Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Indeed it is!

2. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Sweet - I know I don't need to tell you this, but you are a lucky man! :bigstar:

3. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I had a jacket made elsewhere that didn't work out. Took it to NL first to see if they could get cloth to match and make adjustments. His assistant CJ first acted like he didn't want the business, told me to come back in a few weeks as he was going on holiday. Went back, ordered a swatch to see if matching cloth could be bought. Never heard anything. Went back, asked again, swatch ordered. Weeks later called, swatch was in. (They didn't call me!) Took jacket in, match is good. Nothing happened. Went back and suggested they just make me a new jacket. But now they've lost the swatch. And since then, allegedly, cloth is no longer for sale. NL himself was vaguely aware of all this, came over and I filled him in on the story, he took all my measurements and said he'd be in touch. Never heard anything since and moved out of state so doubt I'll hear anything again.

Sorry folks, just venting. Back to Suitsupply discussion!

4. TC (Houston)

That's terrible and doesn't surprise me much. Mine was far worse, if you can believe it. I spent literally thousands of dollars with them over the course of a couple of months refitting my entire wardrobe after I lost about 10 lbs. On one bill, they tried to charge me for a bunch of work which I did not request and, it turns out, which they never actually performed! Fortunately the jackets in question were patterned and I had photographic evidence (thank you WAYWRN) of the jackets before alteration that proved that the disputed alterations were not performed. It resulted in a downward adjustment of several hundred dollars to the bill. I was only irritated at this point--figured it was just a miscommunication between CJ and the person who prepared the invoice. But the relationship ended when the daughter informs me that they were reducing the bill just to pacify me because Nick DID do the alterations himself, so he knows I'm lying, and that going forward I needed an appointment to come to the store and that they would no longer fit me for alterations unless she or Nick personally attended the fitting. LMFAO That was three years ago and the last time I set foot in there.

5. TC (Houston)

Thanks! And believe me, no one is more keenly aware of this than I. :)

6. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

I am a solo practitioner lawyer, so I can really do whatever I want. I think it's conservative enough for an informal business lunch, for example. I plan to have a lot of those this summer, and I don't want to have to choose between being overdressed and underdressed; i.e. sweating through my worsted wool suits or going business casual.

7. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Sounds like it will be fine for your purposes. That Lazio reminds me of a DB navy pinstripe linen suit I purchased last summer. I have no idea what took me so long to buy a linen suit in a dark, conservative color. Hides the wrinkles much better than the typical creams and tans and is so much more comfortable in warm weather than my typical worsted CBD suits. The best of all worlds. Enjoy!

8. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Horrible story TC but we live and learn. Glad you didn't get too much shaft but I think they are relying a lot on a reputation that is clearly not being met by customer service.

9. thatitalian

thatitalian Well-Known Member

Interesting choice of jackets. I own the tobacco Havana and the blue Havana. I'm also looking to purchase the brown one too!

I'm actually wearing one today ;-)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Great choice of tie, thatitalian! I love the havana jacket that I have; I was initially leery of the patch pockets, but they are actually much more functional than flap pockets for holding gloves and things. I would like to get more, but none of this season's Havana jackets really grabbed me.

By the way, I bought the blue check Lazio suit yesterday morning, it shipped yesterday morning from the Netherlands (via Germany), and it's out for delivery today in New Jersey. Suitsupply rocks like that.

11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I saw this suit on Tuesday and I liked it. A little blue-er than navy. Good looking suit.
    Salmon - I don't think simply bending your arm at the elbow should cause that much gap. It seems that just about every picture is showing something around the neck. ---- I had a few hours to kill in Chicago on Tuesday and stopped in the SS store. As expected, everything on the floor leaned towards the spring/summer stuff. Every sportcoat was linen or cotton. Most of the suits were the same. I was surprised to find so few year-round wool staples. I was specifically looking for this suit which the website says is blue and not navy: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...or&prefv2=Spring/Summer&prefv1=Classic-Napoli To my eye, it is a shade lighter than their navy, which I own (navy = http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...or&prefv2=Spring/Summer&prefv1=Classic-Napoli ) When I inquired, the salesman showed me the navy. I said no, this tag says navy, I am looking for blue. He said it was the same suit. When I asked why the website would sell 2 versions of the exact same suit in the same fit, he said he didn't know. Bummer, because I wanted to see how close to navy it looked IRL. Tried on a bunch of Havana SCs. I feel like these S/S models are a tad longer than the F/W and the 2013 S/S. I glanced thru some Suit Up fabric books. Their website says $749 is the starting point, but pretty much everything I chose, and I was looking at solids and pinstripes, were $849 and above.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

12. MacGuffen

MacGuffen Senior member

Has the London fit been discontinued in Europe?

13. Baked Potato

Baked Potato Senior member

Nope, they've just changed the name to "York" instead.

14. GloStiX

GloStiX Senior member

I owned a Washington for less than 24 hours. My overall assessment of SS: jackets too long, sleeves too short.

Seems to be a common issue with SS customer fitment.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014

15. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

You might be the first person I have ever heard complain about SS jackets being too long...you might want to look into Thom Browne

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014