• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Related gripe: having so few half-lived or unlined options in the summer selection. Their summer suits suck.

pomor

Reaction score
It's too bad SS loves to cut corners with Polyester lining even on the Jort line, that's my big gripe. I can't deal with polyester lining with the humid DC summers.
I wonder if this is a new trend? I will check every single one of my 20+ SS jackets and suits and report back. The last one I bought was in May

mrw464

Reaction score
I wonder if this is a new trend? I will check every single one of my 20+ SS jackets and suits and report back. The last one I bought was in May
SS has been mixing polyester into their sleeves for quite some time. I believe they also use either straight up polyester or a blend for the trousers. I think maybe 3-4+ years ago they didn't use polyester and just used straight cupro, but I could be wrong on that.

Another place SS cuts corners is buttons. Not using real horn I think.

I'm just surprised that even on the Jort line that they aren't using straight up cupro. Especially when for example Cavour has a full-canvas suit on sale for upper $400s made in Italy. But Cavour doesn't make size 44 (italian/eu) whereas Suitsupply makes size 34R US.

pomor

Reaction score
I just did a random check of my stuff. Took about 8 photos. Most of my SS stuff was bought in 2014-2018

Attachments

Last edited:

pomor

Reaction score
Yeah, on the sleeves it’s always a viscose/polyester mix.

My last acquired jacket has lining that‘s 35 cotton 65 poly

Thilgela

Reaction score
They claim poly-blend is stronger, which is kinda true, but also cheaper. So, go figure.

pomor

Reaction score
They claim poly-blend is stronger, which is kinda true, but also cheaper. So, go figure.
I mean, I agree with most SS criticisms. Complacency is always bad — still waiting, though, for a solid competitor to come on the market with their reach, service, production output, price point and variety every season

Thilgela

Reaction score
I mean, I agree with most SS criticisms. Complacency is always bad — still waiting, though, for a solid competitor to come on the market with their reach, service, production output, price point and variety every season
Yeah, I like their products as well. Almost half of my wardrobe is SS, the sleeve lining thing is really the only pet-peeve i have with them.

pomor

Reaction score
SS has been mixing polyester into their sleeves for quite some time. I believe they also use either straight up polyester or a blend for the trousers. I think maybe 3-4+ years ago they didn't use polyester and just used straight cupro, but I could be wrong on that.

Another place SS cuts corners is buttons. Not using real horn I think.

I'm just surprised that even on the Jort line that they aren't using straight up cupro. Especially when for example Cavour has a full-canvas suit on sale for upper $400s made in Italy. But Cavour doesn't make size 44 (italian/eu) whereas Suitsupply makes size 34R US.
Are you Norwegian? Is Cavour primarily Nordics oriented or do they ship world wide? Will check them out

mrw464

Reaction score
Are you Norwegian? Is Cavour primarily Nordics oriented or do they ship world wide? Will check them out
It blocked me from posting a link but it's the high-twist suit on cavour's site.

I am American, not Norwegian. The cloth in the aforementioned suit is VBC. They have an affiliate thread here as well. Should be free shipping via DHL at that price point.

Berg&Berg is another option (which I have a few jackets from since they carry IT44). End of season sales feature that 400-600 pricepoint for full canvas, Italian made and Italian cut.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.