• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm ignoring the jacket to note that such an aggressive spread/cutaway collar doesn't look good on you here; the strong, almost horizontal line conflicts with your relatively thin/trim form and doesn't look harmonious. The jacket's trim cut exaggerates it in an unpleasing way.

You bring up a valid point about pairing peak lapels with a cutaway shirt. I was actually at SS on Saturday looking for a cutaway white shirt to match the peak lapel Washington suit for my wedding. After discovering SS doesn't even carry a cutaway shirt in white I then realized with my peak lapels, it might be a better idea to keep the rest of my wedding attire much more subtle and understated. This includes my dress shirt.

I ended up with with a semi-spread collar and they gladly darted the shirt for $8 bucks. True, a peak lapel suit isn't exactly the classic choice of suit to get married in however it was a personal decision :)

BTW, I know I promised to upload pics of my two Washington suits however I decided to go back and have both suit jackets taken in at the side seams. Once I get the jackets back I will for sure upload pics.

Cheers

jaymac10

Reaction score

Can anyone comment on the fit of the suit trousers in the napoli cut through the thigh and seat. Would they be able to accomadate larger thighs? How do they compare to BB Regent fit trousers?

Hi Robstrongo,

While I cannot comment on a comparison between the SS and a BB's, I have 2 Sienna's and 3 Napoli's all 42R and will try to comment.

I too have larger thigh's from playing sports and mountain biking. I'm 5.10' and currently at my max weight of 200lb's (too much eathing and drinking this summer...). My perfect weight should probably be about 185lbs. My waist for jeans is a 34. But for dress pants and/or a 42R suit waist is a 36 which fits perfectly. And at 200lbs I am sporting a bigger beer belly than I should :(

I was originally concerned about the tight fit of these suits when I ordered online having never tried one on first! But I can tell you that the pants are not too tight. While they are certainly slimmer than my North American cut suits, these SS suits have not been a problem. Plus, over time, they will stretch out a bit.

I can tell you though, that I have a grey Napoli and a Blue pin strip Napoli. The grey suit is a bit tighter than the blue suit! So even within the same cuts, there are some minor differences.

I believe the grey suit was made in 2009 where the blue suit was made in 2011 so that's probably why...

My two Sienna's suits feel slightly more roomy than my Napoli's do in the pants/thigh area.

It certainly is a different "feeling" suit than what I'm used to, but the slimmer more modern cut was was I was looking for as I still have five of my more traditional cut suits!

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Jay

danilo

Reaction score
Posting this from another thread I posted in,

I visited the Suit Supply in NY a couple of days ago as I have a friend that works retail in SoHo that had stopped by and really liked their suits. One of the guys there was gracious enough to spend some time explain some of the fits for me and sized me up on their jackets, bringing the Napoli, Sienna, and Washington... the Washington and Sienna fit me pretty good off the rack. I have broad shoulders so they both had a softer shoulder which is more flattering for my build I think. The Washington was the slimmest fitting all around... I thought it was very nice. I thought the quality seemed good for the price, but I don't have much frame of reference as I don't have any 'nice' suits. They have some nice patterns and fabrics, with gorgeous colors.

I'll definitely be buying one or two soon...

ItSuit

Reaction score
I am a little confused i am new to this, MTM/BESPOKE

How does SuitSupply and MySuit, work do you order the suit and get it tailored? Is the tailoring part of the purchase price of the suit, or is it extra? How does MTM them differ from OTC, as you can get OTC tailored as well.

In my mind i interpret MySuit and Suitsupply as you buy the suit and they customize to your measurement and the its part of the cost of buying the suit.

Can someone explain this to me. Blue line tailoring. The way I am interpeting this is, that you can choose your own suit and design for $494 and have it tailored all for $494. Or is it suppose to be interpreted as you buy a suit and its an extra $494 to get it tailored?

http://www.suitsupply.com/blue-line...ng-blue-line-personal-tailoring,en_US,pg.html

Thanks.

bluesman528

Reaction score

Can someone explain this to me. Blue line tailoring. The way  I am interpeting this is, that you can choose your own suit and design for $494 and have it tailored all for $494. Or is it suppose to be interpreted as you buy a suit and its an extra $494 to get it tailored?  

http://www.suitsupply.com/blue-line...ng-blue-line-personal-tailoring,en_US,pg.html

I do not know MySuit but I can clarify the things for Suitsupply.

What they call Blue Line Personal Tailoring is in fact a Made-To-Order suit in a given cut and a given size with a chosen fabric (of fairly standard S110's from Vitale Barberis Canonico) where there will be some tailoring in the factory after production (!) based on a few measurements taken from you (fewer than 10, I think) at the time of ordering. It's half-canvassed (as their RTW program), it's cheap but it's in no way a real MTM service. I would not recommend it.

Their Suitsupply Red Line Personal Tailoring is their MTM program, based on a size and a cut that the customer can choose from several available. Many details are changeable (posture (-> shoulder line), sleeve pitch, button stance and many more) as documented changes to the base size. These measured and discussed pattern changes will result in a customized pattern after which the suit is produced. This suit is fully canvassed, has real horn buttons and all the decorations and detailing of the RTW suits and you can choose your fabrics out of the excellent fabric books from Ariston Napoli. I have three suits made like this for me and I'm very pleased with them.

You won't get that for 500$, though, I think it starts at 700$ in the US and if you choose one of the more extreme fabrics (S160 etc.) you can pay more than 1000$. But for a fully canvassed MTM suit with that degree of detailing and a world class fabric from a very fine neapolitan mill I think it's a bargain anyway.

