• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say he comes across as a pretentious jerk, but there is a certain smugness to his look that turns me off. It's just his inherent look, he could be a nice guy, but it's unfortunate. I also find his in-between facial hair kind of annoying. But SS seems to love him. He's been their go-to guy for a while now. I believe I read somewhere that he's from Europe, maybe Belgian or something. And in those ads where he and a girl were basically licking each other, that was his actual girlfriend.
You're right, smugness is the term I was looking for. And the ads probably don't help in that regard, though I think I had that impression from before those ads too. Also I did not know it was his girlfriend, although that's even weirder maybe.

JTS

Reaction score
SS’s marketing strategy is always a little "extra" and over the top. Personally I like it. The classic menswear guys alter ego. So, like any campaign the talent (Robin) is just hitting the brief.

Robin’s IG is @robin2ko if you wanna see him outside SS.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're right, smugness is the term I was looking for. And the ads probably don't help in that regard, though I think I had that impression from before those ads too. Also I did not know it was his girlfriend, although that's even weirder maybe.

His girlfriend is also a model.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Robin’s IG is @robin2ko if you wanna see him outside SS.
I don't have IG so can only see a couple shots, but they look often in the same taste as SS ads (indeed many are the same shots).

SS’s marketing strategy is always a little "extra" and over the top. Personally I like it. The classic menswear guys alter ego. So, like any campaign the talent (Robin) is just hitting the brief.

Too flashy (almost vulgar?) for me, makes me think of a (imo) legendary rant by Crompton (https://www.permanentstyle.com/2015/09/i-am-not-a-gentleman.html)
But I suppose the strategy must work or they'd stop doing it.

But anyway, their ads have been intentionally riding controversy for a long time, that's not news. I try to ignore them (though they make it hard, plastering them all over the main page).

Last edited:

RFX35

Reaction score
This is really bizarre but it looks like they added $40-$100 to suits and coats on their US website. I’ve been watching a lot of pieces and just noticed it. As a matter of fact, I can confirm because I bought two suits last Saturday online for $359 and $399 and they are now $399 and $449, respectively. Sheesh.

Habe there been any updates regarding the outlet? It appears last years was during the week of Black Friday so if they decide to do it again, we may be ~2-3 weeks out. I need to go to a brick and mortar either this weekend or next so I plan to do some fishing then as well if no one has an answer.

Davakint

Reaction score
This is really bizarre but it looks like they added $40-$100 to suits and coats on their US website. I’ve been watching a lot of pieces and just noticed it. As a matter of fact, I can confirm because I bought two suits last Saturday online for $359 and $399 and they are now $399 and $449, respectively. Sheesh.

Habe there been any updates regarding the outlet? It appears last years was during the week of Black Friday so if they decide to do it again, we may be ~2-3 weeks out. I need to go to a brick and mortar either this weekend or next so I plan to do some fishing then as well if no one has an answer.
Thought I saw someone mention that they weren't planning to do outlets anytime soon. Because of dropped sales during the covid period and 'repairing the brand name'.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

RFX35

Reaction score
Thought I saw someone mention that they weren't planning to do outlets anytime soon. Because of dropped sales during the covid period and 'repairing the brand name'.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think I read that theory/potential theory in this thread months ago too. I was hoping there was more concrete information now that we’re closer to the time it would actually occur.

Regardless, I am still a little disappointed in the pricing uptick during the middle of the season. Some of the items I was contemplating purchasing don’t look as attractive anymore.

nzahir

Reaction score

No idea if we will get an outlet, but I am really hoping

I am still working from home for at least half of next year, maybe all of it

And in the future I will be going in way less than before it looks like, but I would love a few nice suits to have in case and for formal events

If anyone has any 38s sienna or havana's, I may be interested

nttdocomo

Reaction score
TBH I think chances of an outlet are pretty slim. It's possible, I suppose, to simply move through some of the stock, but with the women's line closing, home office, generally worse and worse standards of dress, lockdowns, bla bla... I don't think they'll have a lot of stock left over anyway—the general stock supplies are pretty low as it is.

As a general fan of SS, I personally hope that they can weather the storm and keep going. They've offered some great RTW pieces over the years and I really like their stuff.

Their customer support is really good imo, and they've helped me in a pinch. I visited the US on a work trip and ripped a pair of trousers. Not only did they repair them, they also tapered them somewhat. It saved me attempting to find a tailor in an unknown city, which is no mean feat.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they're in trouble at all, but they have been working on not overstocking the 'seasonal' items. Outlet is probably unlikely, but we will have to see what happens on Black Friday.

EthansAlley

Reaction score
Even though the Jort collection has been discontinued, does Suitsupply still do a mid-season drop that otherwise would have been part of the Jort collection?

Goofy

Reaction score
TBH I think chances of an outlet are pretty slim. It's possible, I suppose, to simply move through some of the stock, but with the women's line closing, home office, generally worse and worse standards of dress, lockdowns, bla bla... I don't think they'll have a lot of stock left over anyway—the general stock supplies are pretty low as it is.

As a general fan of SS, I personally hope that they can weather the storm and keep going. They've offered some great RTW pieces over the years and I really like their stuff.

Their customer support is really good imo, and they've helped me in a pinch. I visited the US on a work trip and ripped a pair of trousers. Not only did they repair them, they also tapered them somewhat. It saved me attempting to find a tailor in an unknown city, which is no mean feat.
I totally agree with your assessment. When supply is low due to lack of resources, potential loss of revenue is compensated by increasing prices of leftover stock, which has the added bonus of adding to the brand cache and exclusivity making it more appealing to wealthier consumers.
Simple supply and demand economics.
Outlet sales would only makes sense if the’d be overstocked, which they aren’t.
There may be a Black Friday sale on selected item, but by increasing prices before hand they minimize their losses. Unbeknownst to the unwitting customers they’ll still be paying full price.

Last edited:

Davakint

Reaction score
Went to check the physical outlet yesterday and managed to get these gorgeous trousers for €58.
IMG_20211114_140349.jpg
IMG_20211114_140354.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads