reaction score
Now, she'll gladly do the upper back alteration, and hem the pants, but she's arguing with me that hemming them with no break wouldn't look good and thus only will do a half or full break. And she finds my jacket sleeve are short enough and won't shorten them ½".

Interesting...I was reading a thread on another forum along these same lines. I'm assuming in these cases these tailors assume that most men don't really know what they want or what's in style and simply make their alterations based on the general populous...which is exactly what those of us on these forums do not want.

I think the key is being very confident and upfront with what you want, making it clear that you understand what you are asking for. If a tailor refuses to do what you ask, they are not really doing their job. I think they may fear that if they adjust something beyond the "norm" that the client may complain and when it comes to making a certain length shorter, it may be difficult if not impossible to undo.

MacGuffen

Reaction score

I could've told her that I understand her usual clients ask for full break and crazy long sleeves, but I was a little uncomfortable arguing. Should I just bring her a couple pictures of what I want, next time (because there will be a next time, although she's old school, I think she's one of the most competent in my area)?

I've experienced something similar. It's her right to refuse, but she's also the one potentially losing out on your business.

Just politely insist she alters them the way you want. Pictures are a good idea. It might show her it doesn't look as bad as she thinks. Even the finest tailor in the world is useless if you are not happy with the results.

Hammi

Reaction score
What tie color do you recommend on this suit I'm planning to buy?

http://statics.suitsupply.com/image...Eye_Lazio_P3679_Suitsupply_Online_Store_5.jpg

I'd be thankful if you name every color that could go with it. Navy Blue is already a safe option, but beside Navy Blue I don't know any other combination. Maybe Burgundy or Red?
I like that suit, but how did you get to it on the website? I searched by brand, both fall and spring, and can't find it under Lazio.

sdotc

Reaction score
How do you guys feel about SuitSupply's dress shirts? I have a couple of the multiwashed linen shirts, and I like them a lot, although I think they were a bit expensive given what they were. They also aren't dress shirts so I don't want to judge one based on the other. I'm considering this one: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/shirts/light-blue-shirt/H4249.html

I know kamakura is a favorite here, wondering if that's the better option (especially at about half the price)

Last edited:

Filippos

Reaction score

markfjh

Reaction score
Does anyone have inside news about when the Suitsupply store in Singapore is opening? Really looking forward to that!

faribeana88

Reaction score
Wait, you want them to taper the pants even more than they already are? SS pants already have a very narrow leg opening.

Well I am a drop 9 with huge legs so when you buy a the SS separate and go with a 42R jacket and 40 waist pants and get them severely taken in to accomodate a 33 inch waist, the bottoms are very roomy on the Napoli.

Leather

Reaction score
If I have a 14 drop and get a 40R jacket, would it be possible to tailor the pants small enough in the waist?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
14 drop?
crazy.gif

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I have a 14 drop and get a 40R jacket, would it be possible to tailor the pants small enough in the waist?

That would probably require paying a hefty alterations bill. You best bet is mtm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads