1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sort missed all of reddit. What happened?

2. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashionadvice/comments/1xwngb/we_are_nish_jan_stephanie_and_chris_from/

Basically the most popular discussion on there was about SS' marketing. Basically how they come off as sexist, pervy, whatever other words you want to use in that genre. I can't link them here, but if you Google Image "SuitSupply", you'll know what I"m talking about.

Personally, I associate suits with being classy and a gentleman. SS gives that opportunity for young individuals. Their marketing seems to be catering towards the Abercrombie type guys or something.

Edit: SS' US website has been updated to reflect a bit of what I'm talking about.

Edit 2: NSFW: http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/uncensored

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I don't associate women in bikini tops with disgusting. I showed the campaigns to my girlfriend and she didn't mind at all. There are plenty of campaigns with half naked men targeted to women. Suitsupply has been having campaigns like this since their start, and no one has ever said anything like that to me upon hearing my suits are from suitsupply.

Anyway, who cares? They make good suits, that's all that matters to me.

3 people like this.
  4. TM79

TM79 Senior member

SuitSupply and "classic" and "gentlemanly" never really went hand in hand.

It always seemed sort of fashion forward/GQ to me. Really doesn't surprise me they'd run a campaign like this.

I sort of feel like their target demo is guys who watch the show Suits and want to emulate that in real life.

5. MMoon24

MMoon24 Senior member

I think I may have chosen the wrong set of words. Classic not so much, but SS does display a sense of youth, while being fashion forward that other brands do not. So for a 24 year old like me, who still has to dress conservatively in a sense, the Napoli line works wonders. Given the slim look, I still feel like a gentleman with a slight "edge" over the traditional Brooks Brothers look.

6. sdotc

sdotc Member

The fact that Reddit and MFA decided to spend the entire SS AMA bitching about the ad campaign and female breasts tells you everything you need to know about that group.

8 people like this.
  7. bgoodwi

bgoodwi Member

I think its a clever campaign strategy for a suit company. How do you make women sexy? Put them in skimpy clothes. What about a man? Put them in a sharp suit.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

Not sure why this is such a big deal NOW. Suitsupply has been known for edgy/risky/sexy/sexist/whatever campaigns for years.

3 people like this.
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

They've had much more 'distasteful' campaigns in the past. Just search suitsupply ads or something like that. They're doing it to get a rise out of people, which is obviously working.

NSFW:
    http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/style/...upply-banned-westfield-campaign/viewgallery/0
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/01/suit-supply-shameless-ca_n_777262.html

1 person likes this.
  10. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

I agree, this isn't a new thing for SuitSupply.

When I first saw the new banner for the website, it gave me a really cool summer vibe, despite the horrible storm going on over here in the UK.

Didn't see the uncensored option at first, I don't really think that they needed to do uncensored pictures, but at least they aren't showing those to everyone as soon as they get on the site, that would be a problem.

11. monkeynuts

monkeynuts Well-Known Member

no ones forcing you people to buy their stuff or go to their website to see their products.

if you dont like the marketing, go buy something else.

2 people like this.
  12. ABCXYZ

ABCXYZ Active Member

arggg… my eyes….all those naked women……it's horrible…. (reaches for the scotch)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  13. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

It's new to Americans. Thats why it's new.

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

America: Where if something doesn't happen in America we're not aware of it and/or don't care :)

22% joking

The site looks extremely GQ/Maxim Magazine which is why all the knee jerk reactions. Gasp! I am buying that which I've been told to hate! Etc.

That said, I sort of like the tobacco linen although I'd need a lower button stance to want to wear it.

15. mxtwoforty

mxtwoforty Active Member

Get new friends?

16. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

"[Chris] Personally, from the salesfloor, I notice that my customers who bike or run sometimes do not fit our trousers, or they are tight. I recommend that you try the Havana and Napoli, which are our widest cuts, and go from there. In our Napoli cut, we also have a style that we sell as seperates, so you can mix-and-match sizes if the need be."

Chris must not be the guy at the Soho store who still tried to sell me a Sienna after I already sized up and the trousers fit like jeggings.

17. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

These ads:

a) piss of a lot of people, but mostly women and others who are unlikely to purchase from Suitsupply to begin with
    b) give them a lot of publicity, which will probably help them sell more suits

Sounds like a good marketing strategy to me...

18. jamesryan123

jamesryan123 Active Member

Bought a Napoli Navy suit from here; first foray away from MTM just to save some cash really. I am a standard 36S in most brands. Found the Napoli fit to be rather generous in the waist and chest and fitting more like a 38 but the sleeves and length were spot on.

Can anyone suggest a slimmer cut? The Washington perhaps?

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suit...efn3=styleFit&prefv2=Spring/Summer&prefv1=36S is what I bought.

19. yoose

yoose Well-Known Member

you could try the lazio and the washington. in the recent reddit they provided the following info:
    Slimmest to fullest: Copenhagen, Washington, Sienna, La Spalla, Lazio, Napoli, Havana

1 person likes this.
  20. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The Havana is the fullest? I've seen it ranked as the slimmest before...