• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

se4n

Reaction score
Shoulders and waist/button tension look good. The button position is a little high, but that comes with the territory. Sleeves maybe .25" long. Is this is the new Havana Blue Plain in VBC wool? I've been wondering how dark the blue is...
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, this is the new blue plain. I was worried it would be too light of a blue, but it's on the darker side and not as bright as the picture online. It has a nice texture to it. This is my first SS jacket and I do like it. My concern with size is that it might be a bit big. It feels like, at a minimum, it could use some waist suppression and the sleeves shortened. Based on the measurements provided on their website, I thought it might fit a little closer across across the chest. This is a 42R. I'm 6'1'', 180lbs, 42" chest with a 33" waist. My shoulders are on the broad side, so I find it hard to fit my shoulders/chest without it being too boxy. I'm wondering if a 40R might be a little better.

MrNestor

Reaction score
Today I've worn the Soho DB sportcoat in the blue wool-linen mix the first time to the office. I've gotten 5 different nautical comments incl. the captain of the love boat plus one weirdo who asked where I've parked my airplane.

Jacket ist unaltered in EU 48 at 1.76m and 70kg.

It looks stunning! Your co-workers seems like jerks, you're rocking it.

I was about to order the same, but when I clicked payment they were out of my size... So I ordered the wool/mohair Madison DB suit instead but I don't like that quite as much so I'll return that one.
Thank you for showing me the Soho DB!

mbishop

Reaction score

I don't mean to parachute into the thread but after reading through posts on the Napoli I can't tell if it runs big in general or just compared to other SS lines?  

I'm 6'2" 185.  Typically I buy 42L (18.5-19" shoulder) and have it taken in.  I'm curious if anyone has thoughts on whether I should size down to the 40L?   I emailed them for the shoulder measurement but I'm interested in what experiences have been here.  Thanks.  

Check the size advisor. Ignore the advice it gives you, but all the dimensions for each fit are in there. It sounds like we are very close to the same size... I haven't tried the Napoli, because based on the dimensions, it won't work for me.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Today I've worn the Soho DB sportcoat in the blue wool-linen mix the first time to the office. I've gotten 5 different nautical comments incl. the captain of the love boat plus one weirdo who asked where I've parked my airplane.

I get the same when I wear a double breasted jacket, just have to roll with it.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I had 2 coffin boxes sitting on my deck. I ordered the same blue that se4n got, plus the wool-linen jacket that someone else posted pictures of about 75 posts ago.

Here is a picture of the blue next to the navy version. As se4n said, it is not as bright blue as on the website.

Here is the close up of the texture. It is a bit of a rough texture to the touch. This may sound weird, but it almost has the touch sort of like a canvas or nylon jacket.

Each jacket is the same size, but they did not fit the same. Shoulders and length were identical. But the plain blue was 1/2" wider across the chest, 1/4" wider across the waist (top button), and 3/8" longer in the sleeves.

- - -
Blue plain: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-blue-plain/C756.html?start=2&cgid=Jackets
Wool-linen: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-blue-plain/C755.html?start=10&cgid=Jackets

Last edited:

se4n

Reaction score
Yesterday I had 2 coffin boxes sitting on my deck. I ordered the same blue that se4n got, plus the wool-linen jacket that someone else posted pictures of about 75 posts ago.

Here is a picture of the blue next to the navy version. As se4n said, it is not as bright blue as on the website.

Here is the close up of the texture. It is a bit of a rough texture to the touch. This may sound weird, but it almost has the touch sort of like a canvas or nylon jacket.

Each jacket is the same size, but they did not fit the same. Shoulders and length were identical. But the plain blue was 1/2" wider across the chest, 1/4" wider across the waist (top button), and 3/8" longer in the sleeves.

- - -
Blue plain: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-blue-plain/C756.html?start=2&cgid=Jackets
Wool-linen: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-blue-plain/C755.html?start=10&cgid=Jackets
Interesting to see your comment on the size of the plain blue. According to the measurements on the website, I expected the blue plain to fit almost perfectly in a 42R, but it felt bigger that it should. I ordered a 40R to see how it fits, but I'm afraid it may be too tight.

