1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Seminole21

Seminole21 Member

I was thinking about heading out to the Suit Supply in Houston in a few weeks, are there any style suits that would work well for a muscular guy? I'm a 48L with a 36 waist and would appreciate any recommendations

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Most trousers would probably be too slim in the thighs if you're really muscular. Depends on whether you're skipping leg day or not I guess.

3. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior Member

I'm not a body builder, but I do play basketball and strength train. I didn't have to size down as SS recommends. With that being said, the trousers fully wrap around me when I bend my leg, but it doesn't feel tight by any means. Pretty much, I'm pushing it if I let my thighs get any bigger. I imagine if you have bigger thighs, then it would be a problem.

I would see if you can buy separates. Size up on the trousers and tailor in the waist and seat.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014

4. Nathan84

Nathan84 Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    Just received my SuitSupply Washington Linen Blue jacket.
    Quality is just awesome, fit (for me at least) also.
    What do you think?

Height 6.1
    Weight 163 lbs
    Ordered size 38R

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

5. mothon

mothon Senior Member

Looks good. Next time you may want to try a 38L.

6. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

It's too short but if that's what you like, it's all good.

7. Nathan84

Why 38L? 38R seems long enough.
    By the way, somebody posted in this thread before that L sizes are for people 6.2 tall or more.

P.S
    Anybody is familiar with SS cotton trousers? How they in compare to Howard Yout?
    Thanks in advance,

8. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Distinguished Member

^ Looks too small everywhere... shoulders, sleeves, waist, length, sleeve length...

9. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

+1 ... doesn't look comfortable to me at all and that is a lot of cuff showing or having your arm down which means it's even worse when seated and doing things.

10. Nathan84

Me sleeves are even longer than on model wearing same jacket (on SS website). I agree that comparing to classic standards it's too short, but don't forget that it should be slim fit, hence shorter and tighter than more classical jackets. By the way according to SS' product dimensions there is 5cm difference between 38L and 38R jackets, it will be just too long and don't forget the working cuffs - problematic to shorten the sleeves.
    [​IMG]

11. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior Member

Seems like you asked us for an opinion but you don't like it now. Too bad. If you're going for the tight and short look, you're on your way but to me it's too short, for what it's worth.

Oh, and so are most of the suits on SS models on the website...

12. jimanchower

jimanchower Senior Member

I'll chime in to say I think it looks good given the look that you're going for. I'd probably have the sleeves let out just a bit. It's a little short and the button point is pretty high, but I think it fits you as intended, so if you like it, rock on.

13. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

Model fits on websites are a pretty bad benchmark when you consider they're all pinned in the back and too tight in the front.

Yes, technically the sleeves on yours are longer than the sleeves on the website picture. But it would also be nearly impossible for yours to be shorter unless you wanted a 3/4 sleeve look on your jackets.

14. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

If you're trying to look like the model, then sure, I think that's accomplished. Maybe be more specific in your questions: "what do you think?" is too open ended. Do you want to know if the shoulders are clean etc.?

There's definitely a large subset of men who want to look in the style as the models do in the SS pics. Fine. If that's what you want, then be satisfied with it (you might have a slight collar gap, though hard to tell since you aren't standing with arms straight--can't tell how clean the shoulders are). You can stop reading now [​IMG].

But if the question is about how it looks more objectively, I hope you'll note my 2 cents. I think it can be compellingly argued that the classical look is better: short sleeves like that make your arms look like "monkey arms", i.e. too long; the short length can lead to your legs looking more stilt like, decreasing substance in your torso. Too much waist suppression, and it looks like you are wearing a corset (see one of OTC's clients in the tailor's thread a few weeks ago). A high button stance exaggerates your abdomen as against your chest (should be the reverse).

That is, the small/short trend exaggerates the male form in ways that I think are not attractive. These are matters of aesthetic balance to me that trends just obscure (I think it matters less if you plan to wear a jacket of those proportions casually, unbuttoned over jeans or chinos, but this is a peak lapel).

15. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Having said all that: I do think one should enjoy what one wears. Again, if you like the look (and many do, which is why SS is expanding like the CHinese Economy in the 90s), then enjoy it.