Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I really like the colour of that jacket but have been put off by the button stance on the Havana jackets but looks alright there in your pics

2. Hordie

Hordie Member

It's still about half an inch too high for my taste, but shoulders, chest and even length are all right so I'll live with the button stance. I wished they had a more classic sports coat with a lower stance, a bit longer, no patch pockets and a more padded shoulder, though.

I think the problems with the Havana are exaggerated by Suitsupply's sizing anyway. If I would wear an undersized jacket like the models, button stance and length would be much worse. I wear an 48 with other jackets, but I need a 50 in Havana, even at 70 kg bodyweight. I was afraid to move in the 48.

3. Filippos

Filippos Active Member

Has to be said : after purchasing a ton of SS stuff, not just suits, but also trousers, shirts, shoes, shirts or little crap like belts, sunglasses, pocket squares, iPhone sleeve etc., I only get the best compliments. I mean noticeably the best.

Congratulations Mr. Fokke! You 've ruined my bank account. But that was worthy. Nobody has respected my little money that much.

4. RFX35

RFX35 Member

I talked to a sales associate from SuitSupply about it recently and he said that they viewed the U.S. outlet as a flop. He said it was mainly because they had a plethora of returns but personally, I attribute that to the fact that many people were expecting champagne on a beer budget. Additionally, while there was a fair selection, a lot of the suits were older (circa 2008) so the fit was not to many people's liking. However, at the end of the day, they were still able to get rid of excess stock and make money in the process so it was a success in that regard.Similar to you, I wish I would have purchased more but if there is another one, I won't make the same mistake.

I'll be heading to the brick and mortar tomorrow in an attempt to purchase the Lazio Grey Check 3-piece and perhaps a MTM sportcoat. I'm interested to see the available options and price points for the latter so I'll post back with my findings if there is any interest.

5. ScottMC

ScottMC Senior member

Here is a Napoli I snagged on eBay. I thought it looked pretty good. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2014

6. Celadon

Celadon Senior member

There is something seriously wrong with the measurements for the Havana. Look at size 24, which equals 38S in UK/US sizes. (Sorry for the image quality, I couldn't get it any clearer or larger.)

The question is whether this size has the only fucked-up measurements, or if info for other sizes are equally unreliable (but perhaps more subtly so).

[​IMG]

7. notsobad

notsobad Member

Suit fit is spot on. Suede loafers are really out of place imo

8. sherlocksmycrof

sherlocksmycrof Well-Known Member

9. facet

facet Senior member

I think that's supposed to be right, though. Iirc, someone wrote that 24 is equal to 38s in euro sizing (ie, you take the regular size and halve it for the equivalent in short). Edit: oops, took a closer look at the picture and I see what you mean now.

Last edited: May 11, 2014

10. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

I have a linen Lazio that I wear separately. The brown buttons help:
    [​IMG]
    It is actually a 3-piece:
    [​IMG]

11. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Looks great coldsalmon. I've been toying with the idea of buying a linen suit and wearing the jacket as a sports coat. Do you feel it works? From what I've seen from styleforum, people seem to recommend against it, but i don't see how people could tell the difference anyway.

12. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

13. Alex72

Alex72 Active Member

^^ Can you add some real pics.

14. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Thanks MacGuffen. I think it works, but what do I know?

There have been some threads in the past about "blazersuits." I'm not sure how well my suit works (certainly not a blazer), but at least it gets the buttons right. From Manton's original thread: "Horn makes the coat wearable as part of a suit. Brown makes it wearable as an odd jacket."

Here's the original BlazerSuit thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/71198/the-amazing-blazer-suit

There have also been many discussions of glen plaid as appropriate/inappropriate for odd jackets. The size of the checks makes a difference, according to the SF goons. See, for example, the discussion starting here: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309586/whnay-s-good-taste-thread/5265#post_6091557

Last edited: May 12, 2014

15. roncfp

roncfp Member

I have both and the London is a bit slimmer in the shoulders. I fit perfectly in both as 40R so the sizing between the models is consistent.