• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

db9sfast

Reaction score
Actually prefer SM over SS at this point

Very strongly disagree. I became a susu fan almost instantaneously. Customer service was just that good. SM can’t even offer free returns. Even in North America seem very substandard compared to the entire susu experience.

Susu instore experience is very premium. When you sell a premium product, you need to create that experience through all channels. SM does none of that. SM store look like Men’s Warehouse store. SM doesn’t have campaigns like susu and the online store is very inferior in selling an experience on par with susu. Even SM models are very generic and selling 1 product, whereas Susu sells the entire “look”, not just a jacket.

Susu has had crazy sales with unbeatable pricing. SM has been very mediocre in terms of sales that they can’t even match susu prices at those sale times. So I keep getting more heavily invested with susu.

SM has done nothing enticing me to even buy 1 suit. Not through pricing and not even their designs. At this point I’m not looking for a Grey or charcoal suit. SM does very little outside norms. And it is widely suggested to novice shoppers as their first suit (which I’m not even sure how good they are). Susu is always worth the premium as it is a brand that has always given me everything that I need.

It has come to the point that I even convinced other people to “downgrade” to susu, because frankly their $2000 designer suits becomes harder to justify.

Talking about bespoke, it’s not exactly what it’s hyped out to be (after I discovered susu) I’ve tried that route. Every suit comes out different. Again this is personal, my bespoke tailor was a letdown, in terms of Design, fit and pricing. With susu I know exactly the fit I’m going to get even 5 year later. I just need to stay fit (the reason I do). My bespoke tailor is just as happy to do minor adjustments as long as I am happy.

As someone heavily invested in Susu, there is very little SM does better. There was no reason to switch.

To tell it frankly, Susu sells an experience. Not the product. It has saved me money, but considering that I spend atleast $10k every year on susu, I highly doubt it. I can never imagine spending $10k on clothes. But it’s all susu’s fault and value proposition.

Daraven

Reaction score
SM has been mediocore in terms of sales? That's not even remotely true. I think the number one problem with SuSu is that their styling gets more and more ridiculous with each season. Just look at the proportions of their double breasted jackets... Not to mention stuffing plenty people into yoga pants tight dress trousers.

Yes SuSu sells an experience and it also increasingly tries to appeal to 'hip' young professionals who think very tight fits make them look good. But that deviates rather far from what CM enthusiast are interested in at this point, I think.

pomor

Reaction score
So, we may have come to the end of an era. There are winter pre-order items being dropped on the site right now - this usually happens after the summer outlet. There's a very high chance at this point that there will not be a summer outlet this year but if there is going to be one it's going to be either next week or the one after. Perhaps, they will repeat an after-Thanksgiving outlet again.

TheSupplier

Reaction score
So, we may have come to the end of an era. There are winter pre-order items being dropped on the site right now - this usually happens after the summer outlet. There's a very high chance at this point that there will not be a summer outlet this year but if there is going to be one it's going to be either next week or the one after. Perhaps, they will repeat an after-Thanksgiving outlet again.

I HIGHLY doubt there’s gonna be one. Warehouse and stores are empty. There’s even outlet merchandise in the retail stores at full price right now because theres no more stock.

kithking23

Reaction score
I HIGHLY doubt there’s gonna be one. Warehouse and stores are empty. There’s even outlet merchandise in the retail stores at full price right now because theres no more stock.
Probably because you’ve purchased half the stock and sold it for a premium?

acg2010

Reaction score
SM has been mediocore in terms of sales? That's not even remotely true. I think the number one problem with SuSu is that their styling gets more and more ridiculous with each season. Just look at the proportions of their double breasted jackets... Not to mention stuffing plenty people into yoga pants tight dress trousers.

Yes SuSu sells an experience and it also increasingly tries to appeal to 'hip' young professionals who think very tight fits make them look good. But that deviates rather far from what CM enthusiast are interested in at this point, I think.

Also, questioning the quality is odd—they're made in the same factory with fabrics from the same mills. (There's a reason the contemporary cut in SM is identical in measurement to SuSu Havana—it's the same block.) Sometimes you even see the same fabric from SuSu before or after SM. SuSu is a marketing powerhouse, there's no question. But SM has never tried to be that. And agree that SuSu gets outrageous. How many business people are wearing a purple suit to work? I like both, and with CM they tend to overlap significantly in that slice. I tend to go SuSu for slightly more edgy patterned fabrics that SM doesn't carry because its size can't justify it.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember to stick to the products when comparing SM and SS…..that’s a fair deal. But to compare the organizations is not apples-to-apples. SuSu is a global corporation and SM is a local Toronto organization. What is so hard to understand?

