• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rincon

Reaction score
The fabric close ups look great.

The entire look is way too #menswear tho, IMO.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I was thinking about heading out to the Suit Supply in Houston in a few weeks, are there any style suits that would work well for a muscular guy? I'm a 48L with a 36 waist and would appreciate any recommendations

It really depends on your thighs. The slim pants were the problem for me, and I'm not nearly as muscular as you. I had to size up, and even then the trousers fit like jeggings in the thighs, but were 2-3" big in the waist. You have a much bigger drop than me, though, so you might find something that works.

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, Just received my SuitSupply Washington Linen Blue jacket. Quality is just awesome, fit (for me at least) also. What do you think? Height 6.1 Weight 163 lbs Ordered size 38R
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
You need a 38L.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
Too short. Way too short.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LetsGOnats

Reaction score
I need some advice from you all on how to fix my SS suits. I purchased two suits in December, but haven't worn them much. I know I'm an idiot for not knowing exactly what I wanted, but here's where I am at.

My problem is that they fit very similar to the suit just posted. The jacket is too short in the sleeves and too tight on the body(one suit has button threads loose from 2 wears). The pants are too tight in the thighs. I have an athletic build (6'2" 180) so my shoulders are broad and my thighs are muscular, hence the tightness.

How should I go about fixing them? I figure SS can fix the button and lengthen the jackets. Can they make the body looser as well? As for the pants, should I try sizing up and buying separates? Or will SS be able to fix the pants too? All of the items were tailored at purchase.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I need some advice from you all on how to fix my SS suits. I purchased two suits in December, but haven't worn them much. I know I'm an idiot for not knowing exactly what I wanted, but here's where I am at.

My problem is that they fit very similar to the suit just posted. The jacket is too short in the sleeves and too tight on the body(one suit has button threads loose from 2 wears). The pants are too tight in the thighs. I have an athletic build (6'2" 180) so my shoulders are broad and my thighs are muscular, hence the tightness.

How should I go about fixing them? I figure SS can fix the button and lengthen the jackets. Can they make the body looser as well? As for the pants, should I try sizing up and buying separates? Or will SS be able to fix the pants too? All of the items were tailored at purchase.

Thank you in advance for any help.

PUt them on and take a picture. Post here or tailor's thread. There are limits to what can be done (there's a tailor's tutorial with Diduch giving a list of what can be fixed). But no point in answering without more data. Jacket lengthening is a no go generally (there won't be enough material and even if you could, you'll likely throw off balance (e.g. pocket placement)). But no way to really give advice without pictures (tailor thread is a good place to post this). Part of the problem is that some sales people will sell you things even if they don't fit.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
You're not an idiot for not knowing exactly what you wanted. You're a beginner like all of us were at one point. I don't have a single shred of clothing that I started my professional career with. You live and learn.

Lengthening sleeves shouldn't be a problem. If they took the jacket in a bit when you bought it, they should easily be able to let it out. Thighs could be a bit more tricky, as most pants don't have much, if any, space to let out. You might be better off to try and buy a size up in the pants, if you can get matching pants from SS. Or, if you happened to buy one of SS's more vibrant suits where the jacket could be passed off as a sportcoat, just buy a complimentary pair of trousers from a brand that fits you better.

The sales staff should have steered you away from a suit you'd be uncomfortable in, but from my one experience at the SoHo store, most of the sales guys wear their suits too tight/jackets too short. So I think that's kind of the look they push. The guy helping me kept trying to convince me that I need a regular instead of a long, even though the regular didn't cover my butt, saying "that's the way our suits are supposed to fit." I think SS offers great value if you know what you want, but someone inexperienced could easily go there looking for a business suit and walk out with a shrunken DB jacket with 4.5 inch lapels and pants that fit like jeggings.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking about heading out to the Suit Supply in Houston in a few weeks, are there any style suits that would work well for a muscular guy? I'm a 48L with a 36 waist and would appreciate any recommendations

I would just drop in and try as many models and sizes as you can. They have a lot of variety and quite a bit of inventory.

Incidentally, I just swung by there to pick up 2 new suits. Tailoring was not as spot-on as last time--3 of the 4 sleeves were off signifificantly.

LetsGOnats

Reaction score

You're not an idiot for not knowing exactly what you wanted. You're a beginner like all of us were at one point. I don't have a single shred of clothing that I started my professional career with. You live and learn.

Lengthening sleeves shouldn't be a problem. If they took the jacket in a bit when you bought it, they should easily be able to let it out. Thighs could be a bit more tricky, as most pants don't have much, if any, space to let out. You might be better off to try and buy a size up in the pants, if you can get matching pants from SS. Or, if you happened to buy one of SS's more vibrant suits where the jacket could be passed off as a sportcoat, just buy a complimentary pair of trousers from a brand that fits you better.

The sales staff should have steered you away from a suit you'd be uncomfortable in, but from my one experience at the SoHo store, most of the sales guys wear their suits too tight/jackets too short. So I think that's kind of the look they push. The guy helping me kept trying to convince me that I need a regular instead of a long, even though the regular didn't cover my butt, saying "that's the way our suits are supposed to fit." I think SS offers great value if you know what you want, but someone inexperienced could easily go there looking for a business suit and walk out with a shrunken DB jacket with 4.5 inch lapels and pants that fit like jeggings.

Thanks to you and TweedyProf for the replies. I will try to put up some better pics, but here is one from the weekend.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Not the best pic to judge from, but, unfortunately, the jacket looks too short. As TweedyProf said, you can't lengthen the jacket's body. This suit would be fine for non-business settings (night on the town, wedding, dates, etc.), if you like the style, but it's too short for the office or interviews. Is it a long? I'm 5'11, and though I'm a regular in most brands, I needed a long for SS. At 6'2, you clearly need a long. Can't see the thigh issue you mentioned, but the rise looks really low on those pants.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's a link on the tutorial which suggests you can't lengthen the jacket: http://www.styleforum.net/t/265735/allowances-for-alterations-to-tailored-clothing

I do think it is too short, from a classically proportioned point of view (and I think there are good reasons for longer jackets, as my last post several posts above).

You could lengthen the sleeves but if I remember, the buttons are perhaps 1.5 inches from the edge of the sleeve, so if you need a bit of lengthening, it might start to look strange to have the buttons so far back from the edge. The gorge is too high (the notch on the lapel). If too tight at the waist (which I suspect), then you could let out the waist although there are limits there. How is it in the chest? The shoulders might be ok, but easier to judge if you hand your arms straight down.

You might have some room to take out the thighs a bit, but at this point, I would go to a tailor you trust and talk about options. It is important to have a sense of what you want. I'm sorry that SS pushed a more extreme cut on you but it seems that is their style at this point. Still, if you can tailor it to be comfortable, that might be enough to wear the jacket and look good to most of the public and that might be enough...e.g. if a significant other likes you in it. You have to enjoy clothes, no matter what SFers say. So, get it to the point of being comfortable if possible.

I would definitely lengthen the sleeves if you can, however; the extreme short jacket sleeve is perplexing me...a kind of FU mentality about fashion that seems to really have no place: a half inch of shirt cuff, ok, but one full inch?!?!.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
BTW, some suggest that the Lazio might be a good fit, lower button stance etc. Also agree with RRothchild: a long for sure, or better, one of their other fits. Which one is this?

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi guys, Just received my SuitSupply Washington Linen Blue jacket. Quality is just awesome, fit (for me at least) also. What do you think?

You're young (29?), slim, fit and trendy. The jacket suits you well. It's not great for being a banker in London, but I'm guessing you're not trying for that look anyway. Enjoy it and wear with pride.

jimanchower

Reaction score

but it's too short for the office or interviews

That's going a bit too far in my opinion. Too short for an interview/job at one of the big four accounting firms or a conservative law office? Yes. Too short for an interview at a startup social media company? Nah. I know this is the Classic Menswear subforum and that suit's cut is on the fashionable side of the style spectrum, but I doubt it would raise an eyebrow outside of a handful of very traditional settings.

My guideline is this: If the job you're interviewing for is one where you're expected to wear a suit regularly, go with something more traditional for the interview. If it's a more casual office environment, a shorter/slimmer/trendier cut is fine, and may even be a positive attribute if you're interviewing with people who aren't accustomed to more traditional menswear. Not that I'm an expert, just trying to add my perspective.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads