Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sinfjotli

sinfjotli Senior member

Thank you. Here is the close-up. It looks like barleycorn tweed, though the fabric is much lighter than tweed. More like medium weight.
    [​IMG]

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

IMHO, don't narrow the waist further unless it's only through the front darts. If they take it in at the side seams, the back may buckle even more; it's already almost too tight at the back, if that's part of the reason it's crumpling there. Also, undo the basting stitches currently holding the rear flap down before making any tailoring decisions as while they're holding the vents closed, it may be disguising the actual fit there a bit.

3. ishakir

ishakir Well-Known Member

I have one from last year which is basically this one but in blue. I am usually a 40R and initially tried to get the same size for the top coat but had to return it as it looked a bit snug over a suit (especially when you add any additional layers such as a sweater / etc). I had to get the sleeves shortened and the waist brought in a bit but I could not be happier.

My advice to you would be to do the same, order one size up and then get it tailored.

On another note, I just sniped one of these guys: http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/jacket-navy-plain-soho-c503/C503,en_US,pd.html?start=8&cgid=Jackets - this will be my 4th (!) SOHO, lol.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013

4. ReginaldSpecter

ReginaldSpecter New Member

Long time lurker here on SF and now I'm looking to buy my first "real" suit. I am currently in college and need this for upcoming internship/job recruitment and based on what I've read, I feel that the Napoli best fits what I'm looking for (slim fit, but conservative enough for job interviews). I'm about 6'2 and 165lbs with a very lean build. I measured myself according to what the suitsupply size advisor needed and here's what I got:

Height: 74 in
    Chest: 38 in
    Upper Waist: 32 in
    Lower Waist: 34 in

It recommended that I get a 36 but that seems awfully small. My instinct is to go with a 38L, but I would appreciate any insight from anyone who is more familiar with suitsupply sizing. Thanks in advance

5. sliq

sliq Senior member

errr, Napoli is not a slim fit. if anything, it's the roomiest. with Napoli you'll need to size down by 1. e.g. if you are a size 38, get a size 36. best to go in store to check it out, or otherwise, order your current size and the size below you, then ship back whichever doesn't fit you.

having said that, mr. reginald specter i would've thought you'd be buying tom ford with massive peak lapell since your son rocks 'em.

6. ReginaldSpecter

ReginaldSpecter New Member

Going to the store is not an option as I'm in California. As for the fit of the Napoli, based on what I've seen in this thread it seems to be slim enough (with the help of a good tailor of course). Besides, I don't have too many options considering Im set on getting a plain navy suit. The only other style that offers that is the London, which I've read is looser than the Napoli.

As much as I love and appreciate that you're a Suits fan, I'm sorry to say that Harvey's father's name is Gordon Specter. Reginald is Harvey's middle name :p

7. breakaway01

breakaway01 Senior member

Actually the Napoli is cut fairly wide in the shoulders compared to the London and others. You can see the measurements when you click on the Size Advisor button. I am usually a 36R but had to size down to 34R for a good fit in the shoulders. In your case the problem may be that a 36R Napoli may fit you in the shoulders but will be too short in the sleeves.

8. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

My first thought was the 38L. If your credit card can take it, order a few sizes.

9. allegrokev

allegrokev Active Member

A quick, currently unrelated question, are the facings of the suitsupply dinner jacket grosgrain? It doesn't say so in the description but looks like it possibly could be in the photos...

Thanks in advance

10. sir edmund

sir edmund Member

38l worked pretty well for me and i am built similarly. I would start there. Consider the Washington fit as well.

11. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

That burgundy SC was supposed to be available after Sept 8. I was going to order last night, only to find it delayed until Nov 1. dammit.

12. The Transporter

The Transporter Senior member

I'm going to go against the grain and say that the London is a roomier fit than that Napoli. I bought a 44L London and the only alterations I had to make were to cuff the pants. Love that suit. Too bad Suitsupply only offers it in navy so I also went with a charcoal Napoli. The jacket fits but the pants downright suck. Yeah, I'm quite a bit bigger than 99% of you (6'4" 225 lbs, athletic from squats, deadlifts, presses, etc.) and the London pants barely fit me but the Napoli pants didn't stand a chance - unless I stand up all the time and even then they're Saran Wrap. As soon as I sit down I'm busting out of the seams at the thighs. Of course the SA said, "Oh, we can make them work by letting out the inner seam." Yeah, right. I was in a hurry and picked it up from the store and finally got a chance to try it on this weekend. Guessing I'll find out today how good their customer service is because I'm heading back in to return the damn thing.

Keeping the London - beautiful suit.

13. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

Agreed. Really wish they offered the London cut in some more casual fabrics. Alas...

14. Hordie

Hordie Member

So, the C705 "Wool Cashmere by Ormezzano (It)" is definitely 50% acetat? Bummer, wanted to order one for fall.

Seems like it's best to avoid any jacket that has "blend" in the description...

15. Miklas

Miklas Member

Yes, it´s grosgrain (it´s black, shiny and slightly ribbed fabric) on the lapels, at least for the black tux (don´t know about the midnight blue one).