Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mbishop

mbishop Active Member

Most of which will need to be returned. When the size advisor recommends an actual jacket measurement that is smaller than your chest, some might see that as a warning sign.

2. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Yeah that size advisor thingie is all kind of messed up, im 6ft with a 38 inch chest and its telling me to get a 34R.

3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Would anyone be interested in buying this Friday challenge winning wool/silk/linen Washington Half jacket in 40R from me? I love the jacket, but sadly it is starting to become a bit too small in the chest. Just a heads up before I put it on ebay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2014

4. JayH

JayH Senior member

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any IRL shots?

5. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

6. jjzara

jjzara Member

From the measurements you provided, I am virtually the exact same size as you, except a half inch taller.

You will need to return all the 34s and 36s which aren't a York or a Napoli (haven't tried the La Spalla though, so that may work, but the 36 Havana definitely won't), because they simply won't fit in the chest and the waist.

I find that the 36R York fits me best, as the shoulders are spot-on, whereas the Napoli, which is practically identical in the chest and waist, is considerably more broad-shouldered, and looked quite boxy, but obviously your results may vary depending on your shoulder-to-shoulder measurement (I don't have particularly muscular shoulders - 17.5"). The 38R Washington fit alright, although ideally it would have to be a tad looser around the waist, while the 38R Havana could have been roomier in the chest (I had a very hard time closing the 36R jacket).

On another note, I wouldn't describe the York as a "British-inspired" suit; the shoulders are only very lightly padded and the button stance is just slightly lower than their other models (I actually think it looks much better). Generally it just doesn't look "structured" enough to look like a suit inspired by British tailoring, and as an Italian I mean this in the best possible way.

Also, the Super 110s worsted on the Napoli is from Vitale Barberis Canonico, so pretty much la crème de la crème. Sure it's not luxurious, but if you wear your suits to work it's actually much more convenient to wear something a bit more resistant than a Super 150s silk-mohair blend, and I can assure you it feels incredibly soft. Just my $0.02.

7. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

I own the Navy Napoli and I go back and forth on it. I currently love it, but you will see posts farther back in this thread in which I wish I had gone for the darker, true navy of the London. I think that the lighter navy of the Napoli, verging on blue, has a harder time working with brighter colors, and works best with grey/black/silver ties. That said, I do think it looks great with these more neutral ties. Here are some pics of the navy Napoli:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Dashaansafin

Macgueffen, did you find out which suit you went with? Im a near perfect fit in a Lazio (size 36) and only needed to get the trousers hemmed and tapered. Debating agains the Napoli because I have broader shoulders (for my frame) and my previous navy suit had unsightly shoulder pads. Please let me know!

9. Dashaansafin

Thank you for the feedback! I like your suit, I am leaning towards the darker shade of blue as well, the York? Disappointing its sold out in size 36 on the website...cant believe they only have 2 choices of solid navy suits. How do you feel about the shoulders on the Napoli vs the York? (Assuming you have tried on the York).

10. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Thanks for the compliment, Dashaansafin. I have not actually tried the York. The Napoli runs large in the shoulders, check the size advisor. I think the Napoli 34 actually has broader shoulders than the Lazio 36, or nearly so.

Regarding the dearth of navy, Suitsupply is weird like that. They do not even sell a navy blazer, at least not in this season's collection.

11. Dashaansafin

Probably will have to pass on the Napoli. My shoulders just wont fit...

Looking at the York, since we are both 36 in the Lazio, would you recommend sizing down for the York (they only have size 34 available). The measurements are about the same, less than 1".

York:
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...refn3=color&prefv2=Spring/Summer&prefv1=Plain

Lazio:
    http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...fn4=styleFit&prefv2=Spring/Summer&prefv1=Blue

12. mbishop

mbishop Active Member

I think you've already eliminated it at this point, but I just wanted to add that I have the London, and it is probably the least suitsupply-ish of suitsupply suits. That's actually what I like about it, but it's probably not what you're looking for. With the Napoli, I would have to size down so far to fit the shoulders properly that basically nothing else would fit.

13. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

how are the trousers on London/ York? the rest, from what I've seen or read in this thread... seem to have issues... like the slim but no taper issue mentioned above.

14. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Hi there. I ended up with the York plain blue because I wanted a staple navy suit, and the Napoli plain blue was pretty far from that. I've never tried the Napoli navy in person though. The York also felt less restrictive when moving around. The lower button stance is also nice, but I can't say it's very noticeable. I'm pretty happy with it, but I sometimes wish it was slightly more blue, but true navy is almost black.

For what it's worth, the size advisor was correct with the York (46). For the Napoli, it recommends 44, and what I'm wearing I the pictures is a 46. It definitely has broader shoulders than the York. I'm thinking of buying a charcoal suit, so when the time comes, I'll get both 44 and 46 to compare.

15. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Many thanks TF - very interesting pics; have to agree with you on fit. Was curious though how you think, quality and feature wise, Spalla compares to some of your other suits.

Last edited: May 6, 2014