Last edited:

DennyCrane13

Reaction score
Hey,

So I just bought two suits from suitsupply. I am going to send one back. I am quite pleased with both. The first two pics are of the Washington cut. The second two pics are of the Sienna cut. I am worried about the conservativeness of the Washington lapels, being peaked. However, it fits very well off the rack. The back seem would need to be let out a little I think to relieve the back ripples.

The Sienna is wonderfully made. The soft shoulders are well done. This one needs some more waist suppression I think if I were to keep it.

Let me know what you guys think. Any other potential alterations/are mine able to be done to acheive what I want?

p.s. sorry about he one pic. I'm not sure why it loads sideways

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey,
Let me know what you guys think. Any other potential alterations/are mine able to be done to acheive what I want?

My first thought was that it looks big. Where do your shoulders end in relation to the shoulder cap of the jacket? If they are right, then yes definitely slim the waist and skirt. Maybe even the pants too. That shot from behind looks like they are big on you too. Might not hurt to try a size smaller to compare.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first thought was that it looks big. Where do your shoulders end in relation to the shoulder cap of the jacket? If they are right, then yes definitely slim the waist and skirt. Maybe even the pants too. That shot from behind looks like they are big on you too. Might not hurt to try a size smaller to compare.

This. You have a ton of extra fabric for your back. I've also never seen such a slim cut suit look so big on someone before, which leads me to believe you need to go down one size.

DennyCrane13

Reaction score

Donuts,

The shoulders seem perfect to me. My shoulder bone finishes right at the sleeve seam with my deltoid extending slightly past. That is how a shoulder is supposed to fit, correct? I tend to have this problem. I need the 44 jacket for my shoulders, but I have a 35" waist.

Do you think it is too long? I got another comment stating it is too long. I think if I go to a short jacket it will be too short.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Donuts,

The shoulders seem perfect to me. My shoulder bone finishes right at the sleeve seam with my deltoid extending slightly past. That is how a shoulder is supposed to fit, correct? I tend to have this problem. I need the 44 jacket for my shoulders, but I have a 35" waist.

Do you think it is too long? I got another comment stating it is too long. I think if I go to a short jacket it will be too short.

I'm ok with the length, but I'm not a good SF judge. As long as it isn't past your knuckles or shorter than your butt I'm ok with it.

Personally I would do 1 or both of 2 things...1) Order a smaller size and compare. You might be surprised. I have two 38Rs in the Napoli and probably could use the 39 equivalent for the shoulders, but the overall silhouette was more appealing to me in the smaller size (vs 40R) so I sacrificed just a touch of narrowness in the shoulders. 2) Take it to a tailor, ask him to pin it, and see if it would be an overbearing amount of work to the point of making it look odd.

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A downside of Suit Supply is unless you live in NYC, Chicago, or DC you don't have easy access to try on different suit cuts before you buy. This also means you don't have one of their sales reps guiding you through the tailoring process, carefully determining which aspects of your suit needs altering.

Looking your pics especially the Washington Fit it appears to be a size too big perhaps? This is strange considering how slim the Washington Cut fits most people.

I finally get my two Washington suits back 2mrw. The initial fit was great off the rack but I still had a list of alterations done:

JACKET:
-Extended jacket sleeves to the max
-Altered the neck collar (upper back) of my jacket to fix fabric rippling. The shoulders were spot on however.
-Waist Suppression, taking the waist of the jacket at the side seams. I have wide shoulders but smaller mid so I had a lot extra fabric around the waist.

TROUSERS:
-Hemmed the pant legs
-Took in the waist at three seams. I believe by taking in the waist at 3 seams (both sides and rear seam) this will prevent the crease in the middle of each pant leg from veering too far outward.

I think I spent a little under a $100 suit in alterations which is probably near the average for the amount of work done on each suit. Pics coming 2mrw.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my picture of the navy suit in the Napoli cut... forgive the lighting and the angle.. (coming up at upwards angle).. for me it was just lengthening the arms and taking in the pants and a little bit of suppression to the jacket. I might play around with the sleeves (slight pitch issues)... I had my tailor rectify this on the gray suit.. we will see but overall pretty solid..

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A downside of Suit Supply is unless you live in NYC, Chicago, or DC you don't have easy access to try on different suit cuts before you buy. This also means you don't have one of their sales reps guiding you through the tailoring process, carefully determining which aspects of your suit needs altering.

Don't forget shipping is free both ways. For the two suits I own I actually ordered an extra size each time and sent back the one I didn't want. Not as ideal as being near a store, but better than a lot of places.

roznehp

Reaction score
Hey,

So I just bought two suits from suitsupply. I am going to send one back. I am quite pleased with both. The first two pics are of the Washington cut. The second two pics are of the Sienna cut. I am worried about the conservativeness of the Washington lapels, being peaked. However, it fits very well off the rack. The back seem would need to be let out a little I think to relieve the back ripples.

The Sienna is wonderfully made. The soft shoulders are well done. This one needs some more waist suppression I think if I were to keep it.

p.s. sorry about he one pic. I'm not sure why it loads sideways

Are you wearing the pants at your waist or on your hips? As others have pointed out, the pants seem quite baggy and low for the Washington cut.

DrBenji

Reaction score
Anyone have input on how the Lazio fits? I'm 6'4" 175, and depending on the cut of the suit wear a 38L or a 40L. I'm guessing the 38L will work pretty well, but it's sort of hard to tell from people's posts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads