• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

freddych

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm buying some suits for an upcoming internship in a law firm (not very conservative, but requires a professional appearance all the same). I've had the chance to visit one of the stores here in Europe, and I've decided to get a York style suit in blue, which fit rather well. I'm hesitating about my other choices…I know the Napoli is very popular here, but I wasn't a fan of the high button position (as a matter of interest, which suits have the lowest buttoning positions?).

I've been thinking about a Washington in dark grey with a light stripe as seen here — http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_IE/suit...refn1=styleFit&prefv1=Contemporary-Washington. What do people think?

Ugh... what law firm is this? The only law firm i know of that is business full time was Cravath.

Andolin

Reaction score
It's a European law firm, we tend to be a bit more conservative this side of the pond it seems…

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jackets/havana-brown-plain/C549.html Has anyone ordered this wool jacket (if so, could you please post real life photos)?
Me measurements are: 5'10 height 38" chest 32" waist (belly button level) 24.5" shoulder to wrist Should I go for a 38R? Thanks in advance.
Might want to consider a 38R, 38L, and 40R.
So I couldn't resist and finally splurged on a Navy La Spalla.
I absolutely love the fabric as well as the details in the stitching and shoulders. I am going to bring it in for tailoring but wanted to get some feedback on the overall fit. Here are my observations: Sleeves too long, pants too long and pants need to be taken in. One thought I had was that it may be a tad on the short side but unsure if its a deal killer. Another thing I noticed is that the left lapel sits awkward due do the 3rd button hole. Is this something to be expected in a 2.5 button suit? The suit is size 38 regular and I am 5'9" 165 lbs with a medium to slim build. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated
Might be the picture angle, but looks like the right shoulder has more prominent roping than the left. Does it cover your arse?

Last edited:

MrNestor

Reaction score
Been a longtime lurker here and finally this is my first post.

I have a sizing question, well more advice I guess.
The following measurements will be EU since I'm from Sweden.

I'm 187 cm (6'1 I think) and 75 kg, so on the weak and small side.

I ordered a Havana jacket in 94 (48L) since a 48R is way too short in the sleeves. I also ordered a Madison suit in 94.
The problem is I think they are too long, 78 cm. Ofcourse that length isn't too long in any sense of the word since it covers my behind just perfectly but I can't help but prefer slightly shorter jackets.

What would you do, try to alter the length a few cm's or search for another brand since the 48R is a no-go because of the 2-3 cm too short sleeves?

Thanks in advance.

What's the perfect length for you guys?

Last edited:

jjzara

Reaction score
You're already 6'2", if you wear your jacket chopped at the tail, and you're on the thin side, you're going to look like you're 6'6" and 150 lbs. It's been said before, but this trend is eventually going to end, so if you want a suit that's gonna last you more than a couple years, you have to make sure you LITERALLY have your ass covered.

I am a full 2 inches shorter than you and most of my jackets measure 77-78 cm, some even more than that.
Hey guys. I finally have my suit.

Here is the link to what the final product looks like and my review of it.

http://www.somethingbespoke.com/suitsupply-mtm-3/

The suit is REALLY tight pretty much everywhere. The quarters on the front-side should stay fully closed when the jacket is buttoned and there shouldn't be any pulling on the back as well. Also, in my opinion, you definitely should have gone with wider lapels (if only for the fact that the lapel "roll" on a full-canvas suit is a beautiful thing, and with skinny lapels a detail like this is unnoticeable). I agree with Monkeyface on the fact that the sum of these issues make you look much heavier than you are.

I'm not sure what they can do about the sleeves, but they should be able to let out the jacket's waist and chest pretty easily. Are alterations on MTM orders included in the price of the suit?

Last edited:

Andolin

Reaction score
Another question actually: it seems very few people here seem to be taking the small sizes, but this is what was recommended to me on site and in the shop (a 40S to be precise). Does this tend to be too short (perhaps not in SuitSupply terms, but in the real world). I'd be about 6 foot tall, with 45.5 inch chest, 41 inch upper waist and 44.5 inch lower waist.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another question actually: it seems very few people here seem to be taking the small sizes, but this is what was recommended to me on site and in the shop (a 40S to be precise). Does this tend to be too short (perhaps not in SuitSupply terms, but in the real world). I'd be about 6 foot tall, with 45.5 inch chest, 41 inch upper waist and 44.5 inch lower waist.

Don't go with a short if you're over 6 foot. A regular will already be on the short side.

TimNguyen

Reaction score
You're already 6'2", if you wear your jacket chopped at the tail, and you're on the thin side, you're going to look like you're 6'6" and 150 lbs. It's been said before, but this trend is eventually going to end, so if you want a suit that's gonna last you more than a couple years, you have to make sure you LITERALLY have your ass covered.

I am a full 2 inches shorter than you and most of my jackets measure 77-78 cm, some even more than that.

The suit is REALLY tight pretty much everywhere. The quarters on the front-side should stay fully closed when the jacket is buttoned and there shouldn't be any pulling on the back as well. Also, in my opinion, you definitely should have gone with wider lapels (if only for the fact that the lapel "roll" on a full-canvas suit is a beautiful thing, and with skinny lapels a detail like this is unnoticeable). I agree with Monkeyface on the fact that the sum of these issues make you look much heavier than you are.

I'm not sure what they can do about the sleeves, but they should be able to let out the jacket's waist and chest pretty easily. Are alterations on MTM orders included in the price of the suit?
Yeah the alterations are included on MTM orders so I am taking it back today to have all the changes made. I think if there was an option to get 3" or 3.25" lapels it would be perfect because the full 3.5" seems a bit much for my body.

So lets make a list of the things I need to have addressed so I dont forget later:

- let out the waist
- fix sleeve pitch
- hem slightly shorter

Anything I am missing?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess. Always worth checking, though, if some SF uber-geek has taken pictures of hundreds of swatches somewhere. Thanks anyway. :)

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah the alterations are included on MTM orders so I am taking it back today to have all the changes made. I think if there was an option to get 3" or 3.25" lapels it would be perfect because the full 3.5" seems a bit much for my body. 

So lets make a list of the things I need to have addressed so I dont forget later:

- let out the waist 
- fix sleeve pitch
- hem slightly shorter

Anything I am missing? 

Chest and lower back area, the vents don't lay nicely as well. Have them put cuffs on your trousers while you're at it. When it comes to lapels, look up the bntailor Instagram account. Those guys rock pretty wide lapels an it looks great on them.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nice hanger upgrade from SS...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads