1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Suitsupply NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by musicguy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

+1

Further, to mess around with the shoulders at best will cost you big $$ from your tailor, and at worst, will cost you a suit + the tailors bill.

Napoli doesn't work for me, either. Thankfully there's a lot in Havana and Sienna offerings!

1 person likes this.
  2. facet

facet Senior member

Just bought a couple sport coats and wondering if I can get your opinions on the fit (don't mind the ugly golf shirt). First one is the light brown Havana in linen

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The fit feels pretty good in the shoulders, although the armholes are not as high as I was hoping/expecting; I would have to get the waist taken in and sleeves shortened if I kept it. What struck me when I first tried it on was just how high the button stance was and felt when buttoning it up and it felt a touch short that I'm wondering if a regular would be better.

The second on is the Copenhagen light brown check

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fit seems to be better off the bat, although there seems to be something funky going on at the waist that I can't figure out. As well, I think that I wouldn't have enough room to shorten the sleeves at the ends (ie, it would have to be done at the shoulders, f#$%ing pre-cut functional buttonholes).

Since I'm at it: any feelings on which would be more versatile? It would be mostly for office use, and I already have a navy (don't like the fit too much so I'll replace sometime in the future) and a black/white herringbone so I was looking for something for the summer. If I was to stay with the Copenhagen, I'm a little worried the check pattern would make it harder to match as most of my shirts are sometime of plaid/check pattern already.... maybe I already answered my own question.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

None of those is very versatile. If you don't have a proper navy jacket I'd make that your priority.

4. konda

konda Senior member

Light brown Havana if absolutely needed. Based on your questions you are already at a loss with the checked CPH so return it. But the Havana is too big so size down or do alterations. Remember working cuffs so check how big an operation shortening the sleeves is. Like Monkey said, go for a navy jacket. A man needs more than a single navy jacket anyways.

5. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

T

Thanks. I guess we will see as I already agreed and need the suit next month.

The shoulders fit me so I don't think he is changing them that much but rather didn't like the shape of the pad. At least that is what I am telling myself as I would like to not be out $600+ and with no suit for my event!

He was just mumbling about how the people in the factory messed up the shoulders and don't know what they are doing. He is charinging me $100 for the shoulders and a small tweak to the back. He said it was about 1-2 hours of work.

6. facet

facet Senior member

Thanks guys, appreciate the honest feedback and will be returning those.

7. kulata

kulata Senior member

He is probably going to reinforce the padding with massive padding for a suit designed to be soft. Please post pics when he is done with the surgery:D

8. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

No quite the opposite

He showed me a Canani sportcoat he had just worked on. He was talking about softening the shoulders a bit more

9. sean anon

sean anon Senior member

Better detail from whom? I am not experienced with tailored clothes and he is the expert

10. bapelolol

bapelolol Senior member

Are the jacket proportions on regular and short the same (short = just shorter sleeve/body) or are they noticeably different? The measurements for short jackets seems like they are wider in the chest/upper waist but shorter in the sleeve/length.

11. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

I believe it may vary by model. A while back someone posted comparison shots of a regular and long of the same model - I believe it was a Havana, that indicated that the only difference between them on that model was the overall length and sleeve length. The button stance was identical - they just lengthened the hem, giving the long a proportionately higher button stance.

IIRC, the shorts are sometimes very different from the regulars.

12. plainnerd

plainnerd Well-Known Member

My Soho jacket just came in and I can't quite decide if I like it or not. The material feels great, I like the color, and it seems to fit well, but I just don't know when I look in the mirror. Any opinions? Ignore the pants, they were just what I was wearing when it showed up.

[​IMG]

13. WorldWideWafflz

WorldWideWafflz Senior member

I think you should go with your gut instinct and return it. The Soho cut isn't very suited to your frame.

2 people like this.
  14. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If it's not a full suit, then return it. It looks like you're wearing a peacoat.

15. plainnerd

Yeah, it's just not flattering on me in any way and does no favors to my cycling body. Other jackets and suits make me think "I look good in this" this makes me think "well I really like the fabric." It'll go back in the morning.

16. WorldWideWafflz

WorldWideWafflz Senior member

Cycling? Where do you ride?

As a fellow cyclist I find the Washington cut (the full lined is the best, I almost can't believe how well it fits, and would be my only choice for a suit. The half-lined works in a pinch for sport coats--it's just a tiny bit short and tight even for my scrawny torso) to be excellent if you can handle the peak lapels casually, you were going DB odd jacket so I'm assuming you can. If you want notched I think the havana is basically the same cut as the half-lined Washington and that's what they do most of their jackets in so you'd have a lot of choices if you went with it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  17. plainnerd

I spent the last 10 years racing UCI Pro, now I'm retired and into the normal working life, I've still got the severely underdeveloped upper body and strong lower body though (32 chest 31 waist).

I picked up the Washington a few weeks ago actually and really like it, it fits well with only a few small tweaks so I decided to take a shot at this while on sale.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Yeah, definitely not flattering on him. Return++.

FWIW, here's a Soho on someone (me) who, by contrast, does virtually no exercise. Not the same material as his, but just to show the fit can look very different on different people.

1 person likes this.
  19. konda

konda Senior member

The Soho is good for a skinny frame and for people whose asses are close to the width of their shoulders. Based on the picture your ass is considerably wider than your shoulders (i.e cycler's ass) thus making the Soho look like a bell.

[​IMG]

20. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

I'm of a similar build... what would you suggest for more "hourglass" shaped bodies?