• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cuponoodles

Reaction score
Looks like a pure marketing scheme to me. I'd expect them to be half-canvassed - they must be trying to increase the value component of their brand and distance it slightly from some of the more luxe products they offer. Get people in the door with their basic Blue Line option and build a strong, returning customer base that's willing to spend money on future suiting in other lines and models.

jprez111

Reaction score
My understanding was that the Sevilla fit was the only fused, but that was under the blue line (also last time i talked to a SS rep). I dont know if by adding the Napoli cut to the blue line means its fused? Curious to see if anyone knows for sure.

Wess

Reaction score

My understanding was that the Sevilla fit was the only fused, but that was under the blue line (also last time i talked to a SS rep).  I dont know if by adding the Napoli cut to the blue line means its fused?  Curious to see if anyone knows for sure.

Sevilla has been removed from their webstore, looks like they are phasing them out (they had horrible fitting trousers anyway). The outlet was full of them. Makes sense they use Napoli as the only fused option now.

Last edited:

MMoon24

Reaction score
Got off the phone with another CS Rep not too long ago. She said the Blue Line is all fused with the rest being fully canvassed unless specified in the product description. I can see the first part being true, but the latter not so much. I don't know anymore.

Last edited:

watch37

Reaction score
Got off the phone with another CS Rep not too long ago. She said the Blue Line is all fused with the rest being fully canvassed unless specified in the product description. I can see the first part being true, but the latter not so much. I don't know anymore.
The information you received from their representative is contrary to my understanding of their suit construction. As jprez111 said above, their Sevilla line was their only fused suits. Their Jort/La Spalla suit is their only off-the-rack suit that is fully canvassed. All of their remaining suits, including suits in their Suit Up line (like the Sienna) are half-canvassed. If there are any other off-the-rack suits that are fully canvassed, that would be news to me.

By the way, if the CS rep is correct in that the $399 Napolis are, in fact, all fused, then SS should redo their website. Right now, when you go to click on their $399 suits, at the bottom of the page it has a lengthy description about the canvass construction of their suits. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that the description should be interpreted as meaning half-canvassed, as opposed to fully canvassed, the canvassing description should not be on the same page as suits that are fused (assuming, again, that the $399 suits are fused).

MMoon24

Reaction score
The information you received from their representative is contrary to my understanding of their suit construction. As jprez111 said above, their Sevilla line was their only fused suits. Their Jort/La Spalla suit is their only off-the-rack suit that is fully canvassed. All of their remaining suits, including suits in their Suit Up line (like the Sienna) are half-canvassed. If there are any other off-the-rack suits that are fully canvassed, that would be news to me.

By the way, if the CS rep is correct in that the $399 Napolis are, in fact, all fused, then SS should redo their website. Right now, when you go to click on their $399 suits, at the bottom of the page it has a lengthy description about the canvass construction of their suits. Even giving them the benefit of the doubt that the description should be interpreted as meaning half-canvassed, as opposed to fully canvassed, the canvassing description should not be on the same page as suits that are fused (assuming, again, that the $399 suits are fused).
I also thought the Havana was also fused?

Anyways, I really don't know. I do have a Blue Line and Purple Line Napoli coming in by Thursday, so I can update the thread as I attempt the "pinch" test. I'll take both to the tailor as well to get his thoughts on it. I do agree that their website is not making it easy and can be misleading. Combine that with the uninformed CS reps, someone could easily file a lawsuit if they felt they got ripped off.

Last edited:

Rincon

Reaction score
For me SS are "fashion" suits. I don't expect them to last more than 2-3 years regardless.

So on Havanas et al. it hardly matters.

If you are going for a more conservative Jort, of course, you want that baby fully canvassed.

Vali

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum and in my first post I have a question: does anybody know what fits are available as made to measure? I'm particularily interesed to find out if the washington fit is available as mtm, as I very much like this fit, but I would like to get it in different fabrics (on the site they say that for mtm they have 600 fabrics to choose from). SS seems to slowly eliminate the washington from their current collections and online store and offer it in less and less fabrics.
If this question was posted and and already answered, could please somebody share a link with me, as I couldn't find it...

Thank you in advance

watch37

Reaction score

For me SS are "fashion" suits. I don't expect them to last more than 2-3 years regardless.

So on Havanas et al. it hardly matters. 

If you are going for a more conservative Jort, of course, you want that baby fully canvassed. 

I have to disagree that these are fashion suits. They are half or fully canvassed and use high quality fabrics.

meursault42

Reaction score

I have to disagree that these are fashion suits. They are half or fully canvassed and use high quality fabrics.

Not to mention predominantly conservative styling. SS don't make the world's best suits by any stretch but I hardly feel they belong in the same category as say Black Fleece or something.

Last edited:

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mention predominantly conservative styling. SS don't make the world's best suits by any stretch but I hardly feel they belong in the same category as say Black Fleece or something.

The Jort/La Spalla is on the same level quality wise as Black Fleece..the Purple line is on the same level as RL Polo..I have a La Spalla and I have handled a black fleece (as in seen one opened up construction wise infront of me by a tailor who was working on one for someone else).. there was really no difference.. same full canvassing with machine work all the way around.. now the Golden Fleece line of BB is better than the Jort/ LaSpalla line of SS that I can agree with..

Rincon

Reaction score

I meant more in regards of the cuts.

IMO fits like Havana (high button stance, short length), Washington (wide peak lapels) will be outdated due to fashion cycles in a few year. Fine by me, I own multiples of both - just sayin'.

That's why I'm not overly concerned with fused vs. canvas... though I do believe Suit Supply is decent quality.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

I would also disagree with this to the extent that it implies that some of the more out there cuts are on trend right now. I look at the Washington and the Madison, and I don't see a lot of designers with cuts like that. I see no one in real life wearing giant peak lapels. What I'm getting at is that, if you're rocking a pin-stripe Madison right now, you clearly don't care that it's a little different. So I don't see anyone having buyer's remorse 2 or 3 years down the road.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads