1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior Member

Super long - <35 inches.

2. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior Member

I wear 15.5 35 in Charles Tyritt dress shirt and the sleeves are kind of short..

I hope Suit supply will be a little longer.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Distinguished Member

I give up on Houston's in-house tailoring process.

4. rzed

rzed Member

I don't know about SS, but have you tried tm lewin? They make 15.5 with 36" sleeves. Too bad they don't make a decent cut away collar though...

5. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

Say more....

6. Yogujuhere

Yogujuhere New Member

I'm thinking about getting a suit from SS.

In regards to the New York stores, which one do you guys prefer? Madison or the Soho location?

Any particular "go to" contacts at these stores?

Thanks =)

7. The_International

The_International Well-Known Member

I have had positive experiences in the Soho store and worked with Roxanna. Helpful, but not pushy, and she listens very well to what you're trying to achieve. Good luck!

8. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior Member

Joe and Eric are great from the Soho stores. If you need someone to spruce up your style in addition to the suit Eric is your man. Try to come in during work week hours as it gets super busy during the weekends.

9. TC (Houston)

A few thougths, and I mention these with the qualification that the people over there are very, very nice and really tried to make things right.

1. The alterations system is flawed. The sales associate pins the alterations and logs them into the computer, and then the seamstress separately executes. The seamstress never actually sees the garment on you. So if you need any alterations to address the way something drapes or hangs on you, it doesn't work that well.

2. Very inconistent execution. On the first suit, alterations were perfect on the first try. On the next couple, a lot of issues, mostly careless. They lengthened the sleeves on one jacket significantly instead of shortening them. When I saw the suit on the hanger, it looked ridiculous, any reasonable person should have questioned whether someone really wanted the sleeves lengthened to the length of the jacket. LOL A few other minor issues, but after three goes at it, I'm getting my suit 2 weeks after purchase instead of 3-4 days.

3. Stylistic differences. While I can appreciate the SS aesthetic, and I am buying these suits mostly for nights/weekend use, I would like to wear them occasionally in a business setting. These guys wear their pants crazy slim with the hem somewhere just below the calves. I need at least a whispering break and to be able to put my socks on without taking the pants off (not exaggerating). I couldn't talk them into widening the bottom half of the leg to those specs so had to take it to my alterations tailor.

As I said, they are very nice, but going forward I'm going to just take the suit straight to the full-service tailor to avoid the back and forth hopefully get a better result on the first try.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

This might not work when it's very busy, but I'm usually very persistent about having their tailor see it. Usually he'll take a minute or two to look at how the salesperson has pinned it, and might change a thing here and there. They might not like you for it, but at least you'll get a better fitting suit.

11. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

Very long time lurker with my first post...

I have 3 Suitsupply suits and am reasonably pleased with all of them. All of them are the Lazio fit and the two wool ones are impeccable. I also have a linen suit that is supposed to be the same fit, but it has been challenging getting it dialed in. It;s currently with my tailor, so hopefully we get it right this time.

12. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

As an aside, my experience at the Chicago store with the manager Ben was excellent after some early issues. I would reccomend that location highly.

13. TC (Houston)

Yes, great minds. I actually suggested that we ask the tailor (lady in the front enclosure who operates the sewing machine) to come take a look, and their reaction made it clear it was not something they were comfortable with.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014

14. 63AMG

63AMG Senior Member

@TC

This has been my EXACT experience at SS Houston as well. I won't bother with their tailor going forward. My friend from Cali bought a suit with me got pinned etc. When it was shipped to him the pants still had the pins and no alterations done.

They really need to clean up that part of their service.

15. TheTukker

TheTukker Distinguished Member

Wow - thanks TC. Sounds like you got a good alternative though; once you have a(n alterations) tailor you trust, better sick with 'm.