Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Thanks.

By the way, I've seen several earlier comments with sizes like 38L (European size) or 40L. But I can't find those sizes on the European site? S and L lengths are only available for really small and large chest sizes. Did they change this as well?

2. ultramantaro

ultramantaro Senior member

Anyone knows when the San Francisco store will open? I would love to stop by.

3. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

US size 38L is size 94 in Europe, 40L is 98.

4. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

last I saw was June, I think it was a question on their recent AMA on reddit.

5. GradSchooler

GradSchooler Senior member

FTFY

Thom Browne would work. Or he could just drop the pretense and go straight to the women's suits.

Fucking short jacket trend :censored:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  6. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

:facepalm: I didn't know that! I literally thought they were huge 94 inch chest suits.

7. Danleyness

Danleyness Active Member

I think the original complaint was that the jacket was too long, but the sleeves were too short.

The short jacket trend, as long as I can get long enough sleeves, is great for me. I'm 6'6" with very long arms, but I have a very short torso, so many longer, more conservative jackets look silly on me.

8. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Anyone have real life pictures of the York plain blue?

Would it be suitable as a standard navy suit?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  9. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

Anybody knows which size of Havana cut jacket/suit will be similar as possible to Washington cut size 38L?
    Thanks in advance,

10. Danleyness

Danleyness Active Member

The same size. The salesman told me that the Havana and the Washington were very similar cuts, and a 40L of both fit me almost perfectly.

11. jjzara

jjzara Member

Mine's actually a York, I'll post pics after I get it back from the store on Wednesday.

I originally asked for a Havana and they didn't have any in store, nor were any available in plain blue online (I was hoping there were more options in store, but they actually have more stuff online), so I opted for a Napoli, but didn't quite like the colors available. The sales assistant then handed me a York in exactly the color I was looking for (a true NAVY, not blue) and I was astonished at both the quality of the wool and how well it fit me off the rack.

For reference, I am 181 cm (5'11.25") and 78.5 kg (172 lbs) and usually fit a 48 or 38R (although this is my first proper suit as I am just 22 and still in college), but the 46 (36R) York jacket fit me like a glove (slightly shorter than what traditionalists may like, but it still covered my butt entirely.) I only needed to let out the trousers' waist 1.25/1.5 inches (3 cm) and hem them. Grand total = 323 euros (450 US dollars; 275 British pounds) for the best-fitting piece of clothing I own.

As for its versatility and suitability as a standard navy suit, I think it's actually SS's best navy suit. I tried on a Napoli (I surprisingly also fit into a 46 perfectly) which is advertised as navy on the website, but is actually more blue in person, and another one which was way too dark, in my opinion. I really love the lower-buttoning stance, even though I have a long torso and shorter legs, and even though I went looking for a suit with soft(er) shoulders (I have square shoulders), I thought the light padding on the York gave me a very masculine look. So, in short, yes. I think it's very appropriate as a staple navy suit.

12. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Thanks so much jjzara, it sounds like the York is just what I'm after. By the way, what size did suit supply recommend online? I'm 180 cm and 72 kg myself, and with my measurements I'm recommended size 44, which sounds awfully small, especially the pants.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  13. jjzara

jjzara Member

It really depends on your build and your measurements. I have square but not incredibly big shoulders (17.5" or 44 cm), a wide chest (39.25" or 100 cm) and a regular 6-inch drop (so 33.25" - 85 cm waist; I usually take a 31 in trousers/jeans), so the 46 (36R) York fit me perfectly.

In this case, the online size advisor was right, as it advised me to size down from the 48/38R I usually take, but it had also advised me to take a 48 in the Napoli fit, and when I tried it on in the store it was definitely too big in the shoulders and chest (an inch or so). You sound thinner than me, and a 44 wouldn't actually be as small as you'd think, but still...

My advice is, don't rely on the size advisor too much. Get your measurements and compare them with the ones listed on SS's website if you want to get an idea of what your size might be, but the best option is still getting to a store and trying stuff on. If you simply can't, just order a couple sizes and return what doesn't fit.

14. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

2Danliness
    Quote: Great, thanks.
    Will order linen Havana jacket, or maybe full suit. Didn't decide yet.

15. IronStyle

IronStyle Well-Known Member

Went to SuitSupply SoHo to look for some casual pants that are high rise enough for me to tuck shirts in like my Polos. Caught this image after getting it tailored (which was super fast!). I walked in and found these Saturday night not too long before they closed, and had ready for me midday today when they opened. Very difficult for me to find pants with enough rise for casual styles and materials like cotton - my butt and thighs are larger because of lifting so these just needed to take the waist in enough (since the larger waist size was needed for my legs) and of course a hem.

[​IMG]

I already asked them to bring in the same pants in a different color they fit so well.