Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Essential

Essential Senior member

I have an experience that I didn't post previously. I went this past Saturday and tried on the Napoli. The salesperson was very helpful and was able to pick a size for me without asking me. Of course, I'm a bit short and small so the suit didn't fit perfectly. The suit's shoulders were just a centimeter or two off. The salesperson didn't pressure me to buy the suit and told me that nothing in the store probably fit me because I was too small. He was small too, though bigger than me, and sympathized with me by saying he knew how hard it was to find the perfect fit. He even gave me a few tips about where to go and find suits better suited for me. I had a very good experience. Perhaps when I get older (still a teenager), I'll work out my shoulders more to get a centimeter and actually fit the suit.

Besides that, the workers there were impeccably dressed.

2. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

I think SS uses factories in 3 different countries. It's possible that the consistency between them is off.

3. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Good point, your def. right!

4. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

According to a rep, all of the "redline" suits are made with full-canvass construction. Can anyone attest to this?

5. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

It would make sense.. their blue line is half-canvassed and thus less expensive..so I would not be surprised..

6. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

got 2 copenhagen + 1 italia jacket

the italia fit spot on. i like everything about it. had to order -2 size down
    the copenhagen were also sized down -2, but they were very tight in the waist. too tight. i imagine if sizing up it'd be a bit better but the proportions wouldnt still be to my taste.

the measurement seems really funky across the model lines. there might be some errors in their measurement ?

overall the cut is about 1" shorter than is traditional

packaged extremely well - shipped individually in large coffin boxes with a nice thick hanger and a coat bag.

returning the copenhagen - thanks for the included prepaid stamp. will buy more in future, but from their B&M mortar store

Last edited: May 14, 2012

7. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I agree the packaging was very impressive. There was something weird/off about the fits of their suit. They are not true to size. For example their 36's seem more of a 37 and their 38s are about a 41. Odd stuff, hopefully they can fix it. I wish there was a store to try the suit on besides NYC. That would solve many issues.

8. chaney1

chaney1 Well-Known Member

^^^^^ They are opening a store in DC by July in gtown according to customer service. Cant wait!

9. barbaresco

barbaresco Member

Copenhagen was also to tight in the waist for me (tried both 36 and 38, and I am normally between 36 and 38), both were sent back. Pity since I really liked the fit over the shoulders.

10. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Not worth letting them out in the waist?

11. bluesman528

bluesman528 Senior member

No. Most of the red-line suit models (and all in their online shop) use the Sienna cut. The higher pricing for the Sienna suits mainly comes from their more expensive fabrics. Here is an old description from their website concerning the Sienna cut:

"The Sienna is our most exclusive model. The hand tailoring and craftsmanship involved in creating the Sienna afford it a level comfort and attention to detail that can only be obtained by the most skilled craftsman. The Sienna has a half canvas front and handmade canvas collar for maximum comfort and fit. Other features include a rounded Italian shoulder, horn buttons, special red lining and front ticket pocket. The Sienna also has several handmade details such as handset soft sleeve, underarm sousbras and handmade buttonholes."

The Jort cut which is not available in their online shop is indeed fully canvassed. But this cut is considerably more expensive than their red-line Sienna suits, €699 in Europe.

12. yywwyy

yywwyy Senior member

Whats the Jort cut like? I do remember seeing them, but never tried on one.

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

^^ I'm about 85% sure my Sienna is fully canvased.

I went in last week to look at fabrics, and there was a guy working there who will be the manager in the Chicago store that is opening later this summer. He said they will be expanding brick and mortar to all the usual suspects: DC and Chicago initially, then LA, SF, Dallas, Miami, Denver, Atlanta, etc.....You get the picture. Seems like they're really doing well, which is good, because all lameness of their media stuff aside, they make affordable suits for people who previously dressed like absolute shit.

Last edited: May 16, 2012

14. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

you are 6'4", that makes you an extra long. does SS stock extra longs.

15. barbaresco

barbaresco Member

Well it might have been. I could button the 38 but the arms were a bit to long. The 36 I could not even button and that had the best fit in arms and shoulders.