1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. zengy

zengy Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried their coats? I'm thinking about the grey casentino. I generally wear 98 (40L), shoulders and waist being 46 cm and 95-97 cm, respectively. The 98 (40L) has a 46.5 cm chest and 96 cm waist, which doesn't seem like a lot for a coat that'll be worn over a suit with app. same measurements.

Any thoughts?

2. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Senior member

I am also curious...should I just purchase the same size in coats as I would in jackets?

3. Jeroen Vriend

Jeroen Vriend Senior member

I wear them in the same size as my jackets. The sleeves from there coats are a bit short, keep that in mind.

4. zengy

zengy Well-Known Member

Thanks! The 98 has a 67.5 cm sleeve length. Should be fine for me.

5. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Thanks a lot for the feedback sirs, really worth gold.
    Thought I'd post some more pics of what I got from their EU outlet.

Washington size EU44 (US34):

Jacket is clearly longer then Havana, buttoning point lower and there is less crunching at the waist.
    Overall this cut seems great for people who are really long and thin (Suit Supply long sizes start at 92 (36L), so if you are 34 or smaller, the long sizes will probably not help you).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall, I'd say it's probably a better fit then Havana. It's just the fact that the styling is so much more formal (structured shoulders, peak lapels, flapped pockets), I have a hard time seeing myself use it for daily wear or as a separate odd jacket (although SuSu does sell odd jackets in this exact fit).

Nor does it really replace a navy suit for occasions where navy is needed.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  6. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Thanks a lot for you comments!
    I do believe a slightly asymmetric shoulders yes, but it the pics it's probably exaggerated by the fact that I reach forward with my right arm to press to shutter on the camera, causing jacket sleeve to slide up a bit. I've been watching out for it in my recent photos, where it shows much less.

This is really what bothers me most. I suspect this is the result of having wide hips (relative to a very narrow waist), so when I wear a jacket fitted at the waist, the big hips cause the skirt to flare out at the sides.

Here are pics of a second Havana jacket, same size (EU 44/US34). I've tried to stand straighter to avoid stance issues.

[​IMG]

On the pic below, I just pull in stomach and push out my chest, and it fits a lot cleaner:

[​IMG]

You think I should have it tailored to let out the waist? (or maybe just ask a tailor to move the waist buttons a bit - just a quarter of an inch more room in the waist I think would be enough to get a cleaner waist/hip area).
    Or size up to 46/36, and have chest and possibly shoulders taken in? (I would gain 1cm in both sleeve and jacket length on the flipside).

7. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

is there a particular way people outside of Europe are ordering from the outlet?

8. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Next up: Soho fit (DB), size 44 (US34):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First impression was that it was rather big and shapeless and felt almost old-man-ish. It's definitely a rather roomy and comfortable fit for me at any rate. The DB tailoring I've grown used to has been extremely fitted with a roped shoulder, example below:

[​IMG]

But maybe this is just the common young man obsession with overly tight tailoring, and Soho is actually a good fit?
    I really can't decide for myself.

9. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Good question. Last time the outlet was open (was last November I think), it was for Netherlands and North America customers only.

This time, it appears to be open to "select countries", which appears to mean large part of Europe. Customers from other countries will have to pay full price or use a package forwarding service it seems. I agree it's unfair though. Possible that Australia will be included in future outlet sales.

10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The Soho looks much, much better on you than that other jacket. Don't you see all the wrinkles and pulling in that other one? Anyways, all of your suits and jackets are way too short, as are the sleeves. Why don't you buy suitsupply's long sizes?

11. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

It's here, the Hudson is here! (Sorry if the pictures are not the best of quality)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First impressions:

That suit looks too small, there'll probably be pulling at the waist.

The fabric looks a lot less shinier, and a lot more textured than the image on the website.

I thought the triple patch pockets with a three-piece would be an issue, but I actually kinda like it!

After trying it on:

Surprisingly very little pulling at the waist, suit feels extremely comfortable, fabric is not too thick nor too thin!

The lapels look nice and wide (3.5"), considering that this is my first EVER notch lapel suit, this was very important.

Still no issue with the patch pockets, feels like a keeper.

Creases on the upper back, yeah, every single suit I've ever tried on has this issue (Regardless of sizing up/down), nothing new to see here.

Excess material at the lower back. I have also had this issue with a few suits I've tried on, though I think the cause of this one is the stitching on the vents (As it was with my Washington fit). If not I'll have it taken in from the side seams as I've done before on other suits. Not a big issue.

The hand-stiched shoulder looks truly beautiful, even my mother noticed it and she is usually unaware of such things.

Conclusion:

I think I'm keeping it, unless there is something wrong with it that I have overlooked (Please insert your criticism below). Triple-patch + three-piece is no problem for me, I still have at least 4 years before I'll be working in a real office environment, and love to dress up in clothes like this pretty much anywhere I go. Plus, it's pretty unique.

Extra details

My height: 5'7
    Weight: 50kg
    Chest: 34"
    Waist: 28"
    Hips: 34"

Suit size: 32R

What do you guys think?

12. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Last one I believe, Copenhagen fit (size 44).

This is basically Havana, just slightly shorter and slightly tighter. On the positive side, there is much less of a waist crunch for some reason (might have something to do with fabric, which is a winter-weight corduroy). It's a very slim (in shoulders, chest and waist) and short cut, and while I can't really decide if the fit is unflattering or not, the fabric is not to my liking (nor can I tell what use I would have for a 3-piece corduroy suit). This one is clearly going back to Holland.

[​IMG]

13. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

I have considered trying 46 long (92) which is the smallest long size, but from website measurements, sizing up from what I wear would be 1 inch bigger in the shoulders, almost 3 inches bigger in the chest and well over 2 inches bigger in the waist. I'm no expert on tailor alterations, but I think taking in 1 inch in the shoulders and 3 in the chest is going to beyond most tailors.

14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Then suitsupply is not the right brand for you. Might be better to return all of those purchases, and use that money to buy 2 good suits that actually fit you. It looks a little like you've outgrown your suits, as the both the sleeves and the jacket are too short for you. Why don't you give MTM a try?

15. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

Fabric is quite nice, looks rather versatile, jacket can easily be worn alone for various occasions (if you dress in 3-piece on daily basis I guess that is of less importance). I agree shoulder shape looks quite nice, somewhere in-between the structured and and un-structured cuts. The messy upper back is probably easier to solve then it looks - most tailors can lower the collar (meaning that they take the excess rippling fabric up inside the collar so to speak), it's a 50 euro or so alteration. Button stance could be lower, but we've already been trough that and unless you have a big chest (or plan on pumping iron in the future), it's alright in my humble opinion.
    The 3-patch is a pretty cute, gives a needed casual vibe to the 3-piece without being totally out of place. Overall, looks great!

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

The shoulders look a little off, but it's impossible to tell in these pictures. Try taking a proper picture, at chest height and from a normal distance. Other than that, the buttoning point is awfully high, but you knew that already, and I'd swap the buttons for a darker brown. You could give suitsupply MTM a try for the price of 1,5 suits. That way you can get a suit that fits perfectly, and in a more normal configuration. It might not be feasible for you, but it would be much better. Look at Timo's SuSU MTM suit:
    [​IMG]

17. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Yeah its painful its only for Europe only this time, def not holding my breathe that Aus will ever get one :p But if anyone has any info on European mail forwarders they've used let me know, theres a suit I wouldn't mind snagging from the outlet even if its meant to be eu only.

18. Gosroth

Gosroth Senior member

2 good suits that actually fit sounds awesome, but believe me, I've tried a several dozen options on three continents by now and if it was that easy I would not be posting here (not intending to whine - your input is much appreciated).

I have tried several storefront MTMs in Tokyo, results have been much less then stellar. To their justice, they did warn me beforehand that due to factory technical whatever, there where limits to how much the patterns could be adjusted. Given this, I don't think I can expect much more from online MTM (and unlike Suit Supply, there are no $200 outlet sales with free returns).

Maybe I should just save up my cash and wait till NapoliSuMisura are in town, though their prices are 5-6 times and it's frankly a bit beyond my budget (or rather, that I'd rather one a suit for 500 euro and stocks for 1k, then one suit for 1500...).

Oh well. Maybe Suit Supply will start making size 34 long one day.

Edit: Right, I totally forgot SS offered a MTM program. Gonna check it out when I'm in a city with a store.

19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Dude, you're in Tokyo. Go to Ring Jacket and get their MTM. Should be similar prices to suitsupply, and they make really nice stuff.

1 person likes this.
  20. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Really (the returning the suits part)? I mean, the Soho looks pretty good on him, and doesn't look that short. Especially against today's standards. I agree the sleeves are a little too short, but couldn't a good tailor let them out ¾" or 1" and then they wouldn't appear like he's outgrown his suit?

For me, that would be a keeper. Yes, a little bit of excess fabric in the lumbar region (tailorable) and in the triceps area (not sure if fixable), but the rest of the outfit fits pretty good, especially for RTW. It's not bespoke-like, but for +/- 500$ that's up to expectations. I especially like the fabric, the wide notch lapels and triple patch pockets.