1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Well-Known Member

I just pulled the trigger and ordered this jacket myself....for $150 y not

2. terty

terty Member

Hey guys in regards to sizing, should I trust the website. A few pages back someone who virtually was the same height and weight said the 34R Napoli fits him well. I followed the sizing guide on the website and they recommend a 36R.

Which would you recommend I choose (saying this, because i've found sizing guides on websites can be totally useless in determining the right size).

3. breakaway01

breakaway01 Well-Known Member

I would look at the suit measurements that they post online for each of their cuts (you can see them if you go through the size advisor).

I am 5'10", 145 lb, and usually wear 36R jackets. The SS size advisor also recommended 34R for me, which did fit me better than the 36R in the shoulders. Note that the Napoli cut has wide shoulders: the 34R Napoli has shoulders (17.8") about as wide as the 38R Havana or Sienna (17.7"). However, I had to have the sleeves lengthened and the waist let out a bit.

4. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Where or how did you get it for that price?

5. Mr Engineer

It's the current price on the website.There is about 6 items from the s/s collection marked down to $149

6. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Well-Known Member

Compare the measurements to yourself and then order 2 sizes.

7. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Just placed an order

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  8. badsha

badsha Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of the Christopher Fit in 36. Please excuse the Chinos and Shirt. Hot today in LA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  9. roquesoon

roquesoon Well-Known Member

Seems a little tight. Not terrible generally, but the combination of the large bottom pockets and the waist suppression looks unflattering on you. If you could let the waist out it might be alright. I'd think about sizing up though. Might cause shoulder and sleeve length issues, however...

10. CousinDonuts

I have yet to figure out exactly what the purpose of that Christopher jacket is. Casual? 70s business?

11. Spandexter

Spandexter Well-Known Member

It certainly is an odd one......

12. mothon

mothon Well-Known Member

Choc the Washington looks really good. The left sleeve has some creasing but other than that it perfect.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member

Re; the Christopher fit pic upthread - it looks a bit snug around the chest (could be a secondary effect of tightness around the waist, or independent of that. Not sure). I don't think it's very flattering on your build, though I must admit that I'm biased as, like CousinDonuts, I can't really see a niche for this style. If it had notch lapels, maybe as a good casual jacket for denim or cavalry twill or the like. But with the peaks... yeah, I just don't get it. Fabric looks nice though.

BTW, the stuff I ordered below has arrived. I greatly recommend the navy flannel chalkstripe Soho. The stripe is soft, and more towards brown than the ochre that the website pics suggest. Really, really nice. Can't wait to get it tailored, and it even makes me look forward to cooler days.

Now I just need to sell some stuff to pay for this little splurge. Will be listing an Ede bespoke and an Ede MTM linen suit soon! :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  14. The Transporter

The Transporter Well-Known Member

I stopped by the Chicago store last night after work looking for a couple suits in 44L. I tried on the London, Napoli, Sienna, and even the Sevilla. I skipped the Washington since I've tried it before and it's way too tight in the arms. I'm 6'4" and 225 pounds and built like Alcide from "True Blood" without the abs. 50" around the shoulders, 42" chest, 34.5" waist, 25" thighs

Anyway, I loved the London jacket right off and it fit perfectly. The Napoli was great, too, and even though the jacket is shorter it's still pretty long. Wish the buttons were a hair lower but not much you can do about that. I didn't like the Sienna as it felt weird and the soft-shoulders didn't really appeal to me. The Sevilla was a funky blue color, almost iridescent and the fit was decent, especially for $399. They didn't have a Jort in my size so probably for the best. :)

After I narrowed it down to the London and the Napoli it was time to try on the pants, which was the part that was making me nervous from the start. I actually work out and do squats and deadlifts so I don't have the typical chicken legs of a Dior model. The London pants were about as snug all around as I'd want. I was even able to sit down in them (pretty important!!!) without feeling like I was being squeezed into sausage casings. Pretty close but bearable.

No such luck with the Napoli pants! Definite sausage casings right from the get go. Definitely not a fan of the skinny pant trend.

I went in knowing that I wanted a navy suit as well as charcoal since my current versions are over four years old (Baroni and Valentino from Wizard of Ahhs) and wearing out. I definitely wanted the London in navy (super dark navy, by the way, and love the color) and asked if I could get it in charcoal. No such luck as London only comes in the one color. Too bad as that cut in a 44L fits me perfectly and Benjamin even commented I should be a fit model for that cut and size since the only alterations off the rack would be to cuff the pants.

Since I also wanted charcoal he had my try on the Napoli jacket and pants again and see what they could do about the pants. Guess they can let out the inner side seam and the seat and they'd fit better. Add cuffs and tweak a bit around the collar in the back and the Napoli was fine. Figure what the hell as I'm buying a $500 suit and not RLBL. Can't be any worse than the horrible MTM suit I got from Sebastien Grey last year.

So I'm going to give these two a shot for around $1100 with tax and alterations and see how they work out when they're ready later next week. They're really just for work and I get a lot of use out of them wearing suits three days a week. I have some others I can rotate in on the third day along with my old ones when the weather is crappy.

They also had the blue shawl collared tuxedo in a 44R so I just tried the jacket for kicks. I have a holiday party every year where it would be perfect. Just have to think about it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  15. Euklides

Euklides Member

Today I received a navy plain Havana jacket. I must have messed up with the measurements though, since it was way too large. A new one has been ordered, and I do like their return policies.

Beautiful jacket, and I'm looking forward to wearing it!

16. jediknighttt

jediknighttt Member

Anybody know if the Napoli "navy" is actually Navy? It seems a little light.
    Does the "dark gray" mean charcoal?

I'm asking in terms of comparing the colors to the standard navy/charcoal colors for job interviews.

17. Ebichuman

Ebichuman Well-Known Member

It's darker IRL, very appropriate for interviews as a staple navy suit.

18. Mr Engineer

Jacket looks fine to me.Dont like the jacket though

19. CousinDonuts

Agree, standard navy, but not a matted color. Yes, the dark gray is charcoal.