Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

That Lazio is a winner , Choc.

2. kulata

kulata Senior member

They look great! I would totally ignore the wrinkles on the Washington. I think if pitch issues exist then you should find them near the armhole but in this case I can't find anything and I'd attribute the wrinkles to you folding your arms. Both have a slight lapel bow but TBH I'd ignore it coz sizing up may throw every other area off.

Last edited: May 15, 2014

3. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

yea its what I thought.. the S.A's liked the washington on me better.. but I get a feeling that the Washington is a favorite among the S.A's..there was a very slight gaping at the chest of the lapels..but the fit was the best Ive had of any SS off the rack..so I copped it..the washington would have taken more work..(sleeve rotations, some nip and tucks here and there).. the Lazio was the better fit and choice..

4. notsobad

notsobad Member

Thanks for the reply, CousinDonuts! Yes, I rolled them just to see how they'd look with a cleaner leg line. I quite like the cuffed pants look, would it be okay for me to ask the tailor hem the pants with a cuff or should I just go for a regular hem?

edit: Like I mentioned in my initial post, I was very surprised by the pants length. I'm 6' 1" and didn't expect there to be some much extra fabric in the pants.

Last edited: May 15, 2014

5. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Basically any cut will have tighter shoulders, check the size advisor. My first thought is the Lazio, I wish they had more basics in that style. Maybe in the winter.

6. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

Yes, I've received a Lazio in one size bigger today. Needs slight shortening of the sleeves and the pants need to be a wee bit tighter in the waistband but overall fit is better, will bring it to the talor later today. Will exchange the Napoli for another Lazio.
    I second the comment about the fabrics though. I've opted for blue birdseye and now trying to make up my mind what other color I want/need, but I'd wish there was an option for the faux-uni or something in a dark blue uni.

I've also bought the dark-blue Soho jacket in wool-linen mix... now where to get my yacht and captain's hat?!

Last edited: May 16, 2014

7. Ironballs

Ironballs Senior member

I had to have my Napoli trousers let out in the thighs, tailor reckoned there's about 2-3 cm in total. Mine were so tight the creases disappeared, after letting out they were visible again, but my legs still look like carrots in them. It's a weird fit given how wide it's in the shoulders and chest. It's a suit for those who skip leg day!

8. baton69

baton69 New Member

Hi guys,

Just received my first SS suit - a Sienna in size 40L. I think it looks ok, but there are some things that I would like your comments on.

Jacket: The back has a lot of wrinkles. Is this due to the side vents being closed? (I don't want to open them up in case I want to return it.) There are also some diagonal lines around my arm pit that can be seen from the front - what causes this? I'm happy with the sleeves and the shoulders though. I would maybe like to shorten the sleeves just a tad.

Pants: They are too tight in the seat and perhaps in the upper thighs? But especially the seat and waist are too tight. Can they be easily let out? Sizing up would make the jacket too large imo. They are also too long obviously but that's easily fixed.

Any other comments? Thanks!

Pics: (please ignore the crumpled shirt - the trousers were too tight for me to put it in nicely.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The new Jort collection isn't bad at all. Lots of staple/conservative fabrics.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

You're better off returning that one. The trousers are way too tight everywhere, and the back of the jacket looks terrible. Unfortunately, no amount of tailoring is really going to fix that. The Sienna is one if Suitsupply's bigger cuts, so it might not be the right brand for you.

11. kulata

kulata Senior member

Try sizing up

12. TimNguyen

TimNguyen Well-Known Member

I am quite excited to pick up my MTM suit today. Its been about 6 weeks or so.

13. faribeana88

faribeana88 Well-Known Member

@baton69 I ran into the same problem with SS suits...I had to end up going for the Napoli separate option in-store. You are in a predicament where you need to probably size down in the jacket but size up in the pants. For me I had to take a 42 jacket napoli that normally comes with a 36 waist pant and subbed the pants out for a 40 due to massive squat induced thighs and seat. They were able to take it in enough to not be terrible, but I had to settle on MTM for future suits due to my Drop 9 situation. Try looking at MTM from them because the suits are nice but for this one in question, you MUST return it, there is no saving the back issues with that jacket.

14. baton69

baton69 New Member

Thanks guys. Took it to my tailor who said the same things basically. He said that the wrinkles in the back could be solved by either sizing up or letting it out a bit, but the shoulders were a problem because they had no padding and didn't follow my shoulders naturally. The pants were a no go. So I'm returning it.

I have no store close by (live in Sweden) so MTM unfortunately is not an option for me. Are there any fits you think would work better? I guess a more narrow fit in the jacket but in a larger size could work? Either that or a larger fit overall in the same size. The separates are fine, but I would like to have more options than a charcoal pinstripe... The new Jort looks great, how does that fit?

15. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Looking forward to seeing the result! Hope the suit will come in before summer.