MrNestor

Reaction score
I have a fit-question for you guys. The problem is if I should keep this size and shorten the sleeves a tad and maybe trim the armwidth OR order the shorter size (regular) and lengthen the sleeves (if possible). Please tell me what you think.

The first one is the Blue plain Havana in 100% wool size 38L (94). My only 'issue' with it is that at first sight in my small mirror I thought it was too long.

The second one is the jacket from the Virgin Wool/Mohair Madison suit, I think I'll return this and get the Soho DB linen-mix instead. Also a 38L (94), what do you think?

Please excuse the semi-****** quality.

Thanks in advance.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just got the blue plain. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a cheap navy unlined SC for Spring. I'm not crazy about the cloth, it is like a very low quality hopsack that feels like duck canvas. Not sure if I will be keeping it.

ScottMC

Reaction score
I just got the blue plain. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a cheap navy unlined SC for Spring. I'm not crazy about the cloth, it is like a very low quality hopsack that feels like duck canvas. Not sure if I will be keeping it.

Isn't it supposed to be VBC cloth? I was very close to ordering the same jacket, but am hearing talks of very rough texture. Do you feel that the cloth is unworthy of carrying the VBC designation?

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
VBC is the mill...that's doesn't mean that everything from them is of the highest quality. If the cloth is from VBC, then of course it will be labeled as such. That said, the cloth used for the Havana Blue Plain is not the greatest...my opinion.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VBC is the mill...that's doesn't mean that everything from them is of the highest quality. If the cloth is from VBC, then of course it will be labeled as such. That said, the cloth used for the Havana Blue Plain is not the greatest...my opinion.

It definitely feels cheaper to me too because of the texture. I like to see texture, not feel it, if it isn't a F/W jacket. I've never owned a hopsack, so I can't compare, but I literally thought "I wonder if this is supposed to be like hopsack." I was expecting it to have the same feel as the navy.

gratedwasabi

Reaction score
Somewhat better photos despite lacking any ideal light. What do you guys think about the fit? Starting to waffle a bit on how I like it.

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Somewhat better photos despite lacking any ideal light. What do you guys think about the fit? Starting to waffle a bit on how I like it.
The front looks ok but it seems that the back isn't really fitting. You have very strong wrinkling between the shoulders. Someone else will have to explain WHY that happens.

After your input I've exchanged the Napoli for Lazio. Rather happy about the fit, was a good hint. I've got the blue birdseye and the brown faux-uni, still wish there was something in navy without any pattern in wool.

Shirt is SuitSupply, too. It's the 79€-level shirt in Extra Slim Fit (which was less slim than hoped).

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ahh, the hopsack weave. I have a very similar 3r2, same fabric by VBC but made by boggi. this fabric doesn't wrinkle easily.

cuponoodles

Reaction score
It's all a bit too tight, the buttoning point is very high, and the lapels are too slim. Those things are personal taste, so that's ok, but know that the overly skinny look is going to look dated very quickly.

What's not ok is the way the sleeves drape, and the wrinkles in the chest and the lower back area. The suit makes you look a lot heavier than you are. This might be resolved by letting out the jacket, but I'd still be worried about the chest area. The wrinkles in the sleeve might be caused by the sleeve pitch being off, so I'd ask them to take a look at that as well.

Sadly, MTM is only as good as the person taking the measurements. I would not be satisfied with a result like that, but I'm glad you like it.
I actually disagree. For one, I don't think the lapels are at all too slim, nor do I think the jacket too short for your frame. The slightly shorter jacket is still very much in the "acceptable" range, and it has the added benefit of lengthening your bottom half (exactly what a shorter jacket is supposed to do), which lengthens you visually. The slightly smaller lapel also necessarily complements your small point-to-point shoulders - I actually think it works.

I agree with you that there is pulling at the midsection, and I don't disagree with the hemming of the trousers. You can also ask about the sleeve pitch (I'd be interested to see what they think), although I think that is a viciously overwrought term in use in these forums. People seem to forget that fabric is supposed to move with you, and you are standing straight with your arms straight at your sides probably less than 1% of the time you're actually wearing the suit - the obsession people have with perfect fit when they're not spending the money for it is hilarious. But again, having said all that, there's probably something correctable in there somewhere if you insist.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads