Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Incorrect. CA is the abbreviation for Acetate and WS is the abbreviation for Cashmere. So it is 10% Cashmere. WV is virgin wool.

2. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

:butbut:

Ty for clarifying

3. timotune

timotune Senior member

4. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Recommend for what purpose?

5. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Sounds like suiitsupply uses some pretty brutal fabric compositions.

6. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Hi everyone - I recently ordered these two Havana sport jackets and am curious to know the perspective of this group.

http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/jacket-blue-plain-havana-c519/C519,en_US,pd.html?vpid=C51904

http://us.suitsupply.com/jackets/jacket-grey-plain-havana-c561/C561,en_US,pd.html?vpid=C56104

I am potentially moving to a new job where suits are a rarity, but I need to be on the "more formal side of casual" (if that makes any sense). As such, I'm looking to expand my sport jacket collection with one of these two.

Looking mostly for versatility in addition to style. Right now I have a charcoal sportcoat as well as a darker grey/thin patterned sportcoat. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance!

7. CousinDonuts

First, you need to get a navy blazer. If you don't need suits, maybe get two, one standard issue and one with a slightly different look, like the patch pocket version that SS sells.

I would think a charcoal blazer is hard to wear. Does it look like an orphaned suit coat?

As for these two you posted, I would say that you'll get more play out of the grey one. If the first is as shiny as it appears on the website, I would say it is not "formal side of casual" in my book.

8. CousinDonuts

Let's back up on the fabric discussion for a minute..... seems like a lot of hand wringning over a few one-off jackets. The US site lists 105 suits, only one of which mentions any sort of blend. Is the concern that SS is going to start using more blends and eventually degrade the whole collection? Or is it that these things are listed as pure wool and really the tags are showing differently?

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

It's people extrapolating where they shouldn't, i.e. SS had 1 poly blend last year, and 2 this year, so the whole collection will probably exist out of blends in a few years.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  10. randymac88

randymac88 Member

Thanks Cousin. I am leaning towards the grey one as well, but am interested in seeing how the blue looks in person. As you noticed because I don't have the navy in my wardrobe, I was thinking this might help fill the gap temporarily. I know I need that navy, I'm just think it's so *boring*, I have had a hard time dropping the cash on it.

As for the charcoal, you are mostly right. I was worried about the orphaned look when I bought it and I do think it's a little borderline, but I like the look and it's a sharp jacket, so what the hell.

Thanks for your feedback!

11. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Senior member

12. Jeffijers

Jeffijers Member

13. CousinDonuts

I have wondered about that one too. I have the dark grey napoli, which is their charcoal. Look at the napoli grey houndstooth check. I would say this is your standard lighter shade grey, and the one you quoted is in between. So, not quite charcoal, but not a light/mid grey. 75% grey.

14. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

+1 the vast majority of SS critics are ignorant to the brand. 99% of the items do not include any poly. Yes, I've been on a SS crusade today.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013