• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LosFlewfers

Reaction score
Hey Guys. I was hoping you would be able to help me. I am 5'5(and one half), I weigh 140 pounds, have a 35 chest and roughly a 31/32 wait. I have heard amazing things about SuitSupply and am able to make the journey to their location in Chicago. However I am concerned that I might be too short to buy one and get it tailored. Would the better route be MTM? If the answer is obviously MTM then I don't want to make the 2 hour long journey into the city. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything regarding the US outlet site re-opening?

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Guys. I was hoping you would be able to help me. I am 5'5(and one half), I weigh 140 pounds, have a 35 chest and roughly a 31/32 wait. I have heard amazing things about SuitSupply and am able to make the journey to their location in Chicago. However I am concerned that I might be too short to buy one and get it tailored. Would the better route be MTM? If the answer is obviously MTM then I don't want to make the 2 hour long journey into the city. Thank you very much.

Every suit I have ever purchased has had something tailored. What are you afraid of, that a size short is too short, or something else?

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey Guys. I was hoping you would be able to help me. I am 5'5(and one half), I weigh 140 pounds, have a 35 chest and roughly a 31/32 wait. I have heard amazing things about SuitSupply and am able to make the journey to their location in Chicago. However I am concerned that I might be too short to buy one and get it tailored. Would the better route be MTM? If the answer is obviously MTM then I don't want to make the 2 hour long journey into the city. Thank you very much.

Just have a tailor take your measurements and then compare them to articles of clothing that catch your eye.

I mean, once you get yourself properly measured all these questions essentially answer themselves.

MMoon24

Reaction score
One of my suits is expected to arrive today after the winter weather shananigans that delayed it for 2 days.

However, no email or word on the outlet order I made last week.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do anyone here know how they measure the suits? For example shoulder and chest.

Picture indicates that they measure shoulders by going up by the shoulder seam, across the collar, and down the other shoulder seam. But not straight across, from seam to seam?

Also, chest picture indicates that they've taken a tape around the suit? Not pit to pit, and then doubled.
Customer service didn't help.

LosFlewfers

Reaction score
Just have a tailor take your measurements and then compare them to articles of clothing that catch your eye.

I mean, once you get yourself properly measured all these questions essentially answer themselves.

Every suit I have ever purchased has had something tailored. What are you afraid of, that a size short is too short, or something else?

My concern is that when I compare the measurements that I know, they don't seem to line up very well. My chest is 3 or 4 inches below their smallest suit(32 regular) and is 6 inches below their 36 small. Everything else is off by just a little bit. Not sure if those differences are too much for tailoring and thus should go Made to Measure. I admit I do not have the best eye for how well something fits(I am better than the vast majority but I don't notice half of the stuff you do on this forum) so I don't want to go, get convinced that something works, spend a bunch of money, and then get something that is off because of my size.

Last edited:

sns23

Reaction score
I highly doubt you are a 28 or 30 suit. I am extremely thin and fit into 36 or slim 38. You sound like a good candidate for slim 36s

Last edited:

LosFlewfers

Reaction score
I highly doubt you are a 28 or 30 suit. I am extremely thin and fit into 36 or slim 38. You sound like a good candidate for slim 36s

Hmm I could be doing this wrong. I am going off of their product dimensions that you can access when looking at their size advisor. The chest size for each suit is below

Napoli: 41.1
Sienna: 37.8
La Spalla: 40.6
Lazio: 42.5
Washington: 40.5

When I go by their video and measure my chest, I come to 34.5. That is the difference that concerns me.

sns23

Reaction score
Your suit size is not the same as your actual chest measurement. You have to have breathing room.

LosFlewfers

Reaction score
Your suit size is not the same as your actual chest measurement. You have to have breathing room.

Oh. Well I feel stupid. Good to know though. I am brand new to the whole buying a nice suit thing. Thanks.

sns23

Reaction score

Oh. Well I feel stupid. Good to know though. I am brand new to the whole buying a nice suit thing. Thanks. 

And actually looking at your height and weight above makes me think you will probably be in a larger suit than you think. I weigh less than you but am over 6' and often fit into 38. The only way to know what fits is to try stuff on.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't worry. First belt I ever bought I got a 32 because I'm a 32 waist and then wondered why I couldn't even fasten it. We all start somewhere.

Bexcellence

Reaction score
how often do they restock suits online? Im looking for a 40L in Washington...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics