Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

No need for the modesty CP. Very few posters/people wear a bow as well as you do . Actually, I don't think I have ever seen it done in the wild. :slayer:

2. timotune

timotune Senior member

@steffenbp11 don't get me wrong, I like how the suit looks on you. I just didn't like it on myself, as my hips are wider than average. A high buttoning point & short jacket length does not flatter me...

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Well, there is never a danger of dipping one's tie into the soup when wearing a bow.

As a person who owns waaaayyyy too many bow ties, I must say that the Su-Su bows are excellent and attractive. The price is competitive or less expensive than bows from Brooks Bros, Paul Stuart, or J Press.

Again, your new Hudson model suit is splendid. You are ready for summer!

4. kulata

kulata Senior member

To be honest, I don't care much about buttoning stance, it's one of those forum peeves that doesn't really bother me coz for practical purposes, my jackets are worn unbuttoned most of the time. But due to my huge behind, I am a bit more particular about the length.

5. steffenbp11

No offence taken Timo. I am skinny as a reed, so lenght doesn't play a big role. And shouldn't you be catching up on your sleep ? :)

Hope you are enjoying fatherhood. Greatest thing that ever happened to me. Looking for to number two in september :)

6. steffenbp11

WIth a pregnant wife who insists on soup most days, that sounds like a good reason to gently introduce bowties into the household :)

7. timotune

timotune Senior member

Sleep? What's that? ;)
    He is pretty great so far, only waking us up 2-3 times per night. Being a father is the best feeling ever :)

8. steffenbp11

Good to hear :) remember, 6 weeks, and they are ready for the baby jogger :) no need to drop your training. My son was 6 months when he did did his first half marathon :) Unfortunately, he hates going running with dad these days...

9. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Hi guys!

I have received my Suit Supply tuxedo(s) this afternoon (BTW excellent turnaround time, I ordered from Suit Supply on Wednesday April 2nd and received my order this afternoon - Friday April 4th) and would like your input.

Now, keep in mind that I am not your average lean/fit #menswear enthusiast, therefore I am a little harder to fit, be it in office clothing or casual attire. For the record, I'm 6' and currently 245lbs and trying to lose some, with a 47" chest. I lost 23lbs since January 1st and plan on losing 10lbs more until my wedding which is planned on July 12th of this year.

This is my first order with Suit Supply, so I used both their Size Advisor and Measurement page to guide my purchase. I order the tuxedo in 46R and 48R.

This is the 48R:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, I would need to alter the trouser length, so please excuse the messy trouser cuff/bad drape. Please note that this is the only white shirt I had and not the tuxedo shirt I'll wear for the wedding, I haven't received it yet. Also note that this is the first time I'm wearing a self-tied bow tie (also from Suit Supply) so give me chance to improve!

What I think is good:

- Shoulder width seems fine, there is no (or minimal) shoulder divots, which I usually something I have problems with;
    - Sleeve pitch seems adequate from the side;
    - No collar/chest gap;
    - Quarters are closed enough that it doesn't show some shirt below the button;
    - Trousers feel great and sit at the correct height;
    - Good range of motion without the feeling of pulling;
    - Jacket is long enough (maybe 0,5" short but I can live with it).

What I'm not so sure about or I don't appreciate:

- There is some pulling between the shoulder blades and there's sometimes a crease going over the back of the lapel/collar (which I get with all of my jackets - posture related?);
    - Back looks a little bit messy (might be less apparent if the vents were let open?);
    - There are some crumpling on the sleeves in the front and upper back;
    - Jacket looks boxy (but I think this is inevitable given my proportions);
    - Trousers are a little bit tight below the seat which leads to some visual pulling (although I feel great in them);

Given that I should (there's always a possibility I won't, but chances are I will) be 10-15lbs lighter on my wedding day, the 48R should show less pulling in some places, notably under the seat (back thighs) and lower back/love handles region. I might even be able to have a tailor take the waist in a little bit, therefore diminishing the boxy appearance.

As opposed to the 46R:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although I like the fact that is looks less boxy and the shoulders look great, it is noticeably too snug almost everywhere. I'm going to return this one. Please excuse the OCBD, I didn't think of putting on a proper shirt for the tryout.

Please excuse my ugly mug and let me know what you think.

P.S.: I'm going to post a duplicate of this post in the tailor's thread to receive further comments and critics.

10. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry, haven't been in this thread in a while. Has anyone recently tried MTM? @Monkeyface mentioned a while back that they have some new options and so I'm curious what the rough price point is and what flexibility there is (e.g. patch pockets, slightly wider lapels, 3roll2). I wish they had more info (fabrics) etc. on their website

If I remember, there were two tiers for fabrics (their basics, which was a few years ago around $400 or so; and higher end, mostly interesting patterned stuff, $700 and up). I'm just talking about SCs here.

Cheers.

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Three piece suit in S130s was about e850 if I remember correctly. They switched their MtM suppliers in Holland for a very good MTM maker, but I'm not sure whether that's also in the rest of the world.

12. Unregistered

Unregistered Senior member

Just in case they read this thread, fingers crossed for more basic solid charcoal grey (maybe even 3 piece!) and navy blues for their Autumn/Winter line coming up. Especially in the Washington.

13. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

+100 I'd love to see this too. Especially more vested suits and basic colour washingtons.

14. sliq

sliq Senior member

agreed, a simple charcoal, dark brown or mid grey washington would be great! don't know why they don't have this; they have a grey washington but a touch light for my likes for CBD

15. sansimeon

sansimeon Senior member

Slightly offtopic, but do you know any other makers that suits you better? I have the same problem with bowing lapels and closed quarters. Hunching my shoulders forward makes it better, but I don't really want to sacrifice good posture to make clothes fit better..