@kithking23 you mad bro? So Kith can sell for a profit but not an individual? I don’t understand your comment

kithking23

Reaction score
Remember to stick to the products when comparing SM and SS…..that’s a fair deal. But to compare the organizations is not apples-to-apples. SuSu is a global corporation and SM is a local Toronto organization. What is so hard to understand?

@kithking23 you mad bro? So Kith can sell for a profit but not an individual? I don’t understand your comment
I’m pulling his leg,nothing to see here

twodice1

Reaction score
Picked up the brown herringbone safari jacket but need the temperature to come down some before putting it to good use.

Attachments

• 76414442-8D08-49A5-89EF-D268ADEF5F5F.jpeg
    76414442-8D08-49A5-89EF-D268ADEF5F5F.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 69921850-9C9E-4E16-BC77-BA3FA99713E4.jpeg
    69921850-9C9E-4E16-BC77-BA3FA99713E4.jpeg
    246.8 KB · Views: 126
  • FACDF5D2-98C9-424D-B4E8-409ECEFFDAEA.jpeg
    FACDF5D2-98C9-424D-B4E8-409ECEFFDAEA.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 136
  • F6422435-6279-464A-B2B2-43464449A069.jpeg
    F6422435-6279-464A-B2B2-43464449A069.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 336

caschta

Reaction score
Also, questioning the quality is odd—they're made in the same factory with fabrics from the same mills. (There's a reason the contemporary cut in SM is identical in measurement to SuSu Havana—it's the same block.) Sometimes you even see the same fabric from SuSu before or after SM. SuSu is a marketing powerhouse, there's no question. But SM has never tried to be that. And agree that SuSu gets outrageous. How many business people are wearing a purple suit to work? I like both, and with CM they tend to overlap significantly in that slice. I tend to go SuSu for slightly more edgy patterned fabrics that SM doesn't carry because its size can't justify it.
Are your points backed up by facts or is it just a feeling based on rumours?

The Havana and SM Contemporary are not quite the same - the SM is fairly roomier - but this could be also achieved by some tweaks here and there without changing the block pattern and I have been fooled.

SM doesn't need the marketing beacuse they are operating in very low volumes compared to SuSu. And at some point people are over that "buying an experience"; especially when they are more involved in clothing, and typically order online. Then I'll prefer the lower price. Unfortunately SM is not present in Europe - so I'm stuck with SuSu for the most part.

acg2010

Reaction score
Are your points backed up by facts or is it just a feeling based on rumours?

The Havana and SM Contemporary are not quite the same - the SM is fairly roomier - but this could be also achieved by some tweaks here and there without changing the block pattern and I have been fooled.

SM doesn't need the marketing beacuse they are operating in very low volumes compared to SuSu. And at some point people are over that "buying an experience"; especially when they are more involved in clothing, and typically order online. Then I'll prefer the lower price. Unfortunately SM is not present in Europe - so I'm stuck with SuSu for the most part.

A while back SM responded to someone on here that there suits are made in the same factory as SuSu. The measurements were identical on the Havana and Contemporary jackets at the time they responded—part of the reason I switched to them. I know SuSu has made some tweaks to the Havana fit, in part because they've folded other cuts into the Havana name, e.g., the Hudson is now the Havana Wide Lapel, so things may be slightly different now.

ETA: It does look like SM Contemporary waist is a little under half inch roomier now. Hadn't paid that much attention bc I switched to Slim when I went to SM, eliminated a good bit of the tailoring I needed on the Havana. But the other measurements all remain identical (chest, length, shoulder width), except the sleeves—SuSu loves to cut their sleeves short it seems. It's my biggest challenge with them. (I have too much distance from first button to edge. But it doesn't bother me that much.)

Last edited:

Davidos

Reaction score
Has anyone recently tried their SS polos in wool? The arms look so short?
8D595D0E-DB75-47A1-9C0E-54BE2496B566.jpeg

Jlee80

Reaction score
Anyone looking for a 42s Lazio suit in dark gray and navy. These are the exact same models as the ones that you can “mix and match” on their website. 36s waist trousers with a 27 inseam. Slight taper in upper and lower leg as well. $275/each or $500 for both. PM me for pics

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Havana suits half canvas construction is the standard 4 layer or the lighter 2 layer?

Asking because I got a MTM suit there and chose the Havana unstructured shoulder, but picked standard 4 layer canvassing and I’m now wondering if I should’ve done the lighter 2 layer if that’s what all the Havana ready to wear jackets in the store are. Basically, I’m wondering if a totally unstructured shoulder won’t match a 4 layer canvas that’s possibly better for a more structured shoulder.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics