• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
are you sure you are not a 36R? shoulders seem a little wide and too much excess fabric under pits. OTOH a 38 in the slimmer washington line may fit better

JKPN

Reaction score
Thinking of pulling the trigger on a suit and a couple of jackets soon.

Just a quick question. I'm 6 ft 1 5/8 in (187cm) normal to athletic build. Chest 38,2 in, my jackets are usually around 17,7 in across back (shoulder seam to shoulder seam) and ca 25,6 in arms (shoulder seam to cuff). I'm usually a size 38R but from the measurements on the site it looks like the all jackets may run short in the sleeves (and maybe body as well?).

I'm leaning towards the napoli or washington suit and washington/copenhagen/italia jackets. Should I go with a 38R, 38L, 40R? I know I can just order several sizes but don't feel like (due to money and return packaging) ordering three different sizes in three to four different cuts, hence the question.

Would be great to get answer from someone around my length/build.

Regards

awerty

Reaction score
I think maybe the fit doesn't fit me. I'm 5'8" so I think a R might be too long on me, and I'm not sure the sleeves could be lengthen enough since i have longer than normal arms. Maybe the Milano/Fitzgerald suit by Brooks Brothers would fit better.

Last edited:

bluesman528

Reaction score

I think maybe the fit doesn't fit me.  I'm 5'8" so I think a R might be too long on me, and I'm not sure the sleeves could be lengthen enough since i have longer than normal arms.  Maybe the Milano/Fitzgerald suit by Brooks Brothers would fit better.  

Maybe. Maybe the Sienna cut is not the best for you, too. But I still think you have just got the wrong size.The european size 48 (which is 38R in the US) is generally made for men from 5'7" to 5'9".

JKPN

Reaction score

Maybe. Maybe the Sienna cut is not the best for you, too. But I still think you have just got the wrong size.The european size 48 (which is 38R in the US) is generally made for men from 5'7" to 5'9".

What height are 38L's usually designed for? Or say the european sizes 96 and 98? It's a pitty they don't have the length of the jackets measurement on the site....

bluesman528

Reaction score

What height are 38L's usually designed for? Or say the european sizes 96 and 98? It's a pitty they don't have the length of the jackets measurement on the site....

94 = 178-182cm
98 = 181-185cm

But these sizes are not more than general recommendations. All RTW producers interpret them in their own particular way. Therefore I would not use them to guess a size for an unknown suit model without the possibility to try it on. I only wanted to point out to awerty that it's not unreasonable in general to get a 38R for his height (especially given that the 38S Sienna had a very baggy fit on him and much too short sleeves).

You should contact their customer service, they can help you with all kinds of measurements.

johnnyletrois

Reaction score

Thinking of pulling the trigger on a suit and a couple of jackets soon. Just a quick question. I'm 6 ft 1 5/8 in (187cm) normal to athletic build. Chest 38,2 in, my jackets are usually around 17,7 in across back (shoulder seam to shoulder seam) and ca 25,6 in arms (shoulder seam to cuff). I'm usually a size 38R but from the measurements on the site it looks like the all jackets may run short in the sleeves (and maybe body as well?). I'm leaning towards the napoli or washington suit and washington/copenhagen/italia jackets. Should I go with a 38R, 38L, 40R? I know I can just order several sizes but don't feel like (due to money and return packaging) ordering three different sizes in three to four different cuts, hence the question. Would be great to get answer from someone around my length/build. Regards

I'm similar build and the 38r fit great everywhere except the sleeve length. Sleeves too damn short!

Last edited:

Snebbu

Reaction score
recently bought a suit and a SC at Suitsupply, and I'm really happy with their fit and also with the overall quality. In fact, I don't think I've ever stumbled across a brand that sells suits OTR that I don't feel need too much altering, if any at all

Chalkstripesuit.jpg

Brownwindowpane.jpg

Size is 38L in the Washington cut.

vida

Reaction score
Looks very nice. Are the Washington's sleeves on the narrow side?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
dare I say that you look like a wanker in both?

Don't think I'd ever leave the house in those things.

sorry

Snebbu

Reaction score
Heh, well it's not like I usually go out wearing obnoxious stuff like these two seeing as I'm a student without too much occasions for suits or anything fancier than a shirt, but at a price of 150 dollars for both the suit and SC NWT, I couldn't resist.

As to the sleeves, I have to admit that I'm not the most knowledgeable of persons when it comes to sizing, but I don't think they are too narrow as I can still move my arms freely in them without real problems, that being said, they might be somewhat on the narrow side compared to some other stuff I have.

Snebbu

Reaction score
At their outlet store in the Netherlands, the guy also gave me an additional discount on top of the outlet price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads