• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, haven't considered that, I thought the ones posted in the site were accurate, but certainly I will write them. Thanks for that!
Yeah, the measurements are generally correct, but sometimes the way the picture shows it's measured is not how it's actually measured.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, the measurements are generally correct, but sometimes the way the picture shows it's measured is not how it's actually measured.

And what is listed may not always be what shows up. My 2 suits are the same cut and size from the same season, and one I had to tailor the body the other I didn't. go figure. BUT, shoulders, length, sleeves, chest were all the same.

Displacement

Reaction score
This photo SS just posted on Tumblr is freaking killing me. You make a midnight blue shawl-lapel tuxedo now? Really? That's funny because the 2 stores I called said they hadn't had it for ages.

Oh well, it's probably too blue anyway. That's how I'll rationalize it.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What a sack of douches.

:happy::happy:

Their tackle is really nice Sheepy, but by Christ they have some godawful photos on their site with horrific fitting suits on their models. And what's with them all carrying huge bags with them?

And he didn't even post the "tech vest over suit jacket" images...

Lavoisier

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase some Napoli suits but, even after searching the forums for advice, I'm very confused about what size I should get. Here are my measurements:

Height: 6'2"
Chest: 40"
Shoulders accross: 20.8"
Upper waist: 35"
Lower waist: 36"

As you can see, I'm slim, tall and broad shouldered.

Their size advisor tells me I should get a 38R but I'm pretty sure that's too short and too tight, as I'm usually a 42L.

I'm mostly concerned with shoulder and sleeve length - my waist I expect to be smaller in the coming months - so can anyone spare some advice regarding the Napoli fit for a fella such as myself?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are 20.8 in the shoulders, you should probably be looking in the 48L.. but that does not sound right though.. how are you a 20.8 shoulder wise and still fit into 42L's? Most 42L's are like 19" shoulder wise..maybe you might have that wrong? Im very broad shouldered..and Im 20.4" and could not fathom into fitting into anything smaller than a 44L.. and that has to be a pretty roomy 44L..

biged781

Reaction score
I just measured 5 of my jackets to make sure. I wear a 40 or a 42 R depending on the cut. They all measure at least 20" seam to seam, some 21.

Lavoisier

Reaction score
Hahah, you guys just confused me even more. =P

I had trouble measuring my shoulder length, but I felt I got a pretty accurate measurement by just extending the tape going over the back of my neck with my head curved forward - I went from just over one shoulder bone ending to the other.

Biged781, from what I understood you just confirmed that 40" and 42" jackets can accommodate someone with shoulders like mine, yes? Are your jackets from suit supply?

Thanks for the replys, but I'm still in the dark here regarding the Napoli cut.

EDIT: Remeasured in the manner described above just to be sure - there's definitely something between 20" and 21" there.

Last edited:

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are 20.8 in the shoulders, you should probably be looking in the 48L.. but that does not sound right though.. how are you a 20.8 shoulder wise and still fit into 42L's? Most 42L's are like 19" shoulder wise..maybe you might have that wrong? Im very broad shouldered..and Im 20.4" and could not fathom into fitting into anything smaller than a 44L.. and that has to be a pretty roomy 44L..

20.8 inch shoulder and a 40 inch chest doesn't seem to add up at all, even for a broad shouldered person. Measure across the top back of your best fitting shirt or suit to get a good estimate

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
20.8 shoulders and 40 chest? If I measure my shoulders from the back I get a measurement of 20" and a 42.5" chest but they fit in a 19 shoulder jacket, don't ask why that happens. Then I usually buy RTW jackets with 19.5 because of my sloping shoulders. Most of those jackets needs to be 44 or for example in the Zegna slim cut a 46. That's why the measurement of the (I forgot the name of the model) jacket that have a 19" shoulder and 40 chest make me doubt. You should go to a local store and try different sizes and when you find one that fits nice in the shoulder ask for the tailor to measure it. It's what I do and has worked.

Lavoisier

Reaction score
Ok, so I took measurements from a decently fitting suit jacket I have, as requested; it's a bit too long and too wide at the waist, but sleeve and shoulder length seem about right - though I'm thinking shoulder could afford to be a half inch longer.

The measurements:

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 47 cm / 18.5"

Shoulder end of pad to end of pad : 49 cm / 19.2"

Sleeve: 67 cm / 26.3"

This should give a decent notion of how the jacket fits me:

And how the measurements were taken - tape in centimeters (mind you, I stretched the tape, but I obviously couldn't do that while taking pics):

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam

Suit shoulder end of pad to end of pad:

Sleeve:

Lavoisier

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but, like you, I'm no expert =]

It's why I mentioned the shoulder could be about a half inch longer, though 1 inch longer is probably more like it.

So, which Napoli size has 19.5" shoulders going from seam to seam?

researchingsf

Reaction score
I believe the Napoli 42S and 42R are 19.4 and 42L is 19.5 from shoulder seam to shoulder seam, I would try that size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads